remove sprecovery- neccesary? how>

rogueleader

Reaction score
I have sprecovery installed on my phone. That is as far as I ever went in the rooting process. My phone is not rooted, it does not have any custom ROM's etc. The only step I took was installing sprecovery. Will having sprecovery alone prevent me from receiving OTA froyo when it comes out? If so how do I remove sprecovery? I found lots of threads about going back to stock but they all assume that the user is rooted. All I want to do is remove sprecovery (that is if I need too). Thanks!

cnmsales

Reaction score
If your not rooted I would think you would be able to still recieve OTA updates.

My I ask why you didnt go ahead and finish the process?

brando56894

Reaction score
Technically you are rooted but you dont have the SU binary ;-) AFAIK having a custom recovery flashed will stop you from receiving OTA updates, but I may be wrong. You may be able to flash the original recovery from sprecovery but idk where you would get the image from. The only sure fire way I know how to remove it is to flash the stock 2.0.1 SBF.

Droidfish

Reaction score
SP recovery indeed blocks all OTAs. That is why when flash any update.zip in SP Recovery you have to select "allow update.zip" prior to installing it. If you want the update you will want to flash the original recovery image.

Droidfish

Reaction score
Brando's method is the only one I can think although hopefully someone can chime in with an easier method(not that this one is that hard)

Put the stock 2.01 image in the root of your SD card, flash with sprecovery, and once you boot up your phone go into settings>about phone>system updates and that should find the stock 2.1 update and download it to your phone. You might want to look into ways to preserve data prior to doing any of this though. Precious Data!

AnotherAndroidKid

Reaction score
Hey everybody. Where would we find this 2.0.1 stock file?

Edit to add, the stock on in rom manager is giving me errors when i try to run it so I am unable to go back to stock at this time. I don't know if i want to go back or not, but I'd like to have the ability.

Last edited: