replacement for handcent

royta

Reaction score
I've been using Handcent since my first Android phone in 2009, the original Moto Droid. I have been becoming less enthusiastic about it lately, especially since moving on from my Droid X2 to a Galaxy S3 on Monday.

The group messaging on the stock GS3 app just plain works. Handcent is unreliable at best. Unfortunately the stock app has a 20 recipient limit on both MMS (group) or SMS (multi-recipient individual) texts. I text to a 30+ recipient group on a several day per week basis. Handcent works awesome at sending to this many in the individual SMS format.

Handcent does an awesome job with the delivery verification/confirmation.

Handcent often hiccups on splitting messages into 160 character texts. My last fiasco shown here, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2439493, split a message to 31 recipients into five 67 character texts. 155 texts? Geez Handcent! Get it right! It's a good thing I have unlimited texts, but I feel bad for any of the recipients who didn't.

So, I'm looking for a messaging app that doesn't have a limit on the number of recipients and doesn't screw up the 160 character breakdown when sending texts as SMS to multiple recipients. I don't want any of those apps that the recipient also needs the app for free messaging. That's just added fluff that is of no real benefit to me.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I too made the jump from Handcent, I tried a bunch but two that really stuck out to me were ChompSMS and GoSMS. I'm currently using GoSMS and have been the past few months, not a hiccup.

OP
R

royta

Reaction score
It's a shame chompsms doesn't do MMS group texts (chat), only SMS group texts.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2