Remote Desktop/DynDNS with droid

wils0645

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I just bought the Remote Desktop app and I am having trouble setting up my home computer/router/droid.

I setup a hostname with dyndns.com: *******.is-a-geek.com

I also installed the updater for when my ip changes

I know my computers external and internal ip address

I setup my home router for port forwarding, 3389 to my home comps internal ip

As for the Remote Desktop app, what would I put under "Address" and "Domain"?

I put my hostname *********.is-a-geek.com as my address for the app, is this correct? Do I have to put anything under domain?

Any ideas? BTW, I do have remote connection enabled for my comp.

dimaj

Reaction score
Couple of things:
1) Is your computer set up to accept incoming remote desktop requests? If you don't know how to check, post your windows version and I'll give you step-by-step instructions on how to check it.
2) When you said that you are setting port-forwarding on your router, what is your incoming port? 3389? Is it forwarding it to 3389 to the computer of your choice?
3) Make sure that computer you are trying to connect to hasn't changed its IP address. Sometimes routers like to give you a new IP address after your lease expires.
4) Make sure that your domain name points to your external IP. Sometimes it could take a while for your forwarding to take place. To check that, do a ping on your domain name and make sure that it matches IP address of your router (WAN port)
5) Just to be on a safe side, when connecting try explicitly specifying port number (e.g. *******.is-a-geek.com:3389)

Let me know if it worked.

dimaj

OP
W

wils0645

Reaction score
Couple of things:
1) Is your computer set up to accept incoming remote desktop requests? If you don't know how to check, post your windows version and I'll give you step-by-step instructions on how to check it.
2) When you said that you are setting port-forwarding on your router, what is your incoming port? 3389? Is it forwarding it to 3389 to the computer of your choice?
3) Make sure that computer you are trying to connect to hasn't changed its IP address. Sometimes routers like to give you a new IP address after your lease expires.
4) Make sure that your domain name points to your external IP. Sometimes it could take a while for your forwarding to take place. To check that, do a ping on your domain name and make sure that it matches IP address of your router (WAN port)
5) Just to be on a safe side, when connecting try explicitly specifying port number (e.g. *******.is-a-geek.com:3389)

Let me know if it worked.

dimaj

Thanks for the response.
#1- Yes, it is set up
#2- I followed the setup on this website, so 3389 for both ports to my internal ip (computer of choice) (192.****) http://http://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/configure-router-for-remote-desktop/
#3- Supposedly my domain ******.-is-a-geek.com with dyndns software installed on my laptop is supposed to take care of it if my ip changes from the ISP
#4- I'm not sure how to do this...any help?
#5- Specifying the port number did not help with the connection

dimaj

Reaction score
Of course!

#3) True, but that should take care of the domain name resolution up to your router. Your router should take on the job of forwarding packets to a specific local IP (192.168.x.y)
#4) open up cmd and type in: "ping <your domain name>" (no quotes). Make sure that you are getting responses and that IP address which is resolved matches the one that your ISP is providing you with.

How about another test... get your external IP address (the one which is given to you by your ISP) and try using it instead of your domain name.
Also, can you remote desktop into your computer from any other computer in your house?

dimaj

CatsTide

Reaction score
holy cow...i bought a desktop controller and it was like....click click....it's working

OP
W

wils0645

Reaction score
Of course!

#3) True, but that should take care of the domain name resolution up to your router. Your router should take on the job of forwarding packets to a specific local IP (192.168.x.y)
#4) open up cmd and type in: "ping <your domain name>" (no quotes). Make sure that you are getting responses and that IP address which is resolved matches the one that your ISP is providing you with.

How about another test... get your external IP address (the one which is given to you by your ISP) and try using it instead of your domain name.
Also, can you remote desktop into your computer from any other computer in your house?

dimaj

#3, I set up DHCP reservations on my dlink router so the IP should stay the same.
#4, I pinged my domain name and I got responses and the IP address matches my ISP.

External IP didn't work.

I can't connect remotely to my computer. Don't know what's going on...I have remote access turned on on my comp. I have port forwarding setup for my router. Frustrating, probably some small detail that I forgot.

OP
W

wils0645

Reaction score
I got it. Windows firewall was blocking remote desktop. Knew it was something small like that. Thanks for your help dimaj.