Returning Droid

jamnrats

Reaction score
Does anyone have original Verizon Packaging they don't need anymore... my wife through her's out and we are returning our droids...

Please let me know asap.

Thanks

Darkseider

Reaction score
Sorry my packaging is long gone. Although I am curious as to why you are returning them?

Benton

Reaction score
We threw ours out too after we took the rebates and probably many others did the same, sorry. Can't you return without the packaging as long as all the other parts are there?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can. You can even avoid the restocking charge if you play your cards right. ;)

Kenny007

Reaction score
Would someone else's packaging even work in this case? The serial numbers on the box and the device within wouldn't match, so wouldn't the box be just as worthless to VZW?

Then again, they may not even look?

Loving my Droid so far (2 weeks with it), surprised to see someone returning it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Would someone else's packaging even work in this case? The serial numbers on the box and the device within wouldn't match, so wouldn't the box be just as worthless to VZW?

Then again, they may not even look?

Loving my Droid so far (2 weeks with it), surprised to see someone returning it.

I was thinking the same thing too. I'm assuming that's why they want the box, to avoid a restocking fee. It doesn't matter, I think they will still try and charge you for it. Unless you are in the first 3 days of use of your Droid.

OP
J

jamnrats

Reaction score
Replies

1) Why I am returning... it is a great phone, and when talking with most people it is 95% as clear as my previous verizon phone... however, when talking to my wife (droid to droid) the calls are muffled, there are electronics sounds behind our voices, the calls are simply unacceptable. We spend so much time saying "What?"

2) The return policy states "original packaging"... so I am trying to avoid the fight. I agree I should be able to get around that. My monthly bill is at least $250 - I have 6 phones, 3 of which are out of contract so if they want to continue getting my money, they will "work with me"...

3) To get the rebates you have to cut all that identifying information off and send it in... so I don't know that after that there is any difference in the packaging. And if there is... oh well...

Darkseider

Reaction score
1) Why I am returning... it is a great phone, and when talking with most people it is 95% as clear as my previous verizon phone... however, when talking to my wife (droid to droid) the calls are muffled, there are electronics sounds behind our voices, the calls are simply unacceptable. We spend so much time saying "What?"

2) The return policy states "original packaging"... so I am trying to avoid the fight. I agree I should be able to get around that. My monthly bill is at least $250 - I have 6 phones, 3 of which are out of contract so if they want to continue getting my money, they will "work with me"...

3) To get the rebates you have to cut all that identifying information off and send it in... so I don't know that after that there is any difference in the packaging. And if there is... oh well...

ONE suggestion if you haven't done so prior to returning the Droids. On each phone dial *228 and the select option 2 and see if that improves quality any.

pyro6128

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure when they say original packaging they mean before you cut out the info for the warranty. A box with a huge hole cut in the side is worthless to them, its not like they can reuse it.

OP
J

jamnrats

Reaction score
Attempted Fixes

We have tried numerous things to try and fix the problem...

- Battery out for 5 minutes, then *228
- Waited for the "big" update
- *228 again
- Battery out for 5 minutes, then *228 again
- Hidden code in phone setting calls to higher quality

Seriously we are fed up... we are going back to the basics... LG Cosmos phones... no bells, no whistles... just texting and calling... forget the rest...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
We have tried numerous things to try and fix the problem...

- Battery out for 5 minutes, then *228
- Waited for the "big" update
- *228 again
- Battery out for 5 minutes, then *228 again
- Hidden code in phone setting calls to higher quality

Seriously we are fed up... we are going back to the basics... LG Cosmos phones... no bells, no whistles... just texting and calling... forget the rest...

Hey, that's fine. Droid isn't for everybody. I know I don't have any problems talking to my wife Droid to Droid. I can recall a couple of times when it sounded a little like a funnel, but usually it's crystal clear.

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Benton

Reaction score
I can certainly understand the frustration...afterall, it is a phone. I'll ask the obvious - did you contact Verizon tech support and did they offer any ideas? If so I am surprised they would just give you suggestions and not follow through to make sure it all worked. My wife and I have Droids and do not get muffled conversations between us making me think there is something unique about the set-up or signals you are receiving. Do you have bluetooth devices and are the calls still "muffled" when using them? Just taking stabs ...

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Wow guys sorry to hear that you are returning both your Droids. I totally understand your frustration and complaints. I too was experiencing the same things you are describing and more. Ironically my husband hasn't experienced them as bad as I was. I was also ready to dump my Droid (I have had mine too long to return). So I took the big leap and rooted my phone. ALL my issues were resolved. My phone quality is better than any phone i had and the productivity with my Droid is better than the day I got the phone. I am soooo happy with my phone now that my husband wants me to root his (RoLaDroiD watch out!!).

All I am saying is, the Droid is a pretty awesome machine. You may want to consider rooting your phones before returning them. I think that may clear up your issues. I know it did mine. If rooting does not clear your issues I know that you can unroot before returning them to verizon.

Now you will have to pry my droid from my dead cold hands!! I absolutely love it and am doing backflips since rooting.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Kenny007

Reaction score
The bluetooth suggestion is a fine one. Before I got my own droid, a friend of mine who's had one since launch would often call me with a bluetooth device (he's tried 2 so far I believe). Both of them made him sound like absolute garbage; muffled, windtunnel, you name it.

He'd then call back without the device...crystal clear.

I haven't had a chance to use anything bluetooth with my Droid yet (short of a Droid to Droid bluetooth file transfer) so I don't know if it's a problem with the headsets he's using, the droid, or something else entirely.

Then again, if you're not using bluetooth, all this is moot.

toddegreene

Reaction score
Before you return, try one last thing. On each phone, dial ##PROGRAM, enter 000000 for passcode. Then select 04 VOCODE. Choose 13k from menu, apply, then reboot. This changes the voice compression. If that doesn't work, sorry to see you go.