Ringtones show up with a different name on ringtone list.

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
Why are some ringtones showing up with different names?

View attachment 69102

View attachment 69103

I named the ringtone iPhone 5S but it shows up as Opening in the ringtone list. (See pictures posted as attachments to the thread) Why is it doing this? I have a Droid Razr M. This is not the first time this happens. I even named a ringtone Motorola Alluring and shows up as alluring in the ringtone list.

OP
droideddie13

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
Nevermind I fixed them by renaming them and saving them using Ringtone Maker app.

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
The phone might be paying attention to ID3 tags (information that can be stored in the sound file that tells programs like iTunes and Google Music the name of the song and what album it came from, among other stuff) or something like that, instead of just the file name. The Ringtone Maker app probably just stripped the files of this information, which is why they're now displaying the way you want.

OP
droideddie13

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
The phone might be paying attention to ID3 tags (information that can be stored in the sound file that tells programs like iTunes and Google Music the name of the song and what album it came from, among other stuff) or something like that, instead of just the file name. The Ringtone Maker app probably just stripped the files of this information, which is why they're now displaying the way you want.

Thanks for the information. I actually did not know ringtones had ID3 tags. I thought only songs had this tags. And yes you are correct. The Ringtone Maker app strips out just the sound from the mp3 file and saves it in a new mp3 file.