Replacing Droid with old phone ?

casedilla

Reaction score
Hi,

I dropped my Droid in water this morning and am fairly certain it's fried (though I am trying the rice trick right now). My mom and I are on a Verizon plan that's tied together ("family plan"). She is eligible for a 2yr contract renewal upgrade, and therefore can purchase a Droid for $100. I am not and will not be for another 14 months, and therefore it would be full price for me.

So, what I am looking to do is have my mom upgrade to a Droid, switch numbers with me, and she can activate a simple flip phone to the number my Droid used to be on (she has no desire for a smartphone or anything). My only question is - since I agreed to a 2yr contract with Droid, do I have to continue to pay for the same amount of texts, minutes, data plan, etc. as I did with the Droid, even though it's now only a flip phone? Would I essentially have to pay for 2 Droid plans? Or can I lower the plan on my old number (my mom's new number) to less minutes and texts than I had on Droid?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just ask Verizon to replace your Droid with the new Droid, and reactivate the flip phone on your mom's line. Easy peasy, they do it all the time.

OP
C

casedilla

Reaction score
Just ask Verizon to replace your Droid with the new Droid, and reactivate the flip phone on your mom's line. Easy peasy, they do it all the time.
And I'll be able to get the $100 2yr renewal price on my line even though it's only eligible on my mom's?

fenriswolf039

Reaction score
I've used my upgrade credit for my son's phone before, I just told VZW what I wanted and they were glad to sell the phone. They don't care what line you activate the equipment on.

kristoff125

Reaction score
I always use credits on other people's lines, since they are happy with their phones, and I'm the tech loving one in the family.