[ROM]Fission 2.4 Droid2 Global-Vanilla Generic Android-AOSP Like-Fission ROM Manager

evanlec

Reaction score
I'm very dissatisfied with my Droid 2 Global's battery life at the moment. I'm trying some of those tweaks, except the underclocking. We'll see if I can get the battery life to improve...

My Nexus One didn't get stellar battery life, but I would hope I can get the Droid 2 Global to that level. I have two batteries, so if I need to do I can swap out, but I hopefully won't have to.

I'm also considering the extended battery, which I've heard can be found for about $35. We'll see, I guess...

I'm also very displeased with the d2g battery life. Where can I get one of these extended batteries? 35 bucks doesn't sound too bad if it will fix this issue...

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

ExodusC

Reaction score
I'm very dissatisfied with my Droid 2 Global's battery life at the moment. I'm trying some of those tweaks, except the underclocking. We'll see if I can get the battery life to improve...

My Nexus One didn't get stellar battery life, but I would hope I can get the Droid 2 Global to that level. I have two batteries, so if I need to do I can swap out, but I hopefully won't have to.

I'm also considering the extended battery, which I've heard can be found for about $35. We'll see, I guess...

I'm also very displeased with the d2g battery life. Where can I get one of these extended batteries? 35 bucks doesn't sound too bad if it will fix this issue...

I had heard some people purchased them from the Verizon online store, with a coupon code that dropped the price from $50 to around $35.

Anyhow, this is definitely a problem. Last night, while playing some music from my Droid 2 Global's speaker, occasionally a YouTube video or two, I dropped from a full charge to 20% in a little over an hour.

This battery life is unacceptable, and I'm not sure what to do. I have a battery I took out of an old Droid 1 that I have, and I seem to be getting the battery life problems on that battery as well-- but I need to run some objective tests first to confirm.

Either way, this is a huge problem...

Is anyone else also having an issue where when playing music from the Music app, there will be the occasional static-popping type noise? I have had this problem since before reflashing my Droid 2 Global with Fission, as well as with the AOSP Music app.

Now, here's the interesting bit-- if I watch a YouTube video, I will get no problems with the audio at all. If I rip the audio from that video and listen to it via the Music app, I will get the audio distortions.

I hear them whether or not I have headphones attached, or a stereo attached, or even off the phone's built in speaker.

Any idea about either of these issues? I also get random reboots sometimes when I unlock the phone, but that is likely a different issue entirely.

leobg

Reaction score
I hear those sporadic static-popping noises too. Stock D2G (so far). This very much reminds me about my Milestone whith the initial firmware. But it was quite worse compared to D2G. They fixed it with the following firmware release. I remember it was not coming if you use bluetooth stereo. Feels like D2G suffers similar issue.

OP
AngDroid

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

I had heard some people purchased them from the Verizon online store, with a coupon code that dropped the price from $50 to around $35.

Anyhow, this is definitely a problem. Last night, while playing some music from my Droid 2 Global's speaker, occasionally a YouTube video or two, I dropped from a full charge to 20% in a little over an hour.

This battery life is unacceptable, and I'm not sure what to do. I have a battery I took out of an old Droid 1 that I have, and I seem to be getting the battery life problems on that battery as well-- but I need to run some objective tests first to confirm.

Is anyone else also having an issue where when playing music from the Music app, there will be the occasional static-popping type noise? I have had this problem since before reflashing my Droid 2 Global with Fission, as well as with the AOSP Music app.

Now, here's the interesting bit-- if I watch a YouTube video, I will get no problems with the audio at all. If I rip the audio from that video and listen to it via the Music app, I will get the audio distortions.

I hear them whether or not I have headphones attached, or a stereo attached, or even off the phone's built in speaker.

Any idea about either of these issues? I also get random reboots sometimes when I unlock the phone, but that is likely a different issue entirely.

The AOSP Music app can be the problem for the reboots when you slide to unlock.

I did not use the stock ROM long enough to test battery life on it, was it any better compared to Fission? At first I thought maybe something was wrong with this build of Fission for the D2G but then ran OEM ROM just for a short time and battery life was about the same.

Also, lets not forget that the battery was originally designed for the Original Droid that ran at 600MHz and got a speed bump to 800 when flash came out. The D2G CPU is nearly twice as fast as the original Droid so of course we are going to get battery life that is not up to par with the Droid but that is a dumb mistake by Moto.

OP
AngDroid

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Features:
True Vanilla ROM with generic Android feel, not themed to look line one. No blur apps...
Reboot in Power Menu.

maybe im missing something but installed the latest version from the rom manager plus the update and i still dont have the reboot option in the power menu?

Working on that...most of the post was copy and paste from the other devices. Programming the reboot menu is different than the DX and D2. Patch should be up in a day or two now that I can start doing some dev work again.

OP
AngDroid

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Now that SIM cards are working (and I'm in Europe so that's the only thing I use), I've fully switched to this ROM and I'm loving it. Thanks for all your hard work, AngDroid & co.!

