Need help updating Rooted Droid 1 with a 16gb SD card

LordBalthazar

Reaction score
So I am trying to update my 2.2.3 Droid 1 to 2.3.x. I have rooted my droid (following the instructions in the "How to root your droid regardless of version" thread). I found a video on YouTube that said to download ROM Manager after rooting and flash Clockwork Mod Recovery to your phone, then copy/paste the update OS zip file to the root of your SD card, reboot into recovery, backup your phone, then install the update. However it's not working. I *do* have the update.zip file in the right place as you can see from the pic below. This is within ROM Manager on my phone you can see the update.zip file is there. The next pic is from within Clockwork Mod I have chosen "install rom from zip" as you see, there is no zip there (but this also means that CMR IS accessing my SD card, unless those are the directories on my phone itself. However, I have 47MB free on my phone, so I don't know why it would still be saying 0MB). The third pic is after I tried running the backup and tried installing the update, note it says there is 0MB available on my card, and it also says that the update.zip cannot be found.

When Trying to Backup it says:
ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.1
SD Card space free:0MB
There may not be enough free space to complete backup... continuing...
Backing up boot...
Error while dumping boot image!

When trying to apply update.zip it says:
-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip
(No such file or directory)
Installation aborted.

When I look at my SD card settings within my phone it says I have 14gb available. So the 0MB that CMR is reporting is not right.

I have tried copying all the data off my SD card, formatting my SD card (I actually did this twice, once within windows with my phone attached to my laptop and once within the actual phone settings).

I have tried two different versions of the update from two separate sources.

My conclusion is that it might not be compatable with my 16gig card (as most people I see posting about this have a 2gig card). Though I have seen people talk about rooting their Nooks but am unclear if this process will work for my Droid 1.

Any help would be great.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3930.JPG
    IMG_3930.JPG
    494.7 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_3931.JPG
    IMG_3931.JPG
    492.1 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_3933.JPG
    IMG_3933.JPG
    452.6 KB · Views: 433

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
OK, going out on a limb a bit here since it's been a couple years since I played with Roms on the OGD (Droid 1), but here goes...

First, there are 2 (yes two), SD cards on that phone...the on-board one that is soldered to the motherboard, and the removable one that fits into the slot inside the battery compartment. In some cases, the removable SD Card is known in the file manager as SD-Ext. You must save the zip file to the SD-Ext in order for it to be seen by Recovery. Evidence of this is the fact that the folder names in your first image (where you have the zip file saved - the SD Card on the motherboard), do not match those in the second image (where Recovery is looking - SD-Ext). If the same folder names were in both images, then I'd be concerned.

In order to get to the SD-Ext, you have to back out of the SD Card in your file manager, and then you'll see the list of root folders you have access to, and there should be 2 SD Card selections, one being the SD-Ext. Move the file to that folder and re-run Recovery.

OP
L

LordBalthazar

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply FoxKat. I do see what you're saying about the directories not matching BUT I think that it's backwards. I think that the Recovery is looking on my phones internal card and not my SD Card. I have connected my phone to my computer and opened the root F drive, I have also opened the properties so that it shows 15gig free. The update.zip *is* on the root of my SD card. My guess is that either CMR can't detect my card, OR my card isn't mounted when Recovery starts.
Droid.jpg

To test my theory I tried removing my SD card and booting into recovery. I then selected the option to "Install ROM from Zip" but it told me it couldn't mount the SD card.

I put my card back in and connected my phone to my computer again and began browsing the folders but I couldn't find the list of folders that Recovery sees. I even did a search for the word "Other" (For the folder /Other Files) and it didn't find anything. I'm so confused.

UPDATE: Ok I am most certain that CMR is loading the internal storage on my phone. I selected "Partitions Menu" from the main menu and I saw "mount /sd-ext" (there is also a "unmount /sdcard") I selected the Mount /SD-ext option but it gave me an error:

E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
(file esists)
Error mounting SDEXT:!

So I'm guessing that's the problem. I did try unmounting the currently mounted SD card but I got the same error when I tried mounting the sdext/

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Clockwork recovery can install a zip from anywhere on the ext-sd. It doesn't need to be on the root. Install zip from sdcard would be the option to use. Have you tried using the volume keys to scroll to the bottom of the list in that 2nd picture? Are you sure it's named update.zip & not update.zip.zip?

OP
L

LordBalthazar

Reaction score
CJM: Yes, the file is named update.zip (I have file extensions turned on). I have tried installing the ROM straight from ROM Manager, it reboots my phone and tries to install but then gives me the No File Found error message. I also tried moving my zip file into the Android folder on my card (seeing as that folder appears both on the list in CMR as well as my filesystem when I mount my phone to my computer). But when I selected Install Rom from Zip and looked in the Android folder there was nothing there.

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
For "fun", on the pc, right click on the update zip file and check the name. Windows usually changed it to zip.zip...

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

OP
L

LordBalthazar

Reaction score
Update: I was thinking that it was a size issue with my 16gb card. So I took one of my girlfriend's old droids that had a 2gig card in it and used it. I copied the update.zip to the root directory. I was able to run the backup in the nandroid directory but it said I only have 14MB free. I tried looking for the update.zip file using "Install Rom from ZIP" but I didn't see the zip file there either. I DID, however, see a bunch of folders that were on her SD card. This only confuses me more. The backup ran successfully, but when I tried the "apply sdcard:update.zip" I got the same error of File Not Found. So I'm assuming the problem isn't the size of the card. I'm guessing I have made some simple mistake along the way.

OP
L

LordBalthazar

Reaction score
Do I, by chance, need to partition my SD card or something?

UPDATE: OH WAIT! I think I got it. I'll post more details if it works.

OP
L

LordBalthazar

Reaction score
Ok, well I used my girlfriend's 2gig card and cleared about 700meg of space off of it. I then went into ROM Manager and selected the update.zip file to be installed. I also checked the Backup. It did the backup and started installing the update. I am using the latest Cyan7 update "cm-7-20130301-NIGHTLY-sholes.zip" (renamed to update.zip of course). It began installing and then after about two mins it rebooted. Now it's in a loop of a skateboarding Android guy with "cyanogen (mod) 7" and a circulating arrow going around him. It's been doing this for the past 15mins or so. Is this supposed to happen or is it stuck in a loop? Should I turn the phone off and try it again?

So I tried a battery pull and did another update via the recovery menu. The update said it finished and I selected to reboot but it still gets stuck in the Cyanogenmod 7 boot. I have posted a video of what's going on... it just does this over and over and over.

[video=youtube_share;fvrV7UZRBYk]http://youtu.be/fvrV7UZRBYk[/video]

OP
L

LordBalthazar

Reaction score
*bangs head against desk* So I tried the ROM that is linked on the YouTube video below. This one ALSO gets stuck in a boot loop on the normal Droid "Red Eye Scanner, merging to the Droid Words" section.... I just want to get this working...... why are there so many problems???? [video=youtube_share;gDR63MH1NYQ]http://youtu.be/gDR63MH1NYQ[/video]

OP
L

LordBalthazar

Reaction score
YAY! Ok, well, apparently when it gets stuck in the loop you have to do a "factory reset" through the recovery which will reset it back to "factory" of the updated version. I did that and I am now running 2.3.7 :)