Returning my phone to Verizon... Unlocked bootloader?!

tw15egan

Reaction score
Alright guys, my GNex's USB port stopped working.. it will charge fine, but will NOT connect to computer's USB port. Was working a few days ago, haven't installed anything new or downloaded any new apps, but now it will not connect. Verizon is sending me a replacement, and I am sending mine back to them. I was able to unroot and I have a stock 4.0.2 image on the phone now, but I cannot lock the boot loader without ADB which needs me to connect the phone to my computer. The only way you can tell is when it boots up there is a little 'unlocked' icon underneath the Google image.

Will Verizon hassle me because the bootloader is unlocked?

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
They might insinuate that you attempted root and messed it up, but if you didn't do it, you didn't do it. That's if anyone even takes the time to look for it. I read somewhere that they really don't prioritize looking for root related problems unless you've been through a few phones. Stick your guns and you'll be good.

OP
tw15egan

tw15egan

Reaction score
Yeah like I said, the phone is fully wiped and I have tried installing root apps, and it won't let me, so I'm assuming that means there is no root. It's a hardware problem, so I hope they don't try and pull that...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Never heard of a phone being sent back unlocked. If they know how to tell then you may get hassled.

OP
tw15egan

tw15egan

Reaction score
Never heard of a phone being sent back unlocked. If they know how to tell then you may get hassled.

According to some other posts I've seen, some people have sent in phones that were still rooted, but they could have been bricked and no way to tell that they were indeed rooted... Guess I just have to wait..

OP
tw15egan

tw15egan

Reaction score
I would take a little more time trying to return it to factory settings if you can afford to do so. Although it may not be detected, if it is, your warranty is void and the phone will simply be sent back. Try looking here, How to UNRoot and Lock the Samsung Galaxy Nexus! - YouTube this video may be of assistance.

Believe me I would love to follow those instructions, but they all require a USB connection. Like I said, I am completely back to factory settings EXCEPT the bootloader is still unlocked, and the only way to do that is via fastboot

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
My bad, i totally forgot about your pooched usb. Is there a backup you can access from a point where all root functions/usb were functioning properly? I would resotre that and go from there. I know that simple and you've probably tried, but OCD demands I point that out.

OP
tw15egan

tw15egan

Reaction score
No worries man, it's all good! Yeah, I tried pretty much everything to get the USB port to work, but it seems pretty shot. Was just wondering if anyone had similar experiencing sending things back..

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
Everything I've ever sent back was in factory condition, but as I said, I did hear that it's not something that even always gets checked.

OP
tw15egan

tw15egan

Reaction score
Maybe they will just look away for a few moments when the phone is booting and not realize it :)

From my searching, it seems some people have even been sent bootloader-unlocked phones straight from Verizon, so I am 80% sure I will be fine! Was just hoping for reassurance for my phone-related anxiety

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Are you able to move this thread to the Galaxy Nexus section? You might find more answers there. If not maybe a Mod can help out by moving it, it's up to you though tw15egan

OP
tw15egan

tw15egan

Reaction score
Eh, I've already tried anything device specific, I was just wondering about other people's experiences with Verizon Tech Support and rooted phones. Thanks though!

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

I agree. If they want to, they may be able to deny your warranty claim. You're better off searching for a way to return the phone to stock before you send it back.

OP
tw15egan

tw15egan

Reaction score
There is absolutely no way to lock a bootloader, except through ADB. ADB requires a USB connection, and my USB port is dunzo