There's still one thing I miss just a little bit - Windows Media Sync mode in the USB Connection. It was nice to have a quick way to sync up my pics and music. From what I've gathered, it's reliant on an MTP service on the phone. With my limited (and potentially dangerous) Android knowledge, I tried copying MediaSync.apk and some WmDrm stuff from the OEM rom over to my /system/app and adding the matching .jar file to /system/framework but alas I can't get the option to show up in USB Connection. Is there a chance that you're planning to add this feature later - if not, am I even close to getting it working on my own? Thanks!

Edit the build.prop with a text editor. Change the mediasync line to true from false.

ExodusC

Reaction score
I hear those sporadic static-popping noises too. Stock D2G (so far). This very much reminds me about my Milestone whith the initial firmware. But it was quite worse compared to D2G. They fixed it with the following firmware release. I remember it was not coming if you use bluetooth stereo. Feels like D2G suffers similar issue.
Okay, cool. I just hope Motorola follows up and releases a firmware update then, the popping is extremely annoying.

The AOSP Music app can be the problem for the reboots when you slide to unlock.

I did not use the stock ROM long enough to test battery life on it, was it any better compared to Fission? At first I thought maybe something was wrong with this build of Fission for the D2G but then ran OEM ROM just for a short time and battery life was about the same.

Also, lets not forget that the battery was originally designed for the Original Droid that ran at 600MHz and got a speed bump to 800 when flash came out. The D2G CPU is nearly twice as fast as the original Droid so of course we are going to get battery life that is not up to par with the Droid but that is a dumb mistake by Moto.
Good to know on the music app; I'll reflash the non-AOSP music app. The only reason I flashed it in the first place was to test for the static popping.

I'm concerned about battery life only because I got an hour of battery life out of a 1420 mAh battery. My Nexus One used 1400 mAh batteries, and I could get a full day's battery life out of it-- not an hour like I'm getting with my Droid 2 Global.

Not only this, some people claim to get 8 or 9 hours out of their Droid 2 Global with heavy usage. I should definitely not be getting one hour.

Also, I can't really comment on stock ROM battery life-- I honestly only ran the stock ROM for a few hours because I hated it so much.

I'll do what I can to resolve the issue and help improve Fission ROM. I'm currently going to cycle the battery from a full charge to dead a few times, as a couple users reported battery increases when doing that. I also have SetCPU to clock the CPU at 600MHz maximum when the screen is off.

mrapollinax

Reaction score
Not only this, some people claim to get 8 or 9 hours out of their Droid 2 Global with heavy usage. I should definitely not be getting one hour.

I can confirm on the Stock ROM I was getting around 10 hours or so with heavy usage (corporate environment). With moderate usage i was getting anywhere between 12-14 hours.

I just flashed over to Fission yesterday and my last unplug was over 15.5 hours ago and I'm now at 5% (batter saver mode = performance). However I am now underclocking to 600mhz with the screen off and using auto scaling 300-1.2mhz using setcpu.

leobg

Reaction score
AngDroid, have you incorporated any of the 2.4.330 "fixes" in Fission?

edit:
Also - is there any way to get Motorola's dialer in? I absolutely love it and prefer it much over anything on market or AOSP dialer - quick search feature and especially full landscape support is gold!
I also got used to Moto Car dock - less hassle to get around than AOSP one - any plans to integrate that one too?

Reaction score
^ couldn't you replace the dialer apk with a dump from the stock rom? I just got my D2G and really want to root and get this thing customized...stock sucks... ~5 hrs of moderate use and this things dead... and I know a lot of it is bloatware.

Genetics

Reaction score
AngDroid - is the Motorola Dialer tied into Blur? I like it better then the stock dialer and I'm running a app from the market to force the phone to return back to the home screen after a outbound call is made. The moto app had that built in.

leobg

Reaction score
I am concerned original dealer is blur dependant. Will try, but I don't have much hope.
Using the original ROM, I resurrected the missing VPN client and (almost) the Moto Car dock. Car Dock however is not fully functional - calls to dialer are missing. I'll give dialler a try, but as I said I suspect it will fail.

Genetics

Reaction score
I am concerned original dealer is blur dependant. Will try, but I don't have much hope.
Using the original ROM, I resurrected the missing VPN client and (almost) the Moto Car dock. Car Dock however is not fully functional - calls to dialer are missing. I'll give dialler a try, but as I said I suspect it will fail.

Thanks for giving it a shot. I imagine some of this will have to wait until Fussion comes out.

Do want to give a shout out on how great the rom is overall..hard to imagine the D2G without it now.

kingwaffle

Reaction score
I posted this on xda as well, but I'll inquire here.

Anyone's GPS not working at all with this? I've flashed it twice and it never gets a lock.

Is it possible to patch a-GPS back in?

mrapollinax

Reaction score
I used Navigation this afternoon with no problems. I have the weather widget running as well and it updates as expected.