[HACKS] Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

log

Reaction score
i havent gotten this update yet ... if i get ot and install, will this method still work to reroot the fone ?

This method will always work (it says any version doesn't it? ;)) but you can save some time with some work beforehand as this update will overwrite your custom recovery and remove root access.

Edit the meta-inf/com/google/android/updater-script in the FRG83D update.zip to keep your custom recovery and root access, then install the update.zip using SPRecovery.

Changes:

Line 1054 (comment with # or delete entirely)
Code:
 package_extract_dir("recovery", "/system");
Add bolded after line 1058
Code:
set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0644, "/system");
set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/bin");
[B]set_perm(0, 0, 6755, "/system/bin/su");[/B]

Note this will only work if you haven't messed with your FRG22D too much, mainly that no system apps have been removed. You can still get it work if you uninstalled some apps, you just have to find the lines that patch that app and remove them from the script.

Last edited:

BoxcuttaStyle

Reaction score
Where is the update stored on my phone? Is there a 'system downloads' or something similar where I can find the OTA?

SlammedDime

Reaction score
Its in the /cache directory with a really long file name

I updated this am using the ota update without having to lose root and it was pretty painless. I oopened up the update archive and removed the updates to system apps I've removed and then appied the update. Before rebooting I mounted the sd card as a device then I took motocaches update zip and remove the install stuff for busy box or superuser to prevent stock recovery from kicking in and now I'm happily updated.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

log

Reaction score

I updated this am using the ota update without having to lose root and it was pretty painless. I oopened up the update archive and removed the updates to system apps I've removed and then appied the update. Before rebooting I mounted the sd card as a device then I took motocaches update zip and remove the install stuff for busy box or superuser to prevent stock recovery from kicking in and now I'm happily updated.

That would work also -- everyone else just keep in mind that you MUST go directly back into your custom recovery and apply MotoCache's zip before booting to your FRG83D system the first time, otherwise you will need to do the entire (sbf) process again.

The technique I mentioned essentially just makes sure that the OTA update does not disable your root, and you can do the update in one pass.

BoxcuttaStyle

Reaction score

That would work also -- everyone else just keep in mind that you MUST go directly back into your custom recovery and apply MotoCache's zip before booting to your FRG83D system the first time, otherwise you will need to do the entire (sbf) process again.

The technique I mentioned essentially just makes sure that the OTA update does not disable your root, and you can do the update in one pass.

So this needs to be done if you use log's method above?

**EDIT** LOL :) , I mean your method.....didn't notice you had replied as well.

Last edited:

SlammedDime

Reaction score
log's method is ideally the way to go... I did it the way I did so that I would have the newest recovery script on my phone in case I decided to de-root for any reason... using log's method, you don't get the new stock recovery script.

dogjustice

Reaction score
First time rooter. Went quick and was painless. Thanks for the info!

Same here, Although it took me a few tries. Thanks to whomever the heck gets this stuff to work and to all the people who are here answering questions.

parrish

Reaction score
i havent gotten this update yet ... if i get ot and install, will this method still work to reroot the fone ?

This method will always work (it says any version doesn't it? ;)) but you can save some time with some work beforehand as this update will overwrite your custom recovery and remove root access.

Edit the meta-inf/com/google/android/updater-script in the FRG83D update.zip to keep your custom recovery and root access, then install the update.zip using SPRecovery.

Changes:

Line 1054 (comment with # or delete entirely)
Code:
 package_extract_dir("recovery", "/system");
Add bolded after line 1058
Code:
set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0644, "/system");
set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/bin");
[B]set_perm(0, 0, 6755, "/system/bin/su");[/B]

Note this will only work if you haven't messed with your FRG22D too much, mainly that no system apps have been removed. You can still get it work if you uninstalled some apps, you just have to find the lines that patch that app and remove them from the script.
I'm attempting to install the OTA update using your instructions here but am coming up short. My Droid is running 2.2 rooted with the method at the begining of this thread (worked perfectly!). I've edited the updater-script in the FRG83D OTA update with the information above. I removed the line with package_extract_dir("recovery", "/system"); and added the line with set_perm(0, 0, 6755, "/system/bin/su"); immediately after line
set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/bin");.
When I attempt to run the update.zip from within SPRecovery I get this message:
-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
Installation aborted.

Any ideas?
I opened the updater-script in the update.zip file I copied to the root of my sdcard just to make sure those changes I made were there- and they were.

Edit: I have not removed any system apps. Just to make sure I went through the system folders referenced in updater-script line by line and verified that all referenced apps/files were actually present on my phone. I don't think it's even getting that far though.

Last edited:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
+1 next post. When a thread gets to over 100 pages this becomes even more important. Thanks hook.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, can we PLEASE stay on topic??

Please make sure you are posting about the topic the thread is about. You just can't post anything you want in the middle of a topic, it will be deleted. Thank you.

zero7404

Reaction score
it is time to part with the droid ... upgraded to a droid 2 global.

many thanks to MotoCache for this thread and thanks to all those that helped out ....

turboswag

Reaction score
update.zip

First of all, great guide, but I've hit a snag. For some reason, when I go to install the update.zip (successful pass) from the sys recovery, it tells me that it can't mount the SD card. I have tried it about 5 times and no luck. it keeps telling me...

"-- Install form sdcard...
Finding update package...
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)
(No such file or directory)
E: can't mount SDCARD:update.zip
Installation aborted"

I have tried the mount USB option in the mount options, but no luck.

I used Windows Explorer to copy the update.zip file to the root of the SD card.

EDIT:
Oh, and I was root, but thanks to Verizon's little gmail update. I'm trying this method

I'm running 2.2.1 FRG83D. I knew, I shouldn't have click the install and reboot button.

Last edited: