Reporting back from 4.1.2

NeverdelSol

Reaction score
Sideload updated it from the link on droid-life, since my OTA download failed like nearly everyone else's.

It's nice! The scrolling for everything is definitely smoother now. Project Butter worked out for our phones!

Other finds, there are some Moto apps that aren't there anymore. No more My Files, My Music, My etc. It seems to been consolidated into Motocast? Weird little thing, the "Dual Core Technology" is gone from the boot logo also. Other than some very subtle image changes, the homescreen GUI looks unchanged. I'm running Nova on top, so I'm not saying much other than it's BUTTER!

I can't report much on battery life, I flashed at 50% so I'm going to FoxKat it tonight. I also didn't FDR, so I'll see if there are any issues there. I also kept root using VooDoo Rootkeeper, no issues there.

Overall, HUGE improvement so far. dancedroid

mooch91

Reaction score
Am I the only one who can't get WiFi to work since update?

the3dolla

Reaction score
I never got an update prompt, so I downloaded and installed via the first link to the OTA. Ikept root via bookkeeper from gb to ics,but it seems I missed a step and lost it here. I press restore root and I t says it's restored but it doesn't work,anything I can do? I just use it for ad blocking so no biggie, hotspot still works so that's good.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Am I the only one who can't get WiFi to work since update?

I don't believe so. There are others, but I wouldn't be too surprised if the reason is the Wireless Router's older protocols, rather than the new OS. First go to your router's manufacturer's website and try to download and install the most current version of the router's firmware. In some cases WIFI problems are completely cured that way. Another solution is to replace the router since newer technology is now very inexpensive and that has fixed all WIFI compatibility problems for some who've reported issues after updates. It may also be that the phone's WIFI settings need to be reset.

OP
NeverdelSol

NeverdelSol

Reaction score
I'm not having any Wifi issues. After the update it automagically connected back to my router, not broadcasting the SSID even.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The age of the router has a lot to do with compatibility of the newer protocols. How old is yours, what model and manufacturer, and what firmware? This will help others.

OP
NeverdelSol

NeverdelSol

Reaction score
True! Mine's fairly new. It's a Belkin N750 DB running 1.10.16 firmware. (Latest version.)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I never got an update prompt, so I downloaded and installed via the first link to the OTA. Ikept root via bookkeeper from gb to ics,but it seems I missed a step and lost it here. I press restore root and I t says it's restored but it doesn't work,anything I can do? I just use it for ad blocking so no biggie, hotspot still works so that's good.

At this point, it's purely up in the air as to whether any of the known working methods to root the earlier versions of Android will work with the new Jelly Bean you just installed. There may be a way to go back, but I can't be sure. I believe that Jelly Bean is an overlay to Ice Cream Sandwich, and so if that is true rolling back to the latest version of ICS may be possible. You will want to research and make sure before attempting ANY flashing of earlier ROMs into your phone, since once it's done - if it fails, you're on your own. There is NO FASTBOOT file for this ROM (YET), so you will likely be left without a working phone if flashing an earlier ROM soft-bricks it.

mooch91

Reaction score
The age of the router has a lot to do with compatibility of the newer protocols. How old is yours, what model and manufacturer, and what firmware? This will help others.

Probably the issue. I was at my parents house on DSL. It was fine moments before on ics. Now that I'm back at home on FiOS its fine.

mooch91

Reaction score
Tinkering (worst timing to get this update - Christmas!), I'm trying to figure out the following with the new version:
  • Where's "My Music" or the internal music player? Can't seem to find it anywhere.
  • How do I access my DLNA content off my DLNA server? Used to be in "My Gallery" or "My Music".
  • Why do I have two sets of pictures when I open up the gallery? I don't actually see two sets when I explore the files on the phone or the card.

Raydee35

Reaction score
I honestly think they pulled the update for a reason. I am betting they found some problems that they will sort out in the next couple days. They will more than ikely re-release the update again after that.

OP
NeverdelSol

NeverdelSol

Reaction score
I was sort of missing the Music app, but I started using Google Music instead. As far as the gallery goes, I use Quickpic anyway.

Brostrom4

Reaction score
I haven't found anything wrong with my update. Battery life seems way improved, and its buttery smooth. Nothing yet that is bad, although i've heard some people having random problems

OP
NeverdelSol

NeverdelSol

Reaction score
Though I have noticed.. I don't think Google Now is actually in the build. Can anyone else verify?

EDIT: I forgot I had Google Search disabled. It's definitely here now!

Keelar

Reaction score
The only issue I'm having so far is my phone will not rotate the screen to landscape when I'm trying to watch a video in full screen. Besides this one issue it seems very smooth and better than ICS.