Remove Skype Mobile Without Rooting?

akjordan

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a Moto Droid 2 and have been having some performance issues that I seem to have traced back to the Skype mobile application. Is there a way to remove it or disable it from automatically starting without rooting my phone?

I know there are a bunch of you out there that will say it's not doing any harm, but I'm having a lot of bugs that I've traced back to this app, and ONLY this app via a task killer application. Everything from screen lag to not being able to answer my phone right away when people call. If Skype is running, everything lags. If I kill Skype, everything works fine.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'd put my money on the task killer and not skype. To answer your question though, unless you have the option in the market to "uninstall" skype, your gonna have to root it or live with it.

OP
A

akjordan

Reaction score
Dang. Well, I'll try uninstalling the task killer and see if that works.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Post the results if you don't mind. That way if anyone else goes hunting for a solution... here it is :)

OP
A

akjordan

Reaction score
Oh yea I will definitely. Going to give it a few days to see if there's any correlation...

OB1J3D1

Reaction score
Can't uninstall skype? Not from the market? not from settings applications?

I don't get it.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It's called bloatware man. Like IE to Windows.. gotta do some magic to uninstall it. An d in the case of Android, that magic is called root.

OP
A

akjordan

Reaction score
Well now that I've uninstalled the task killer app, I haven't really had a problem answering my phone, but I'm still having issues with contact info showing up. The whole contacts section of my phone has always been buggy tho, so they're probably unrelated problems.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
what's wrong with your contacts?

Glad to see you got the phone part working :)

OP
A

akjordan

Reaction score
The phone will ring, and I can answer it, but the contact information won't show up all the time. Almost every call just shows the person's number, and I don't have anyone's number memorized anymore, so I never know who I'm about to be talking to. I've read through a lot of threads on the issue, but there doesn't seem to be a simple solution. The more recently I've contacted someone, the more likely their name is to show up. It must be something to do with the way the Droid pulls the info from my Google contacts.

As far as just looking through my contacts, it lags like crazy... If someone asks me to look up a number, it's nearly impossible. I'll go to my contacts, try to type in the person's name, and it either doesn't show or takes forever... Not to mention I still haven't figured out how to copy & paste a phone number to send to someone...

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well, since you haven't rooted your phone I would say take it to Verizon and let them deal with it. To me, since the same person may show up once and then not the next time and your contacts lag when just looking at them, I would say that when it lags, it can't get the info to the phone fast enough for it to display it. I.e. phone.apk asks contacts.apk for the info but contacts.apk does not respond with the info so phone.apk just shows the number.

That would bother me to no end. I ould either root the phone and reinstall contacts.apk or take it to Verizon and have them reflash the phone for you.

Lord High Warlock

Reaction score
I've run across similar issues with my contacts, and it's all related to formatting the phone number. I noticed it specifically with my daughter's phone.

When I synced with Outlook, my numbers where in the format of (xxx)yyy-zzzz. And, if you add them via Verizon's website for your contacts, it's the same way.

However, when you enter a contact manually, the format is xxx-yyy-zzzz. This is how I had my daughter's number entered, and it wouldn't recognize her number at all. It displayed it as xxxyyyzzzz. What I had to do was add the latter to her contact info (after she called, and I didn't answer, because you can't do it manually), and delete the entry I had made.

And now it's in there as xxxyyyzzzz, and works perfectly. Obviously, Verizon has some issues with this. Too bad it isn't anything consistent...I've not run into it with any other number.

OP
A

akjordan

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if I seem to have trouble in the future.

Everything seems to be working much better now that I don't have the phone trying to pull 2000ish contacts from facebook. I just had to clear everything out so it would sync only with my Google contacts, and it seems to be working fine now. I'll check on the formatting thing if I have any issues, but the people who seem to call the most must have their numbers in the proper format or something.