Root risk

dyrelogan

Reaction score
Just wondering what the risk and dangers there are to rooting my Droid X. It seems that is the only way I will be able to take screenshots and do other things with my phone that I otherwise can't. Will I brick the phone? What are the advantages? Disadvantages? Will it work on 2.2 software? And please, explain it simply because I am not mod/root savvy to where I understand all the technical terms. Also, a site where I can follow step by step would be appreciated.

barski

Reaction score
You should defiantly root your Droid X.

Advantages
-Free Wireless Tethering
-Roms/ Themes
-CPU adjustments
-Remove unwanted verizon pre-installed programs.
-Pretty Much Everything

Disadvantages:
When an OTA update comes along you must be unrooted and running everything stock to install the update with no problems.

Yes rooting works on 2.2 (Froyo)

The odds of you bricking your device while rooting-very very unlikely.
If you need help or have any questions just post back and the great people here will give you a hand.

This is method i used to root my Droid X.
How to: Root DROID X Running Official Android 2.2

Last edited:

csimo

Reaction score
You might want to hold off on rooting for a while. Motorola is going to release an update for the X that fixes several (not all) of the bugs in 2.2 soon (I'm told within the next week or so).

The update will not install on a rooted phone so you would have to unroot first.

I'm all for rooting, but now might not be the easiest time unless you find it just as easy to unroot.

-Joe

OP
D

dyrelogan

Reaction score
Ok so when new updates come out, I will have to unroot. This really doesn't sound beneficial to me. More of a headache if you ask me. How do I unroot and is it simple or something where I have a million steps, including standing on my head and counting backwards from 100? I just want a simple solution to what Motorola should have done for us to begin with.

xliderider

Reaction score
If you have a little patience, you don't have to unroot to get the benefits of the update when it comes out. The developers will incorporate the updated files into rooted roms within a matter of days.

OP
D

dyrelogan

Reaction score
Ok thanks for that. And yes I can wait for updates. What site do I go to, that's best and easiest, to get step by step instructions on rooting my phone?

xliderider

Reaction score
Depends. If you have android sdk installed and adb working, then you are pretty much there. If you don't want to use adb, then there are other ways to root without a computer.

OP
D

dyrelogan

Reaction score
Ok it just got technical. I did ask for easy instructions. Abbreviating everything does not help me. Just assume I am ten years old please. I don't mean to be blunt here, but I don't like when people assume that everyone knows all these abbreviated names and procedures like it is common knowledge for everyone. Remember, this is a phone, not a rocket at NASA. All I have used it for was making calls, texting, searching the net, and playing games and messing around with apps on my phone. But to just come out and say well you need to sdk and adb and cia and abc, then I am lost. What does all that mean?

mjsplicer78

Reaction score
Ok it just got technical. I did ask for easy instructions. Abbreviating everything does not help me. Just assume I am ten years old please. I don't mean to be blunt here, but I don't like when people assume that everyone knows all these abbreviated names and procedures like it is common knowledge for everyone. Remember, this is a phone, not a rocket at NASA. All I have used it for was making calls, texting, searching the net, and playing games and messing around with apps on my phone. But to just come out and say well you need to sdk and adb and cia and abc, then I am lost. What does all that mean?

SDK is the development kit from google, it's not horrible to use if your at all familiar with using DOS type commands. ADB, which is included in the SDK download, is what your CPU uses to interface with your phone.

gunz.jones

Reaction score
Search easy 123 or similar name...it allows you to root and unroot using a computer....it is available for windows, mac, and linux....

OP
D

dyrelogan

Reaction score
Well if this all needs a USB, I don't think I have one. I will need to get one. I might have something lying around from when I had my BB Storm. Other than that, this will all be very foreign to me.

gunz.jones

Reaction score
I would have thought the phone came with a similar setup to the d2...lame...wally world sells an all-in-one usb cord that might work....radio shack carries various cords...cheaper than Verizon or other carrier stores might have them for.

OP
D

dyrelogan

Reaction score
Yeah I bought one from Target that has a bunch of different plug adapters for various model phones, but sent that to the person who bought my BB Storm.

csimo

Reaction score
Well if this all needs a USB, I don't think I have one. I will need to get one. I might have something lying around from when I had my BB Storm. Other than that, this will all be very foreign to me.

The cable that goes from your charger plug-in to your phone is a USB cable. You can just unplug it from the wall charger adapter and straight into your computer.

-Joe

OP
D

dyrelogan

Reaction score
Actually I can't. The charger it came with is a standalone charger.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App