root my droid or keep 2.1 update??

ShaneCroughan

Reaction score
hey guys-
Im just trying to get some advice and opinions on whether or not i should Root my Droid or just keep it updated. What do you guys think is best?
I just dont wanna mess with my baby unless its really worth it cause it seems you can still do a lot with the 2.1 update itself. I AM fairly new to this and I have no idea what my phone is capable of yet, but I really wanna find out! SO lets hear it!!!
**Also, if You recommend rooting, please tell me the best way to do it if you can**

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
honestly, we cannot tell you what you want.

There are many options and different mods when you root, but we don't know what you exactly want. There is a main thread on rooting and explaining what rooting is, i suggest you check it out. However, we cannot tell you to root or not.

I stuck with a stock 2.1 Droid and couldn't be happier, especially with the discovery of ProLauncher.

tu3218

Reaction score
I'm in the same position as you. My old droid was rooted an I loved it, being able to customize it with themes, overclock, wifi tether, etc. I'm just trying to decide if I want to mess with it again on my new droid. My droid stock is really fine, I guess main thing I want is wifi tether an being able to customize with themes.

Diordna

Reaction score
It is personal preferences but it is also worth giving it a shot. It's easy to do and I help people out who want to root but lack knowledge.
If anything, just root is and get wifi tether and overclock it and it'll be just like stock but a lot better anyways.
Again, preferences but it's definitely worth a try and you'll most likely be with all the other cool kids and not want to go back to boring ol' stocky.

OP
S

ShaneCroughan

Reaction score
I'm in the same position as you. My old droid was rooted an I loved it, being able to customize it with themes, overclock, wifi tether, etc. I'm just trying to decide if I want to mess with it again on my new droid. My droid stock is really fine, I guess main thing I want is wifi tether an being able to customize with themes.

Actually, I found a great Free Tethering App called "PdaNet"
So You can tether with your stock droid 8) its a free app! I think.. Or actually I got it from a website where i used the Barcode scanner to download the file and used my "eoeinstaller" app to install it. But I looked it up on the market .. its there. Let me know if you find it!

Snoking

Reaction score
So lets talk about wired tethering verses wifi tethering. I see an advantage in wired tethering in that you are charging the battery at the same time! If you wifi tethering and have to plug in an AC charger to keep the battery charged, then what did you gain other than letting others wifi to you? And given the contract concerns, why would you let others port through your phone?

OP
S

ShaneCroughan

Reaction score
So lets talk about wired tethering verses wifi tethering. I see an advantage in wired tethering in that you are charging the battery at the same time! If you wifi tethering and have to plug in an AC charger to keep the battery charged, then what did you gain other than letting others wifi to you? And given the contract concerns, why would you let others port through your phone?

You bring a good point.. I forgot to mention that the program I recommended is for usb tethering. It also has the Bluetooth DUN option, buuuut im not quite sure what that is lol..

Diordna

Reaction score

Actually, I found a great Free Tethering App called "PdaNet"
So You can tether with your stock droid 8) its a free app! I think.. Or actually I got it from a website where i used the Barcode scanner to download the file and used my "eoeinstaller" app to install it. But I looked it up on the market .. its there. Let me know if you find it!
You have to pay for it if you want the full extent of it. It doesn't allow some things but someone else could elaborate this for me more.

razorseal

Reaction score
i love it! I'm so happy I did it. the phone is just so much more smoother! 1ghz makes it run smooth, which is very important. the stock droid rom is just laggy at times. this is gone with the BB 1.1 and 1ghz kernel. it was VERY easy to install with rom manager btw. you don't do a thing except pick the rom, pick the theme and press install. and if you don't like it, you can go back to old settings.... it installs the kernel too. all you have to do is root the phone, which really isn't that hard

holeshot

Reaction score
I was very skeptical about rooting but this forum gave me the confidence to go root. I was going to wait for 2.2 cuz of adobe flash but by the time 2.2 becomes OTA It will have been hacked for root. I don't know why I waited as long as I did. ROOT BABY ROOT

OP
S

ShaneCroughan

Reaction score
i love it! I'm so happy I did it. the phone is just so much more smoother! 1ghz makes it run smooth, which is very important. the stock droid rom is just laggy at times. this is gone with the BB 1.1 and 1ghz kernel. it was VERY easy to install with rom manager btw. you don't do a thing except pick the rom, pick the theme and press install. and if you don't like it, you can go back to old settings.... it installs the kernel too. all you have to do is root the phone, which really isn't that hard

Where can i find these Roms and programs you ve listed?

razorseal

Reaction score
the market :)

look at rom manager

but you have to root your phone 1st, u want a link on how to root a 2.1?

Olivia

Reaction score
Man I want to root mine now lol! Before this I owned an iPhone and I had rooted it. Now I am doing the same thing with my Droid. I've been debating it for a while and I know I have a lot to read up on, but like my iPhone I will do it soon I just got to get over being afraid that something will brick my Droid.

blamejake

Reaction score
Before you Root your MotoDroid, let me share a cautionary tale:
Someone very close to me purchased the MotoDroid at 10:00am November 6, 2009. He was very please with his pruchase and the Droid assimilated well into his busy business life, his family, and community. This man had many responsibilities and many folks looked to him to participate in and cooperate with many different professional and personal activities.

This man's happy life turned dark one Saturday morning when, surfing the net regarding the Droid, he learned of the Droid's hidden powers. This arcane and mysterious knowledge was known to only a few wizards with such spine-tingling names as 'Pete', 'Koush', and the 'Cyanogen'!

At this point this fellow should have gone to Yahoo's main page but his mind was already ignited and in need of awakening and nourishment rather than the narcotized and processed pablum that Yahoo serves. So, he scrolled through the instructions that provided the curious with the dangerous incantations that would release the beast within the Droid. Though Knowledge is Power, Power can be all consuming. And so, this fellow studied the various techniques over and over again. Memorizing each utternance and gesture until, later that same Saturday morning, having confidence and ready to harness and have the power, proceded to execute each mysterious step.

He was successful much to the dismay of all that loved and cared for this person. The power of the Droid captured him rather than the man capturing the power of the Droid. Now he spends much of his time performing various rites over his Droid, such as trying on new souls called "roms" and experimenting with different physical manifestations, called "themes", and tampering with the very essence of the Droid; the spirit known as "kernels."

The Droid has enslaved this man who now can be seen sitting on the curb outside the local grocery store. People pitiably listen to his mumblings about "how smooth the app drawer is," and "how the temps don't go above 44 degrees centigrade," - as if anyone knows what this means. Fortunately, he chose the local grocery store so people give him soda and pretzels, which he eats without thinking while holding up his Droid and remarking how "freaking fantastic" it is.

Poor guy.

Still want to Root?

OP
S

ShaneCroughan

Reaction score
Before you Root your MotoDroid, let me share a cautionary tale:
Someone very close to me purchased the MotoDroid at 10:00am November 6, 2009. He was very please with his pruchase and the Droid assimilated well into his busy business life, his family, and community. This man had many responsibilities and many folks looked to him to participate in and cooperate with many different professional and personal activities.

This man's happy life turned dark one Saturday morning when, surfing the net regarding the Droid, he learned of the Droid's hidden powers. This arcane and mysterious knowledge was known to only a few wizards with such spine-tingling names as 'Pete', 'Koush', and the 'Cyanogen'!

At this point this fellow should have gone to Yahoo's main page but his mind was already ignited and in need of awakening and nourishment rather than the narcotized and processed pablum that Yahoo serves. So, he scrolled through the instructions that provided the curious with the dangerous incantations that would release the beast within the Droid. Though Knowledge is Power, Power can be all consuming. And so, this fellow studied the various techniques over and over again. Memorizing each utternance and gesture until, later that same Saturday morning, having confidence and ready to harness and have the power, proceded to execute each mysterious step.

He was successful much to the dismay of all that loved and cared for this person. The power of the Droid captured him rather than the man capturing the power of the Droid. Now he spends much of his time performing various rites over his Droid, such as trying on new souls called "roms" and experimenting with different physical manifestations, called "themes", and tampering with the very essence of the Droid; the spirit known as "kernels."

The Droid has enslaved this man who now can be seen sitting on the curb outside the local grocery store. People pitiably listen to his mumblings about "how smooth the app drawer is," and "how the temps don't go above 44 degrees centigrade," - as if anyone knows what this means. Fortunately, he chose the local grocery store so people give him soda and pretzels, which he eats without thinking while holding up his Droid and remarking how "freaking fantastic" it is.

Poor guy.

Still want to Root?

OMG YES! YES!! YES!!!!!!!!!! I wanna be THat guy!!!!!