Root Explorer malfunction with UD8.0

Boostjunky

Reaction score
So, I have used Root Explorer many, MANY a time without any issues. It's been one of the greatest apps for customizing my phone.

But on UD8.0, I've found (more than once, on more than a couple clean installs) that over time, Root Explorer loses its ability to paste or even delete APKs out of the sytem folder (I haven't tried the Data/app folder, but I'd assume it would do the same). It can copy and paste or move folders within the SDCard folder just fine. But once I try to move or paste anything to System, it will act as if it's doing its job, but once done, nothing has pasted/deleted.

I have also noticed that when it is working correctly, at the top it shows the free/used space within each folder of the phone, but when it bugs out, the free/used space is not shown whatsoever. Also, mounting R/O and R/W can ONLY be done in the root folder that opens when you first open Root Explorer.

If you go to any other folder and try to mount R/W or R/O, it will NOT work.

And one more note, when it is working as it should, I don't recall seeing the option for Mount R/W or R/O in the SDCard folder, but when it bugs out, it DOES show the option for Mount R/W R/O in the SDCard folder.

Anybody have any ideas?

So far I've tried clearing permission for Root Explorer in superuser, Fixing permissions from ROM manager AND UD Settings, Reinstalling Root Explorer, wiping Cache, wiping Dalvik Cache, and even a Factory Data Reset. All to no avail.

Help, PLEASE!!! I want to customize some things, but would prefer to use Root Explorer to do so!

Thanks in advance!

caseyc

Reaction score
mine does the exact same thing, the free space dissapears up top then it wont paste or delete anything. i finally just said screw it and deleted the app

OP
B

Boostjunky

Reaction score
Yeah, it's quite frustrating. It makes customizing take 3 times as long having to use terminal emulator instead. Real bummer!

OP
B

Boostjunky

Reaction score
Well, for those experiencing this issue, there is a workaround. In fact, it may be possible that the workaround may have something to do with the issue at hand.

In UD Settings, under Quick Commands, there are some options (scripts I would presume) to mount R/W and R/O to /system. There is also something called "god mode" which will allow you to temporarily view and edit ANY file of the phone OS with any file explorer (I tried using AndroZip to edit system files with god mode enabled, and what do ya know... it works!).

So, with this discovery, I tried simply mounting R/W to system using the commands under [UD Settings] [Quick Commands], then went into Root Explorer. It still wasn't showing available/used space at the top as it normally does when it's working properly, but I was able to copy/paste/delete, or otherwise edit any of the system files successfully.

So, there you have it. At least it works that way! Yay! Time for some customizing!!!

Last edited: