RIM Considering Splitting Its Business; May Sell Handsets to Facebook or Amazon

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
circling-the-drain.jpg

rim-logo-grey-gold.jpg

This isn't directly Android related, but might be significant or interesting to some of you anyway. According to a new report over at Reuters, RIM may be finally circling the bottom of the drain and looking to split in-two. According to Reuters' report, and without naming sources, supposedly, RIM is considering separating its struggling handset manufacturing division from its messaging network. Initially, they may be looking to sell off their handset division to Facebook or Amazon. Additionally, they may also consider selling or renting their messaging service to Google or Apple to generate income. Finally, this same report even suggests (again without naming sources), that they may simply leave the company intact and sell off a large portion of it to someone like Microsoft. Of course, this could all speculation, but it would be interesting nonetheless.

It's sad how far Rim has fallen. Wouldn't it simply have been smarter for RIM to jump on the Android bandwagon and found a way to integrate their messaging service with it? That might have hurt their pride, but it would have likely saved the company. What do you guys think?

Source: Reuters

nikecar

Reaction score
I always hated blackberries. I just found them cumbersome.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I liked some bb concepts and ideas... but this just goes to show you that you need to listen to your customers, and don't let yourself get stagnant. You have to stay ahead of the curve... but if you go the wrong way, and the curve doesn't follow, its disastrous too.

Such is the American business world these days.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

CookevilleWxGuy

Reaction score
RIM is Canadian

I liked some bb concepts and ideas... but this just goes to show you that you need to listen to your customers, and don't let yourself get stagnant. You have to stay ahead of the curve... but if you go the wrong way, and the curve doesn't follow, its disastrous too.

Except that RIM is a Canadian company.... :biggrin:

By the way, I always loved the Blackberry, EXCEPT for the browser...for me it was the deal killer that took me to Android. Had they fixed that issue, I would have stayed.

vance1980

Reaction score
I don't know what year it was but i was in the marine corps and serving out in california. There was a man on the plane with this funky looking object and i asked him what it was. he said its the new thing out; its a blackberry. I just had to get my hand on one and for years loved it. i mean everyone had one and the bbm was just awesome. i really would love to see them stay afloat because competition is just awesome in this line of business. and i mean one thing is for sure they had sending and receiving emails down pat for sure.
well now we have androids and iPhones. and why both are great devices if it wasn't for android doing what it does and sending it out to everyone just the way microsoft does i'm sure they would be just down the same road sooner or later.

vance1980

Reaction score
But did they not try that with OS 10? I mean have you even seen that it looks great :) and they have touch phones and everything. I think it had a lot to do with not having enough apps? does that make sense?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Except that RIM is a Canadian company.... :biggrin:

By the way, I always loved the Blackberry, EXCEPT for the browser...for me it was the deal killer that took me to Android. Had they fixed that issue, I would have stayed.

Point taken, but I was meaning as in doing business in America.

Jeyman

Reaction score
They took way to long. Even if BBM came out for android I would not get it at this point. To few people use it; nearly 3 years back when I got my droid 1 I would of jumped on BBM(I think I would of paid up to $30 for it even) as a ton of my friends still had BB's

Now 90%+ use Iphones/android. Unless it was a free app. even $.99 would be to high a price for the single person off the top of my head that uses BB still.

Now selling to facebook, that might be really smart on their part(tho why would facebook buy rim? they are so far away from the norm at this point)
-facebook is social(rim is more corporation life, I mean my job had me read and sign a statement saying I wont talk badly about my company on any social media. Funny part I dont belong to any social sites anymore unless you count forums.)
-facebook seems more in the reach of touch screen phones if you ask me.... rim has failed at this

I just do not see what facebook could gain from rim really, ya its a phone maker but a failing one who really is not innovating in the direction facebook is going. I guess stranger things have happened.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I always hated blackberries. I just found them cumbersome.

Same here. My first smartphone was a Blackberry Storm, biggest mistake I ever made. I didn't get the phone I really wanted until the OG Droid came out. I tried it once at the mall kiosk, surfed the web for a minute, and was replacing the Storm about 5 minutes later. I wasn't up for an upgrade (due to the damn Storm) but figured the Droid was worth the $579 full retail price. VZW rep felt so sorry for me for having the Storm that he gave me $150 off the Droid. Let me just say, it was WELL worth $429 to not have to deal with the Storm anymore.

EDIT: And one thing I never understood about Blackberry. WHY do I need a seperate server set up to push Exchange email? In this day and age, that is so redundant. I haven't seen much on my BESX machine at work that I cannot do equally well on the Exchange server. Why RIM hasn't switched to Activesync yet, i'll never know. And if the big corporate/government contracts actually WANT BES, why not at least provide an Activesync option for other customers?

Last edited:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
How can they have it this bad, when in different countries there are hundreds of stores that are decided to sell blackberry accessories.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
How can they have it this bad, when in different countries there are hundreds of stores that are decided to sell blackberry accessories.

They have those places in the malls around here. 99% of what they sell are for low end Curve models. Those continue to be very popular with the teenage texting set. Hence the fact that you need entire stores dedicated to selling blinged out accessories for them.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Yea, RIM should be renamed to RIP. I have to program blackberry's for sprint wireless and they take forever and a day to reboot, update the profile (which often fails) and to perform a master reset (which is often need when the update profile fails). I wish sprint would just stop offering blackberry's, but to each their own.