Report: Samsung Galaxy S II Not Making Its Way to Verizon

Reaction score
I think it's funny that the first rumor is VZW will get it first... now the rumor is VZW WON'T get it lol

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it's funny that the first rumor is VZW will get it first... now the rumor is VZW WON'T get it lol

I was thinking the same thing. That's why it sucks to post rumors, but unfortunately, they sometimes turn into "scoops" so we gotta post em.

This really seems crazy, but I suppose it sorta makes sense in a... well... thinking... <scratches head>

Nope I can only come up with... "What were you thinking VZW? The SGS2 has been the hottest selling Android ever! (based upon sheer numbers in short a time-frame)" This seems dumb.

neoj2

Reaction score
damn i was really waiting to get this phone. ill just wait to see what samsung says tomorrow. hoping its just with the "S2" name and it turning out to be the stratosphere.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Wonder if its because how locked down Verizon wants their phones and Samsung not wanting it to be so locked down.

Vito.a

Reaction score
I was looking forward to this phone.
I suspect they could not fit LTE in and Verizon said no thanks.

magdream

Reaction score
I imagine it's because the LTE radio wouldn't fit into the SII form factor, therefore, it couldn't be called an SII phone. If the alternate phone is basically identical spec wise, than its's really just semantics.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The 2nd generation LTE radio is not thick. It's in the thinnest part of the Bionic, the chin, so I really doubt that is the reason they didn't choose to go with the SGSII.

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
The 2nd generation LTE radio is not thick. It's in the thinnest part of the Bionic, the chin, so I really doubt that is the reason they didn't choose to go with the SGSII.

I am thinking that Verizon said no because the GS2 would have been the only phone without 4G out of all the carriers.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe Verizon would say, "No we don't want the fastest selling phone outside of the US." because they couldn't fit their LTE chip in it. Each carrier has altered their version of the SGSII and if Verizon asked Samsung to modify the form so they could include the new LTE chip they would have.

All I'm suggesting is, to assume it only was because the LTE chip was too big has no basis.

magdream

Reaction score

Maybe, but it looks like the Bionic's thinnest, is still thicker than the SII. Of course this is only based on pics so it's difficult to say for certain. Plus, I'm too lazy to look up the dims for each.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Most likely Verizon knows something we don't, probably that they have a more advance Samsung device coming out within the same amount of time that they'd had been able to get the SGSII out so they scraped the idea.

EFGantry

Reaction score
I can see how you wouldn't want to carry the SGS2 and the Prime because of the similarities... but why would Verizon be the only ones to pick up on that? Might they be getting the prime first?

that's exactly how i'm interpreting it.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well...one less phone to make my decision easier...lol

My thing is when you start changing the form factor...how can it be a Galaxy S 2? One of its selling points, marketing words is how thin it is. How can you put a keyboard on it and still call it a Galaxy S 2? Unless its the thinnest smartphone with a keyboard.

If they do one with a keyboard and call it a GS2, they can make it thicker to fit LTE if needed and call it a GS2 too. I am curious about how thick the lip is on the Bionic since it holds the LTE antenna.

EFGantry

Reaction score
if vzw is going to something so seemingly dumb as to pass on the hottest android phone on the planet, what could be the reason?? i can come up with several reasons, none of which make much sense to me. the only thing that does make sense is that the Prime will be released on VZW first, it will be released in the next 2-3 months, it is a Sammy device, and it's specs are similar to, but better, than the GS2 (LTE, better screen, newer OS). if that's not the reason, then it's because vzw is dumb...