Rom - Darkslide versions (so many)

Maxwell

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just rooted my Droid X (yay!)...now moving onto installing a ROM for my DX.

Question is I wanted to start with Darkslide ROM but when I go to the site...there are so many versions...i cannot make heads or tails of it all.

I am currently running a rooted Froyo 2.3.340

Can anyone help direct me on how i am suppose to choose the ROM version that is applicable to my current setup?

Im a ROM n00b...little help please :)

rnh

Reaction score
Darkslide x is for gingerbread. If you want that rom you need to upgrade with the ROOTED .596 gingerbread update. If you want to stay on froyo darkslide 4.2 blur or blurless is froyo based. Blur will let you use HDMI out. The 4.2 version is better for smoother internet scrolling and downloads pages better in weaker signal areas. All versions are very pretty. Enable fast animations in spare parts for quicker action transitions. Download: Official DROIDX Gingerbread 4.5.596 for Rooted Users - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog here is the rooted .596 link. Download part 1,2 and deodexed and install in that order using d2 bootstrap app after wiping data, then wiping cache then wiping dalvik cache. _after doing the wipes in d2 B's install the three parts in order 1,2 and deodex. Then reboot and let .596 come up. Skip all the sign ins. Go to files after skipping the sign ins. Redownload d2bs ,activate it, do the wipes ,go to install zip and scroll to darkslide x and install it. If you don't know how to do these tholings there are you tube videos which are the best way to learn.

Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap v1.0.0.3.apk
here is a link to d2 bootstrap

rnh

Reaction score
By the way D's Roms are great. You can't go wrong with any of them. If you wipe before and after the installs less problems crop up that people blame on the roms themselves

OP
M

Maxwell

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch rnh. Very helpful info

Yes i was interested in possibly moving to Gingerbread...but read somewhere that they do not support Wifi Tether/Barnacle...which is a big deal for me as i travel alot and love my tethering for my Ipad.

I dont know if they found an EASY way around this issue for Gingerbread yet...but if you know, can you please post the link?

Thanks again!

rnh

Reaction score
Become a member of my droid world. The owner/founder bbcrackman is the creator of darkslide. You can pm him. He's super helpful. Rkramden, a member is very knowledgeable and helpful. Go there and sign up now. Under forums go to droid x and droid x roms. Don't be afraid to pm bb. He's always around and super nice. Sorry, I don't wireless tether but I know you can use iton gb. Verizon is just cracking down on charging for it. The key for you it sounds like is finding a way to do it wo Verizon detecting it.

FernBch

Reaction score
When you go to MDW, read the entire post for DarkslideX, it's about 118 pages but has lots of info. I flashed this rom and love it. I have a post there detailing what I did to flash it (somewhere around 95 or so; my username is the same over there) but complete instructions are on page 1. I saw a post here, I think, about tethering under 596 and a TBH hack.

My DroidX Thrives on the DarkSlide!!

rnh

Reaction score
Yes,FernBch is a frequent and great poster. The only thing I would add is that in the install instructions it dsx is already deodexed, but I would still do the deodexed3 part install of .596 rooted GB rather than just part1 and . It fixesa few problems some people had w dsx.

OP
M

Maxwell

Reaction score
Ok thank you all for the detailed responses. Helps a ton
I have tried about 4 different ROMs so far and really diggin Darkslide alot.
I will start exploring the gingerbread direction.
Thanks again guys

FernBch

Reaction score
Also make sure you do a factory reset after sbf AND after getting to 596. You don't have to worry about activation and sync until after you're runnin dsx. Just run a sync before you start so you are doing a current sync when you're done.

My DroidX Thrives on the DarkSlide!!