Restore Gallery.apk on Fussion 2.4.2 (messed it up)

mguel

Reaction score
Hi, I really don't like much the 3D style galleries, so after I installed Fission 2.4.2 ROM I tried to install the gallery from android 2.1 but it didn't let me do it: it displayed the progress bar "Installing..."... and then an error icon and the message that the app wasn't installed.

But the problem, is that after this, when I tried to open the "normal" gallery (from android 2.2, moto and fission use the same app), it closes instantly.

I tried to reinstall it with no luck. went back to nandroid backups of the motorola rom and also reinstalled the Fission to copy the Gallery.apk, to reinstall it on my current fission backed up ROM... but both versions, that I believe are the same... had the same problem.
I also manually copied it with root explorer to /system/app, with the same permissions as the other apps there rw-r--r--, but no luck.
Later I tried to back it up with titanium backup from "moto" and fission backups, so I could restore it on my current rom, but it didn't work.
Tried to delete the app data from the froyo "Manage Applications"... also restores only the data of the working gallery (from moto/fission) with titanium back up.

Haven't been able to make the gallery from 2.1 work neither. I only managed to make work another 3d gallery which I believe is the cooliris one... but it's even more "3d" than the other I wanted to replace... besides being slow and unresponsive its erratic and it moves anywhere and not to what you are trying to see.

I'll appreciate any help to restore the gallery from Fission/Moto or even better to make work the 2d one from android 2.1... the cooliris one is driving me crazy... and one of the things I use the most my phone is to watch pictures and videos. And I can't imagine what other thing to do.

Thanks in advance,
Mguel

Last edited:
OP
M

mguel

Reaction score
Ok, it has nothing to do with the app itself... restored the fresh fission rom, gallery opened ok and was "loading". After a while I tried to open it again and it began crashing/closing instantly. If I delete the media storage data (from manage applications) gallery stops closing... for a while.
Restored my current/customized fission rom backup, and the same thing if I delete media storage data gallery works for a while until... some conflicting image/media file is loaded/indexed I imagine.

Has anyone came through something similar? Where should I start looking?

Cheers,
Mguel

Ps:i'll update if I do any progress

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
try one of the new multimedia packages on FRM...

You may need to go back to OEM backup and start fresh...

OP
M

mguel

Reaction score
try one of the new multimedia packages on FRM...
Thanks for the answer... where can I find those packages? (I've only be using D2G for 2 days) when I run FRM (I have the lite version), I only see ROMs (2.4.2, 2.4.2-upgrade, and stock).

I've sort of worked around the problem with the 2.2 gallery (I believe I'm in the process to really):

I added a ".nomedia" file to almost all folders and gallery ran ok (displaying a couple of pic folders I left without the .nomedia file... didn't add it to music folders neither). So now I'll start removing it from the other pic folders I have to see what folder was causing trouble.

SOmething similar happened to me on Milestone (1) with android 2 and 2.1... I though it was a OS/software issue... it heated like hell, and got very slow, and the battery drained in 1-2 hours. I saw the media process (I don't remember the name) was using the cpu heavily, and someone suggested me or I read somewhere that there was probably a file making the process hang... so I did the same thing until I identified the folder/file causing the problem.

OP
M

mguel

Reaction score
OK... still working with the pic folders I care... so dancedroid

And by the way, I'm impressed with how fast that D2G is... even more with Fission ROM imo (I didn't use the motorola version a lot). Even running on lower speeds, ie I set with SetCPU to reduce speed to 600 Mhz when battery is under 31%... and even then... runs great.

And after using it for a while, I'm linking the Gallery app :p... (I would disable the 3d effects and it would be great... I have a fixation with speed :p, although 3d effects are nice to impress friends ;) so I haven't disabled them in the setting)

Cheers, and great thanks to DeFuse team!