Resolution of "low on space" notification problem

CBLJazz

Reaction score
HAD TO RESET
I had to factory reset but it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be.
Only took an hour to get the phone settings back.

After getting the error for the 5th time, the phone froze. there was no other option.

The good thing is that I've learned so much about settings now I don't imagine i'll ever have a memory problem again.

App Brain made the process almost painless
http://www.appbrain.com/

NOW I KNOW

The killer is FACEBOOK & TWITTER contact sync turning that setting off makes a huge difference in memory.
The reason i know is contact storage used to be my largest app at a whopping, obese 455MB.
Now my largest app is a 7MB game i now this through
SETTINGS>MANAGE APPLICATIONS (Sort by size)

So i believe CONTACT SYNC in FB & Twitter was tripling my contact storage needs- a huge memory hog.
now contact storage has a beach body- super small.

Last edited:

ezrider55

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V30
How to ?

Can you post a how to on how to turn it of ?

funkpod

Reaction score
i was having the same problem. had to hard reset, too...

any solution to this? i want pics in my contacts.

E

Emtronics

So, EXACTLY how did you find out you had 455mb in use and How EXACTLY did you set the settings for Facebook? Glad you fixed your problem but this info would be useful to others here.

funkpod

Reaction score
hmm...i think htc told me that version 1.3.2 of the facebook app should have fixed this. can anyone confirm or deny this claim?

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score
So, EXACTLY how did you find out you had 455mb in use and How EXACTLY did you set the settings for Facebook? Glad you fixed your problem but this info would be useful to others here.

MEMORY

settings>sd & phone storage
at the bottom of screen= phone memeory

FACEBOOK

I had a problem with the htc friend stream app being too large
so i deleted the account=
settings>accounts & sync
I saw 2 fb accounts here. Don't use friend stream so i deleted it.
all it was doing was getting photos and taking up a lot of memory

My contact storage decreased significantly after deleting the htc fb account.

TWITTER

In the twitter app settings i unchecked contact sync.
PHOTOS
Had to get photos on the phone the old fashioned way- one at a time!
i went to fb on my pc grabbed the photos i wanted for a contact and saved them and put them on contacts.

Although this seems a little tedious it saves memory and only took about 30 mins because i only had about 15-20 photos.

delhess

Reaction score
good work, thanks for the knowledge. i will be turning this option off on fb!

aaron_h

Reaction score
****easy fix****

The problem is the cache is full and needs to be cleared out. *I have hundreds of Apps and that is NOT the problem. *
Here is how you clear out the cache and this sorts out the problem:
From the home screen > Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications
Wait for all the icons of your Apps to appear then touch the Running Tab at the top
Click Menu then Sort by Size (the largest apps will appear at the top)
Select each app and then CLEAR DATA.
Till clear your cache and solve the "Low on Space" problem. *The biggest cache users are your email apps.

dancedroid

windstrings

Reaction score
Have you tried to install the app "app 2 SD"?

many apps can run from the sd card and it knows which ones can.

It will also assess all your cache and offer a one button delete to clear the cache's of all the apps at once.

I have 7 pages of apps and still have 583mb free of internal memory.
Tip... don't allow "live screensavers" to be ran from sd... they need to load "before" the sd card loads.

MonaT

Reaction score
Great tip on the app 2 sd, windstrings. It's the only thing that worked on my Motorola Droid. Thanks! P.S. I think you get the cheese :)

Last edited:

windstrings

Reaction score
Great tip on the app 2 sd, windstrings. It's the only thing that worked on my Motorola Droid. Thanks! P.S. I think you get the cheese :)

Your welcome!.....
its combined function of allowing you to delete your cache also helps as so many folks don't want the tedious chore of searching through each and everyone of their apps to see what has cache that needs clearing... this just gets it all in one shot!

Mikey1969

Reaction score
I would pretty much recommend cutting off your hand before using this approach. Sorry, that's just the facts. I just did the 'Clear Data' fix(Not 'Clear Cache'), and as a result, I have lost all of the settings I created for my email, and my home screen launcher. 'Clear Data' throws away ALL settings for the app you choose, so unless it is backed up somewhere, you have to start over on those apps.

If nothing else will work, then by all means, use this, you don't lose the actual emails and stuff, but you DO have to go through alot of configuration stuff, all over again. No disrespect for the previous poster, I just want to make sure everyone is forewarned.

hotdog12

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I kinda suspected Facebook was the problem. I shut that sucker down, too.

Sent from DInc

strakerc

Reaction score
Solution

For me, it was Firefox. Uninstalled it and the error went away. I think a factory reset is way unnecessary. Just start deleting apps one by one to figure out which is the culprit and then reinstall the others.