Returning Droid

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Wow guys sorry to hear that you are returning both your Droids. I totally understand your frustration and complaints. I too was experiencing the same things you are describing and more. Ironically my husband hasn't experienced them as bad as I was. I was also ready to dump my Droid (I have had mine too long to return). So I took the big leap and rooted my phone. ALL my issues were resolved. My phone quality is better than any phone i had and the productivity with my Droid is better than the day I got the phone. I am soooo happy with my phone now that my husband wants me to root his (RoLaDroiD watch out!!).

All I am saying is, the Droid is a pretty awesome machine. You may want to consider rooting your phones before returning them. I think that may clear up your issues. I know it did mine. If rooting does not clear your issues I know that you can unroot before returning them to verizon.

Now you will have to pry my droid from my dead cold hands!! I absolutely love it and am doing backflips since rooting.

Just my 2 cents worth.

There is a lot involved with rooting a 2.1 phone these days. It would be a pain to learn to root, and remove it all if this option doesn't work for them.

The droid is great, yes, especially rooted, but there has to be an alternative for sound quality besides rooting the phone.

And where we've had plenty of time to learn and read and read and read over the details of rooting, they might not have. There might be a disaster waiting to happen if that is the case. Getting into adb shell, terminal emulators, installing files... And even at that, they might not want to root ever. And you have to consider they might not even know the ramifications of rooting the phone like you or I do. So while you are suggesting this for the problem, you also have to relay the information that goes along with it: It can be a pain in the butt, it could possibly take you hours to get it done, it might not fix the problem, it might take hours to get it back to stock, and while you are rooted you have no warranty coverage.

Besides, do they even know what rooting is?

30 days isn't that much time and I'm guessing they haven't even had it half of that time, so there is a good chance these people don't even know what rooting is, let alone what it can do for the phone overall.

The simple things that we take for granted because we know, might be all new to them and it might be a good idea to give some background info on what you are telling someone to do.

mantis5

Reaction score
You're probably already aware of this, but another thing that can affect call clarity is if something is obstructing the noise-cancelling mic on the top, the little hole near the headphone jack. If you are using a case that covers it, or covering that mic with your finger while talking, it could contribute to the issue.

iPirate

Reaction score
Talk to Verizon, I'm sure they will help you seeing they will be missing out on two plans that give them a lot of $ each month.

R

Romple

It sounds like there might be some technical problem with your phone that you might want to investigate before getting rid of them outright...

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow guys sorry to hear that you are returning both your Droids. I totally understand your frustration and complaints. I too was experiencing the same things you are describing and more. Ironically my husband hasn't experienced them as bad as I was. I was also ready to dump my Droid (I have had mine too long to return). So I took the big leap and rooted my phone. ALL my issues were resolved. My phone quality is better than any phone i had and the productivity with my Droid is better than the day I got the phone. I am soooo happy with my phone now that my husband wants me to root his (RoLaDroiD watch out!!).

All I am saying is, the Droid is a pretty awesome machine. You may want to consider rooting your phones before returning them. I think that may clear up your issues. I know it did mine. If rooting does not clear your issues I know that you can unroot before returning them to verizon.

Now you will have to pry my droid from my dead cold hands!! I absolutely love it and am doing backflips since rooting.

Just my 2 cents worth.

So, simply the act of rooting helped your phone perform better, or did you mean it allowed you to customize things that helped it perform better?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Since we all throwing out suggestions: did yall try going to Settings/Call Settings and checking/unchecking Voice Privacy? Or leaving it checked or unchecked to see if it helps?

Believe me when I say I rarely call the customer service reps for problems with TV's, PC's, cellphones, etc. I walked my older brother thru getting the internet working on his laptop. He called Dell and Verizon. They couldnt help him. His problem? He needed updated ethernet drivers....lol Updating drivers is one of the first things u check for. (even tho sometimes updated drivers can cause problems and older ones are better) Actually in his case they were none installed at all. They called back for a follow up, he told them they should hire me...lol

A solution might be here in these very forums.......

Last edited:

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie

Just my 2 cents worth.

So, simply the act of rooting helped your phone perform better, or did you mean it allowed you to customize things that helped it perform better?

No, I had my phone set up with replacement homes and beautiful widgets and stuff. I was lovin it then the 2.1 OTA came out and after I loaded it my phone call quality sucked. I sounded like I was in a tin can or had my hand over the receiver all the time. I was having FC's all the time. My screen was not responsive at all. It was frustrating. I did factory resets, dumped apps the whole nine yards. I finally decided (eventhough I had thought about it for 3 months) to take the plunge and root my phone. I figured it couldn't hurt at this point. I was totally ready to go back to my BB. Well it was a marathon job and without RoLaDroid's help I could not have done it, but once my phone was rooted and overclocked the change was unbelievable. I could not believe how responsive my phone got. Nothing fc anymore. Both my mother and husband (who are on droids) notice the drastic change in my call quality.

So no I didn't root for the customizations, I rooted in hope to improve the functionality of my phone and it did!!

Mule65

Reaction score
Seriously we are fed up... we are going back to the basics... LG Cosmos phones... no bells, no whistles... just texting and calling... forget the rest...

LG Cosmos is a great basic phone/texter. :)

RMelts315

Reaction score
1) Why I am returning... it is a great phone, and when talking with most people it is 95% as clear as my previous verizon phone... however, when talking to my wife (droid to droid) the calls are muffled, there are electronics sounds behind our voices, the calls are simply unacceptable. We spend so much time saying "What?"

2) The return policy states "original packaging"... so I am trying to avoid the fight. I agree I should be able to get around that. My monthly bill is at least $250 - I have 6 phones, 3 of which are out of contract so if they want to continue getting my money, they will "work with me"...

3) To get the rebates you have to cut all that identifying information off and send it in... so I don't know that after that there is any difference in the packaging. And if there is... oh well...

As a verizon wireless employee I can tell you that the box means nothing, however, the UPC required for the rebates (which must match phone ESN) is required. Otherwise you WILL pay the amount of the rebates, as this is guaranteed money once sent out, plus restocking fees. This is pretty much a non-negotiable thing due to store managers now being scored on how many restocking fees they waive. From experience, the store I work in runs into your situation 3 to 4 times a month, and not once is any "fees" waived. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news my friend, but you might end up eating those rebates and restocking fees.