When I attempt to run the update.zip from within SPRecovery I get this message:
-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
Installation aborted.

Any ideas?
I opened the updater-script in the update.zip file I copied to the root of my sdcard just to make sure those changes I made were there- and they were.

I think mods are suggesting that we don't go too off topic to this thread so this will be my last post on this topic in this thread -- either PM me or lets start a new thread somewhere if anyone else except you are trying to do this, it's not really in the spirit of the "root any droid version" but I know many who use MotoCache's technique like having an "official" Google ROM with root access which is why I posted it here.

It sounds like you did not do the "Allow update.zip install" option before 'Install update.zip" in SPRecovery?

turboswag

Reaction score
RE:update.zip

Success! I can't believe I never thought of that. I used a old, smaller SD card that had else nothing on it. There was so many folders and my stock 16GB and was almost full. I just didn't want to have to worry about it. I finished the root and I have my phone back. Thanks! dancedroid

Thanks MotoCache1 and everyone else that worked on this guide. It was very good and professional.

I'm new to the forum, so I apologizes if I took it off topic...

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It wasn't you they were talking about.

glad you got it working!!

Sent from my rooted A855.

BoxcuttaStyle

Reaction score
Its in the /cache directory with a really long file name

I updated this am using the ota update without having to lose root and it was pretty painless. I oopened up the update archive and removed the updates to system apps I've removed and then appied the update. Before rebooting I mounted the sd card as a device then I took motocaches update zip and remove the install stuff for busy box or superuser to prevent stock recovery from kicking in and now I'm happily updated.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

There are not any files in my 'cache' directory.... any ideas as to why not?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Are you using Root Explorer?

Its in the /cache directory with a really long file name

I updated this am using the ota update without having to lose root and it was pretty painless. I oopened up the update archive and removed the updates to system apps I've removed and then appied the update. Before rebooting I mounted the sd card as a device then I took motocaches update zip and remove the install stuff for busy box or superuser to prevent stock recovery from kicking in and now I'm happily updated.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

There are not any files in my 'cache' directory.... any ideas as to why not?

DroidForums junkie!!

Levenly

Reaction score

jeffe65

Reaction score
Edit the meta-inf/com/google/android/updater-script in the FRG83D update.zip to keep your custom recovery and root access, then install the update.zip using SPRecovery.

Changes:

Line 1054 (comment with # or delete entirely)
Code:
 package_extract_dir("recovery", "/system");
Add bolded after line 1058
Code:
set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0644, "/system");
set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/bin");
[B]set_perm(0, 0, 6755, "/system/bin/su");[/B]
Note this will only work if you haven't messed with your FRG22D too much, mainly that no system apps have been removed. You can still get it work if you uninstalled some apps, you just have to find the lines that patch that app and remove them from the script.

I tried the above method, re-checked the changes I had made, and when I install I get:

Installing update...
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 6)
Installation aborted

Any ideas? I'm using mediCkOne's full FRG22D ROM to start with, so all the original system apps should be there.

parrish

Reaction score
Edit the meta-inf/com/google/android/updater-script in the FRG83D update.zip to keep your custom recovery and root access, then install the update.zip using SPRecovery.

Changes:

Line 1054 (comment with # or delete entirely)
Code:
 package_extract_dir("recovery", "/system");
Add bolded after line 1058
Code:
set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0644, "/system");
set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/bin");
[B]set_perm(0, 0, 6755, "/system/bin/su");[/B]
Note this will only work if you haven't messed with your FRG22D too much, mainly that no system apps have been removed. You can still get it work if you uninstalled some apps, you just have to find the lines that patch that app and remove them from the script.

I tried the above method, re-checked the changes I had made, and when I install I get:

Installing update...
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 6)
Installation aborted

Any ideas? I'm using mediCkOne's full FRG22D ROM to start with, so all the original system apps should be there.
Status 6 indicates that there is a problem with the format of one of the files. In trying to get this to work on my phone I had the exact same problem (well once I figured out that I had two update.zip files in the root of my sdcard). Turns out it was all because I used a file editor that did something to the updater-script file that caused it to be unreadable by the Android system. Windows notepad will definitely do it but so do other file editors. I ended up using Notepad++ to make the changes. That solved the status 6 error allowing the update to fully install.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Yes, either use a linux system or notepad++ in windows to edit the updater-script file. This is all I'm going to say.

And PLEASE, even though this was posted in this thread, let's make this the last discussion of this side topic or on anything else off the original topic here. This thread is WAY too long for it. If need be to continue, please quote log's post and start a new thread.

JasonPurp

Reaction score
Would this work with the newest update that came out a few days ago? I know it says for all OS versions, but I'm skeptical.