Returning a Tampered Droid???

barcafan10

Reaction score
I broke my screen, bought a new screen and replaced it. obviously i had to take out the void sticker on the screw to do this. after replacing the screen, i still had some problems with my phone so on a limb, i took it to the verizon store and got very lucky. The guy ordered a new phone for me and I was very excited. Until i realized that when i send my phone back, they'll see that its been tampered with. My friend suggest me keeping both phones but i heard they'd charge me for a brand new phone. Do you think verizon would really say no you tampered with your old phone send us the new phone back?

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
If they notice they'll probably just bill you..... $500....

cpjr

Reaction score
They won't warranty it, that's the entire point of having that sticker. And yes they will charge you full price if you don't return the other phone.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If it's a VZW replacement then you have 10 days to ship one back. If they see that you took it apart you'll be charged full retail price for the one they shipped you.

What problems are you having? Maybe we can fix some or all of them.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1

They won't warranty it, that's the entire point of having that sticker. And yes they will charge you full price if you don't return the other phone.

DroidForums Junkie!!

nimblejester

Reaction score
Don't expect a new phone mine quit and they sent me another. D pad don't work on this one but who uses it anyway.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
B

barcafan10

Reaction score
damn =/ and the calibration got messed up, when i press on one letter, it sometimes presses that letter twice and sometimes presses a completely different letter. when scrolling through the internet it zooms in and out at will. and when i talk on the phone it doesn't let me see the screen, so if i call someone and they don't answer i can't even hang up. =/

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
So, you're saying that you broke your screen, replaced it, and now the replacement screen is screwy.

Do you have insurance on your phone? If so it'll cost less than a new screen to replace it. If not, do you have a homeowners policy that could cover it?

OP
B

barcafan10

Reaction score
yes but my friend thinks that it's because of the oil in my fingers when it came in contact with the gold strip while taking it apart? and no i don't...what is homeowner's policy?
and also my cracked screen was mainly cracked around the home, menu, ect. sensors at the bottom...so when taking out the old screen, i also took out a lot of adhesive from that portion of the frame. so now this new screen is like a millimeter above the frame itself. the verizon guy noticed it, knew i had no insurance, but still proceded to order me a new phone, even after taking out the battery from the back (where he could've easily noticed the void sticker was gone)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
The guy in the store has no say over what the IT phones will do once they get their hands on it. And since most of that is probably done by Motorola guys, forget about it.

Homeowners policy would be your home insurance. Renters insurance? Any kind of insurance policy that might cover personal possessions. Please note, I'm not saying commit fraud, but if you have any insurance that might cover this, now's the time to start looking into it.

OP
B

barcafan10

Reaction score
well it's actually a droid incredible, and about how much would that run?
i'm only eighteen years old though.

OP
B

barcafan10

Reaction score
and you're forget about it insinuated that they're gonna notice immediately and ask for the phone back or bill me right?

Detonation

Reaction score
If you keep both phones, they will bill you $500+.
If you send back the voided phone and they notice (which is likely), they will bill you $500+.
They aren't going to ask you for you old phone back.

Your best bet is to just send the replacement back when you receive it. They don't care what they get back as long as they just receive a phone and it hasn't been damaged/tampered with/etc

cpjr

Reaction score
Yup, send the replacement back or pay nearly $600.