Root Droid X

bfrank3502

Reaction score
since the release for the froyo isn't gonna happen for the droid x til sept. sometime, I thought about rooting my phone to delete some apps that came on the phone that I will never use to make it a bit faster. If I root the phone and delete some factory apps, when the 2.2 upgrade comes out will I be able to get it with it rooted or not? Could someone explain to me some advantages to rooting please? Like does it make it faster, more apps available, hotspots etc...? please? thanks in advance

haticK

Reaction score
to upgrade to 2.2 you would have to unroot and then you would have to wait for roms to come out for 2.2. basically you can install some apps that are only available if you're rooted that are mainly aimed at saving battery life/getting better performance.

chrisb3

Reaction score
since the release for the froyo isn't gonna happen for the droid x til sept. sometime, I thought about rooting my phone to delete some apps that came on the phone that I will never use to make it a bit faster. If I root the phone and delete some factory apps, when the 2.2 upgrade comes out will I be able to get it with it rooted or not? Could someone explain to me some advantages to rooting please? Like does it make it faster, more apps available, hotspots etc...? please? thanks in advance

If you're going to root, make sure you copy all of the apps you remove to the sd card. Stick them in a folder called /vzwcrapware or something. When 2.2 comes out, reinstall all of the apps you removed, make sure to change their permissions to system applications and unroot. Update to 2.2 and then wait for a new root.

Last edited:
OP
B

bfrank3502

Reaction score
so since i dont know alot about rooting and unrooting i should leave it alone correct? the main reason i was gonna root is to clean up some apps that I don't use and will never use, such as City ID, Car Dock, etc.. and use this app called copy and paste that can only be used in rooted phones to let me copy from websites and email to paste in text messages or other emails? plus my droid x takes forever to start up when powered off and thought rooting may speed somethings up? guess i will just wait for 2.2 and see whats new and faster with it huh?

bigd73

Reaction score