[HACKS] Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

ramblin guy

Reaction score
I have a Droid 1 that is rooted with MotoCache1's guide and has the 2.0.1 firmware, the SPRecovery 0.99.3b, and works with a wireless tether. That makes me happy, but of course, I want to be happier and need some advice from people who know more than I do about this with longer attention spans. I'd like to go to the most current firmware update that is close to stock that still allows for my wireless tether. I'd like to not brick it. Is there a guide here to go from 2.0.1 to the most current (not sure what that is)?

Thanks,

Jim

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As I am on my phone I can't link you. But you can go to custom ROM's>MetiCkOne and he has a stock odexed or deodexed 2.2.1 ROM available which is the newest. You should probably wipe beforehand so save anything you will need in the new OS (SMS/MMS). If you need help flashing, see the 2nd link in my signature.

Good luck.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).

ramblin guy

Reaction score
As I'm somewhat of a NooB, what do I do to wipe the phone b4 I flash the new ROM (I'll probably use the SPRecovery method) and what will I lose by wiping? I'm guessing I'll have to reinstall all my favorite apps and username/password combos?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you read the guide in the second link in my signature you will find information on what to wipe.

When you do wipe you will lose MMS/SMS and your installed apps.

The MetiCkOne's ROM has the new market, so I might suggest using Titanium Backup or MyBackUp Pro to save and restore your data (apps, SMS, browser favorites).

There are many other places in this forum for these questions.

Please pose any more questions in the respective threads.

Good luck.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Please just use the thread that guidot linked you and keep this huge one on topic. If you have any other questions about how to flash a rom, start a new thread or ask in a thread about rom flashing, not this one which is about rfooting.

thank you very much

brando56894

Reaction score
Wow this was a lot easier then when I originally rooted my first droid (took about 2 hours because I did everything manually back when 2.1 had just come out). I just got my replacement and thought it was gonna take like a half hour, thanks to your guru's guide it took all of 5 minutes!

mxrider103

Reaction score
Every thing worked fine until i got to step 17 where I have to "install/sdcard/update.zip(deprecated)." When i did this it failed. I think it might have to do with putting the update.zip on my sd card. What I did was drag the file to my phone and made sure it was in the root and not in a folder. Could someone help me with this?

TH3Dr3amstat3

Reaction score
Thank You with all the hubub I thought I'd brick my phone for sure..... Thanks for this excellent guide I'm stock rooted Now and 5 mins. ago I wasn't

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Every thing worked fine until i got to step 17 where I have to "install/sdcard/update.zip(deprecated)." When i did this it failed. I think it might have to do with putting the update.zip on my sd card. What I did was drag the file to my phone and made sure it was in the root and not in a folder. Could someone help me with this?
Did you allow before you told it to install? What error message did you get? Is the file named update.zip and not update or update.zip.zip? :)

droid4607

Reaction score
if i were to root my D1, i dont have to put custom rom on it do i? all i really want to do is change the theme, get a custom boot animation and maybe a couple of other things...is it really worth it for what i want to do? or should i just go for the custom rom along with everything else i want?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well you can theme with metamorph but you would need a deodexed ROM to do it.

So if you want to theme you at least need a stock deodexed ROM.

droid4607

Reaction score
i cant get the update.zip file to work. i can download it but every time i try to install when going thru the safe mode, it tells me there was an error.

ive tried a bunch of sites and tried all the links. i dont know if im doing something wrong or what. seems to me that the file should not stay as a zip file? or do i extract it and put the folders onto my sd card?

sorry to ask for prolly the easiest part of the steps.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's recovery. Are you in stock recovery?

Are you "allowing" the update.zip?