Remote Desktop Apps?

Luxferro

Reaction score
Will I be able to connect to my pc in sleep mode? Then authenticate as a user on that workstation?

if your computer is in sleep mode it will need physical prompt, like pushing the power button, to 'wake up'. no remote access program will do that for you.

if you leave your computer powered up, but lock the desktop which requires authentication to unlock it, then phonemypc will not work in it's current version. in this case you're better off with one of the rdp apps that can connect to your computer and allow you to log in using windows credentials.

You can wake up a sleeping computer with WOL (wake on lan). You just need to set up your computer properly to wake from magic packets.

A quick search on the market showed some WOL apps.

Last edited:

BzB

Reaction score
You can wake up a sleeping computer with WOL (wake on lan). You just need to set up your computer properly to wake from magic packets.

A quick search on the market showed some WOL apps.

you're right. wol exist and you also need to enable the functionality on the local nic if it supports it. in the interest of simplicity and brevity i left that part out.

plus it kind of defeats the purpose of putting the computer to 'sleep' anyway. i really don't see the benefit of sleep over locking the desktop, especially if you need remote access. i guess it's user preference.

fitzaubrey

Reaction score
Man any chance of getting a step by step on this PhoneMyPC program for the Motorola Droid, Im reading this thread and see Ive got a long way to go on the learning curve, been stuck on a Blackberry to long so Im lost.

So am I correct in saying if I want to connect with my Droid to my home computer and add MP3 files or anything else to my droid PhoneMyPC will do this for me?

Im sure a step by step from one of you geniuses would be appreciated by many to come! :)

Also what are the security issues if any?
Try the same work-around that works in logmein -- open your email application on your home computer, then mail yourself the file(s) you want to transfer to an email account that you can access from your Droid.

MJ5150

Reaction score
I really wanted to use the PhoneMyPC app, but there is no gaurantee I can keep my PC logged in and unlocked all day when I am away from home. I am a network engineer by day, so setting up VNC was no biggie.

This app sounds great all around, especially for the simplicity which is great for network challenged people.

-Mike

datguybk

Reaction score
I just bought this after watching a video and was really impressed, I showed it to my iphone loving friend and blew her mind too haha. I just want to know if there's a right click function on the droid?:heart::motdroidhoriz:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just bought this after watching a video and was really impressed, I showed it to my iphone loving friend and blew her mind too haha. I just want to know if there's a right click function on the droid?:heart::motdroidhoriz:

with PhoneMyPC.... bring up the cursor mode and 'long press' over the icon or what not and it will 'right click'!

bastosero

Reaction score
I just installed android-vnc, and I must say that I'm a bit disappointed with it. It does connect pretty well, but the problem is some things do not show up on my Motorola Droid screen. I still use Windows XP on my computer at home. Also, I use Window Blinds for my preferred theme on my computer. The problem is some of the menus do not appear on my phone when I use VNC. If I right click on something, it just doesnt's show up the menu which really sucks. My widgets (Yahoo! Widgets) on my computer do not show up when I use VNC either. Does PhoneMyPC have this problem also?

Reaction score
@bastosero,

So far, I've never seen something on my PC that I don't also see on the phone using PhoneMyPC.

However, we have had a couple of reports of things that don't show up (obscure things that I cannot remember at the moment). The fact is, PhoneMyPC gets its screen data from Windows, but some programs draw directly to the screen using the video card via DirectX or OpenGL.

One good example is the video output of a media player while watching a DVD. By default this is displayed directly on the screen in an "overlay" provided by the video card. PhoneMyPC cannot see that. However, you can almost always fix it by simply turning off "Hardware Acceleration" in the media program, and you won't notice a performance difference on today's PC's.

A great test is this:
1) Take a screen snapshot of your PC using [Ctrl] + [Print Screen]
2) Paste this into MS Paint

Whatever you see there, you'll see in PhoneMyPC.

The best test however is to just buy it and give it a try. Remember, if it's not what you're looking for, just go back to the PhoneMyPC page in the Android market and click "Uninstall and refund" within 24 hours, and you'll never be charged.

If you decide to give it a try, let us know what you think. If it's good, we'd like to hear it. If it's bad, then we REALLY want to hear it so we can figure out how to make it better.

bastosero

Reaction score
@bastosero,

So far, I've never seen something on my PC that I don't also see on the phone using PhoneMyPC.

However, we have had a couple of reports of things that don't show up (obscure things that I cannot remember at the moment). The fact is, PhoneMyPC gets its screen data from Windows, but some programs draw directly to the screen using the video card via DirectX or OpenGL.

One good example is the video output of a media player while watching a DVD. By default this is displayed directly on the screen in an "overlay" provided by the video card. PhoneMyPC cannot see that. However, you can almost always fix it by simply turning off "Hardware Acceleration" in the media program, and you won't notice a performance difference on today's PC's.

A great test is this:
1) Take a screen snapshot of your PC using [Ctrl] + [Print Screen]
2) Paste this into MS Paint

Whatever you see there, you'll see in PhoneMyPC.

The best test however is to just buy it and give it a try. Remember, if it's not what you're looking for, just go back to the PhoneMyPC page in the Android market and click "Uninstall and refund" within 24 hours, and you'll never be charged.

If you decide to give it a try, let us know what you think. If it's good, we'd like to hear it. If it's bad, then we REALLY want to hear it so we can figure out how to make it better.

Yeah, I might just give it a try and see how it looks on it.

Reaction score
@lumpysherman,

Sure. Any VNC will work with Mac, and there are RDP servers you can put on a Mac so the many RDP clients in the market may work with a Mac.

Google "VNC for Mac" and "RDP for Mac" and have a look. Then search the Android market for VNC or RDP and check out the clients.

I haven't used many of these Android products and cannot attest to their features or quality, nor whether they have taken any steps to be Mac compatible, but I know it should technically be possible.

We will eventually have a PhoneMyPC for Mac, but it is a long ways off.

KeepinItWettt

Reaction score
Unlock computer?

I bought PhoneMyPc, and so far I really like it except for one thing: I can't figure out a way to unlock my computer. This is important, because I obviously can't leave my work computer unlocked overnight. I've tried using the actions, but the actions won't even lock the computer (rundll32 user32.dll,LockWorkStation). I can lock the computer using Mod Keys, but theres no Crtl+alt+del option. Is this possible using a .bat file? I really like the application but I might have to uninstall and get a refund if I can't get it to unlock.

Reaction score
@KeepinItWettt,

PhoneMyPC cannot unlock or login to a PC at this time.

This is our last [major] feature before we end the Beta. We've had code working in the lab since September, but kept getting stalled on the productization by bugs in the already-deployed software, as well as complexities in the installation on all supported OSes.

Other than [probably one more] bug-fixing release, this will be our next major release, and we're dedicated to getting this done soon. We've pushed sound, file transfer, anti-piracy measures and a whole bunch of stuff off the table until this is done.

So, if you decide to refund, feel free to drop us an email and we'll notify you when it's available and stable.