Root Jelly Bean (Spectrum 2)

OP
mordant80

mordant80

Reaction score
There's a cab file floating around that you can flash to you phone that puts you back to stock. Youll need to do that to put you phone back to the the version that can be rooted by the method in this thread

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk 4

JimiMack

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have been doing some research on rooting my LG Spectrum 2. I just now got the update (4.1.2) and I have tried this method in this thread and the one that was posted by Wicked.. neither have worked for me. I have made sure I've done everything right as far as making sure I have all the drivers and debugging and all of that. Every time I run motoroot it will eventually say failed and then says something about cleaning up and rebooting. The superuser app does show up on my phone but there is nothing in it at all and I have an app to check if my phone is rooted and it says it isn't.. any ideas? I really want my phone to be rooted and I am sick of looking around cause I always end up back here. Lol. Any help is appreciated. Thank ya. :)

Try the 2nd method on this site...

Spectrum 2 Forum? - Page 7 - LG Spectrum - RootzWiki

kratliff09

Reaction score
Maybe I will be able to find it and for some reason, JimiMack, my laptop will not download that root application. I will try again though.

JimiMack

Reaction score
I have heard some rumbling from people claiming it locks you out from rooting, but no confirmation.

OP
mordant80

mordant80

Reaction score
I've been able to Root the new JB update with the "LTE2" process. Instructions are posted at RootzWiki.com >Forums>LG>Spectrum>Spectrum 2 Forum?, Page 7, post #65

Thanks, guess it's time to flash the cab and update. It fails as is. We need to get an updated loki kernel.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk now Free

Last edited:

JimiMack

Reaction score
From what I gathered the Update is to address some of the bloatware, not really adding any new features.

OP
mordant80

mordant80

Reaction score
Well i went ahead and restored my phone, updated to the new OTA and rooted with no issues.

Problem is i thought I might try flashing the available LOKI kernel to see if it would work with the update ok only to find out our 2nd init recovery no longer works. It says successful when installing but when I try to reboot into recovery the phone simply reboots.

Anyone know of any updated recoveries that might do the trick?

JimiMack

Reaction score
I am having the reverse issue, I had used the LOKI Kernel and I have tried restoring and my restores are failing the only thing I can think that is stopping the restore off the CAB file is the LOKI. I was restoring because I was going to do the OTA as well, I will try the LTE 2nd Recovery I have and see if I get the same issue as you if I can get my restore done. It might be the OTA destroys us from being able to use that recovery.

OP
mordant80

mordant80

Reaction score
I used the lg support tool instead of the cab, give that a try. Remember to put the phone in download mode. (vol up + down + pwr) I had the loki kernel installed previously as well.

JimiMack

Reaction score
I used the lg support tool instead of the cab, give that a try. Remember to put the phone in download mode. (vol up + down + pwr) I had the loki kernel installed previously as well.

Thanks, I had luck with the LG Tool but I can not seem to get the phone to Root now.

OP
mordant80

mordant80

Reaction score