root voiding contract

michaelnote

Reaction score
hello, I am somewhat new to droid and the forums and thereforehave a few questions. I have had the droid for a few months now, and am wondering about rooting. I currently have a two year contract with Verizon, and am wondering if rooting would cause them to not except my phone for an upgrade after the two year contract is up. That or if any other alterations would be made involving my plan and contract. Also, what is your general opinion on rooting? Do the pros outweigh the cons? Is it worth it?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
no, it just voids the manufacturers warranty, at least to my knowledge.

however if you wiresless tether, then that has to do with verizon's contract and could be a breach.

i've even heard of some users sending in rooted phones for CLNR, but other than that, i don't believe rooting voids your verizon contract.

you can also unroot it if you have to return it or something, they'll never notice.

Tillmorn

Reaction score
Generally, the pros far outweigh the cons with rooting. For most phones developers have come up with a relatively easy way to root, with little chance of anything bad happening to your phone.

While I'm not entirely up to speed on rooting D2G's, I will say that rooting (and eventually flashing a rom...not sure of the rom scene for D2G's) brought my Eris back to life, giving me better battery life and an all around snappier performance boost...a feat I thought impossible at this point.

Beka27

Reaction score
Very little voids your contract. You could throw the phone off of a cliff, and would still have a monthly contract. Lol...

OP
M

michaelnote

Reaction score
Thank you all for the information it has helped alot. I usually like figuring things out by myself but I was actually concerned and you very much cleared things up. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Card

Reaction score
Generally speaking, your contract with Verizon is pretty hard to break.

As for if rooting is "worth it", that's a slightly harder question to answer. It really comes down to what you want out of the phone. I've seen people root their phones just to say they did it. In cases like that, I wouldn't see why it's worth the trouble. but for the vast amount of options it opens up for a power user, it's entirely worth it.

vzwtek

Reaction score
i dont even think high data usage will cause termination unless you go above 10 gbs per month then you are affecting network perf, and that will def get you termed at your own expense. And they will shoot your dog...... not really...... actually i dont know what they are capable of....... Dan Mead does look like a comic book villian............