root my droid or keep 2.1 update??

FDFTW!!

Reaction score
I recently rooted my DROID for the first time. Went with AdamZ Smoked Glass 6.0.1 first, and wasn't a huge fan of the accelerated temps the phone was exhibiting when overclocked to 1ghz, so I switched over to Pete's Bugless Beast 1.1, as indicated in my sig. Overall, I'm happy I did it.

Phxphenom

Reaction score
Before you Root your MotoDroid, let me share a cautionary tale:
Someone very close to me purchased the MotoDroid at 10:00am November 6, 2009. He was very please with his pruchase and the Droid assimilated well into his busy business life, his family, and community. This man had many responsibilities and many folks looked to him to participate in and cooperate with many different professional and personal activities.

This man's happy life turned dark one Saturday morning when, surfing the net regarding the Droid, he learned of the Droid's hidden powers. This arcane and mysterious knowledge was known to only a few wizards with such spine-tingling names as 'Pete', 'Koush', and the 'Cyanogen'!

At this point this fellow should have gone to Yahoo's main page but his mind was already ignited and in need of awakening and nourishment rather than the narcotized and processed pablum that Yahoo serves. So, he scrolled through the instructions that provided the curious with the dangerous incantations that would release the beast within the Droid. Though Knowledge is Power, Power can be all consuming. And so, this fellow studied the various techniques over and over again. Memorizing each utternance and gesture until, later that same Saturday morning, having confidence and ready to harness and have the power, proceded to execute each mysterious step.

He was successful much to the dismay of all that loved and cared for this person. The power of the Droid captured him rather than the man capturing the power of the Droid. Now he spends much of his time performing various rites over his Droid, such as trying on new souls called "roms" and experimenting with different physical manifestations, called "themes", and tampering with the very essence of the Droid; the spirit known as "kernels."

The Droid has enslaved this man who now can be seen sitting on the curb outside the local grocery store. People pitiably listen to his mumblings about "how smooth the app drawer is," and "how the temps don't go above 44 degrees centigrade," - as if anyone knows what this means. Fortunately, he chose the local grocery store so people give him soda and pretzels, which he eats without thinking while holding up his Droid and remarking how "freaking fantastic" it is.

Poor guy.

Still want to Root?

I am 48 and ws lucky enough to have Diordna help me out....Now I am "that guy", lol

GonzoGreg

Reaction score
Root or run 2.1?

I had to give a little thought before rooting my MotoDroid last week. I liked the stability and out-of-box performance of my Droid on 2.1. However, like most, I just gotta fix things that aren't broken, plus I wanted custom ROM's etc. My question is, I've heard there is a way to take a Rooted 2.0.1 and upgrade it to 2.1 without loosing Root. I'm skepticle about this rumor, since I havn't seen anyone running 2.1 Rooted. However I did come across a few bulletins that state a stock (unrooted) 2.1 droid can have a flash done to it that keeps the 2.1 os and adds a custom ROM wich after that is done, the 2.1 phone can achieve the status of ROOT! Can anyone support these claims?

tabraha

Reaction score
So lets talk about wired tethering verses wifi tethering. I see an advantage in wired tethering in that you are charging the battery at the same time! If you wifi tethering and have to plug in an AC charger to keep the battery charged, then what did you gain other than letting others wifi to you? And given the contract concerns, why would you let others port through your phone?

It has it's place. My wife and I take our RV all over the place and it's nice to be able to share a connection between the two of us rather easily. This has all but made my wireless router/aircard stay at the house. Also speaking from many years experience of wired tethering prior to having a BB that I could tether over BT with, one day your gonna be pissed you didn't pack that USB cord. Sooner or later it always happens. Pretty nice having the droid docked as an alarm clock playing music in the front of the RV for my two year old to sing along with all the while the two of us are each surfing over it. You'd need a 37' usb cord to pull that one off with.

This was the only reason that pushed me to root and now with the other options I can tinker with I am soooo glad I did.

iamnotjohn

Reaction score
hey bro, i WAS in the same position as you. i came from a normal DROID (2.0.1 i think) then rooted, then unrooted because i got scared (idk why lol) and i missed the normal droid... then the 2.1 update came, updated to 2.1, i was not really satisfied because it doesnt have the 3d menu... but,, BUT.... i found an app that gives you the 3d menu, so i bought it for $1 i think. then wasn't really satisfied on the way it looks... i liked the notification black, the new launchers, and everything. I would recomend you to root your droid, not just for tethering, but for customizable stuff... (notification, app icons, launchers, etc.)... dont worry about your droid getting too much stuff for it to handle, rooting gives you access to overclocking which is very cool..

and 1 more thing, its not that complicated :p

hope this helps :) dancedroid

GonzoGreg

Reaction score
Achieved a Root on my Droid;
Firmware version: 2.1-update 1

Kernal version: 2.6.29-omap1-bekit-0.8.3-5x1100LV bekriebel@ubuntu #1

Mod Version: JRummy's Remix v0.7 - CyanMod 5.0.6.2

Build number: ESE81