Rom manager won't back up rom or reboot into recovery.

mcbostic

Reaction score
I decided to finally take the plunge and put a different rom on my phone. After the 2.2.1 update my phone has been horrible. It has been super laggy, if that's a word. I figure if I flash a different rom on here it will run much smoother. I've even tried buying clockwork's Droid X Bootstrap Recovery and all it does is reboot the phone and that's it. I have no idea what it would do if I tried to install a rom, probably the same thing, but I'm not taking chances without a nandroid back up. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

illmatic636

Reaction score
I decided to finally take the plunge and put a different rom on my phone. After the 2.2.1 update my phone has been horrible. It has been super laggy, if that's a word. I figure if I flash a different rom on here it will run much smoother. I've even tried buying clockwork's Droid X Bootstrap Recovery and all it does is reboot the phone and that's it. I have no idea what it would do if I tried to install a rom, probably the same thing, but I'm not taking chances without a nandroid back up. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

Try flashing the alternate recovery, then flash clockwork recovery again and you should be good.

JRobzilla

Reaction score

I've got to ask, are you rooted?

OP
M

mcbostic

Reaction score
Thanks that worked. I don't know why o didn't think of that before. Sorry for waisting your guys' time.

ethion

Reaction score
I've got the same problem the OP did.. I went to try to flash alternate recovery but that option is greyed out. I tried to install an earlier version of clockwork that said error downloading. So I tried fixing permissions. But that doesn't seem to have helped.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Update: I rebooted into recovery using the home/power key sequence and it looks like I'm looking at the stock recovery. I am getting an error at the bottom of the recovery screen, E: can't access /cache/recovery/command

Last edited:

illmatic636

Reaction score
If flashing an alt recovery is grayed out, it may be because you don't have the paid version. Not sure how to help you in that case. Maybe look for alternate ways to rewrite clockwork recovery or spl and start from scratch? Or spend the $3 if you haven't already on the Rom Manager Premium?

Sorry, but good luck.

(I'm assuming that you are rooted)

Ampt808

Reaction score
Trouble with ROM Manager backups

I have the same problem as the OP and Ethion. I just paid for this app, too.

In brief:
Flash ClockworkMod Recovery - ok
Backup Current ROM - my phone reboots to my home screen

I tried performing All ClockworkMod Recoveries
- it says 'An error occurred while downloading your recovery". I tried all four optional recoveries.

I tried with and without Advanced Mode checked, Clearing Download Cache, Fix Permissions, Reboot into Recovery (just rebooted)

No backups show in Manage and Restore Backups or on my SD Card.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

illmatic636

Reaction score
When most of us have this type of issue, flashing an alternative recovery like SPL, then flashing back clockwork will resolve this problem. All done thru Rom Manager. Did you try that out?

Then again your a Droid X user... Did not see that. Hope you get it going! :)

Ampt808

Reaction score
I did not have Droid X Recovery Bootstrap installed and believe that is my downfall. I have just d/l'd Bootstrap and will try again. I'll post my result once achieved.

Thanks for your timely response.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Install Droid X Boostrapper, then install ROM manager, then open ROM manager and hit flash ClockworkMod Recovery, then open Droid X Bootstrapper and hit bootstrap recovery (you should see Success!), then hit reboot recovery. This will take you into clockwork and this is also how you need to make all of your backups (and restores) with the DX. ROM manager is spotty at best on the DX for rebooting to recovery. I used to try and use it to make all my backups (and restores), but most of the time it would just reboot my phone. I only use ROM manager to rename my backups these days.

No need for the premium ROM manager, but Droid X Bootstrapper is required, literally.

Last edited:

Ampt808

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give it a try and post my result.

Your instructions worked. I am new to the Android OS but seem to get the hang of things quite fast. I will be trying out my second ROM this weekend.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

bL33d

Reaction score
How does clockwork work with droid x? Is it just bootstrap? Curious was gonna use it but it told me I must have clockwork recovery installed and I didn't want to fubar this phone.

rayne58

Reaction score
Yeah in order for rom manager to boot into recovery go to boot strap and hit boot strap and wait for the success then you can go into rom manager nd make a named backup or wtvr you wana do