Resolution of "low on space" notification problem

TheFix

Reaction score
HAD TO RESET
I had to factory reset but it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be.
Only took an hour to get the phone settings back.

After getting the error for the 5th time, the phone froze. there was no other option.

The good thing is that I've learned so much about settings now I don't imagine i'll ever have a memory problem again.

App Brain made the process almost painless
Top Android Apps and Games in the Android Market | AppBrain.com

NOW I KNOW

The killer is FACEBOOK & TWITTER contact sync turning that setting off makes a huge difference in memory.
The reason i know is contact storage used to be my largest app at a whopping, obese 455MB.
Now my largest app is a 7MB game i now this through
SETTINGS>MANAGE APPLICATIONS (Sort by size)

So i believe CONTACT SYNC in FB & Twitter was tripling my contact storage needs- a huge memory hog.
now contact storage has a beach body- super small.

I don't know if this is the issue for everyone, but as near as I can tell there is a serious glitch with these phones regarding a .TRASHES folder.

Basically everytime you delete something from the phone (not when you are connected to the computer) it goes into a trash bin. Then you can't access the trash bin to delete anything. So, all these images, movies, whatever you have ever deleted interms of media goes into this place and just sits there.

The only way I found to delete the trash bin is to download this beautiful app: DiskUsage
Type that in the market place just like that and it will pop up
Download it now.
The open it.
Go into /mnt/emmc
It will scan
And you'll see all that crap in your .trashes folder.
Then click on each file (I know it blows)
Press menu
Then tap delete

This freed up so much space.

It got to the point where I couldn't put any music on my phone.

Droid has really lost some stock with me after this garbage.

hotdog12

Reaction score
I downloaded this app, scanned, and dug into the recommended directory. I can't find any .trashes file. Where the heck is that thing? TIA

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I downloaded this app, scanned, and dug into the recommended directory. I can't find any .trashes file. Where the heck is that thing? TIA

Which app did you download?

TheFix

Reaction score

I don't know. We may different phones. I have incredible 2. You would know it if you saw it. Because so much crap was in the .trashes folder the .trashes folder that was blue in color was really long with all the beige files in it. Once you open the program you should be given three options to scan. Internal memory, SD card, and something else. Hit each one and snoop around for files that you know you don't need.

hotdog12

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I've got the regular Droid, so maybe the file structue is a bit different. I'll dig around some more.