Regular phones intentionally look lame now

estilo

Reaction score
Anyone else notice this? Couldn't justify $30 a month of data I rarely used. I have a computer for email. I recently sold my eris on ebay, and went back to my Black razr2. Well, the razr2 broke last week. So, now, I'm left with regular phones that wouldn't even impress the biggest nerds.

EVERY current regular phone has intentionally been made to look lame. They could easily design a non-smartphone with a keyboard like the Samsung Alias, except made to look cool.

I understand I'm in the minority here, but the way I see it, if you pay for a data plan, you are just giving them free money in a down economy. Just what Verizon wants.

30 x 12 = $360

I personally would not give anyone $360 for no reason. I understand for some people it's essential to be able to check email and reply instantly at any given time. Smartphones have intentionally been made to "require" a data plan, when it could have been engineered to NOT require one, and just use wi-fi when it's available, which is basically everywhere given it's 2011, and the US is not sub-saharan Africa.

I think it's sad that a stylish dumbphone can't be found anywhere. Verizon knows it would hurt their profits, lol.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately everything is moving to smartphone technology. I find it hard to even think of going back to a dumb-phone. The features and capabilities of today's smart phones and tablets allows me to not even pull out my laptop for days. Carrying around my X and Xoom is less cumbersome than a laptop.

REMilk

Reaction score
Anyone else notice this? Couldn't justify $30 a month of data I rarely used. I have a computer for email. I recently sold my eris on ebay, and went back to my Black razr2. Well, the razr2 broke last week. So, now, I'm left with regular phones that wouldn't even impress the biggest nerds.

EVERY current regular phone has intentionally been made to look lame. They could easily design a non-smartphone with a keyboard like the Samsung Alias, except made to look cool.

I understand I'm in the minority here, but the way I see it, if you pay for a data plan, you are just giving them free money in a down economy. Just what Verizon wants.

30 x 12 = $360

I personally would not give anyone $360 for no reason. I understand for some people it's essential to be able to check email and reply instantly at any given time. Smartphones have intentionally been made to "require" a data plan, when it could have been engineered to NOT require one, and just use wi-fi when it's available, which is basically everywhere given it's 2011, and the US is not sub-saharan Africa.

I think it's sad that a stylish dumbphone can't be found anywhere. Verizon knows it would hurt their profits, lol.

I can see your point of view as you prefer to separate the functionality of "cell phone" and for lack of a better term on my part, "the computer."

I can see where this is appealing to a percentage of people. They have a computer at home and do not need or desire a smartphone.

I am not sure what you mean by the current crop of 'cell phones' look lame when compared to the smart phone. If you are talking about touch screen capability, then I see your view. There seem to be several phones on the Verizon Wireless Web site, under Basic Phones, that have both good looks and capability.

I really question is, since you want a basic cell phone that is limited to just placing and receiving calls, what cost-justifiable features/form can the manufacturer make? You fault Verizon, but Verizon is dependent on the manufacturers, take your issue up with them.

Natey2

Reaction score
Many companies reimburse the cost of the monthly fee if the employee uses the phone for work e.g. pickup corporate e-mail, etc.
The monthly fee could be twice what it is now, and the employees wouldn't care.
The Carriers love those customers, and charge them more for a Corporate Data Plan, which is basically your "Unlimited" Data Plan but costs $10 more per month.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

30 x 12 = $360

I agree. That and the quality if feature phones suck from Verizon. I went with my dad to help him pick out a phone and was amazed how cheap quality everything is now and how much they charge for those crappy phones.

2.5 years ago, when I first got a phone, the phones were a decent quality and for around $50 w/ 2yr contract, you could get a nice phone. Now you're looking at $100+ to get a phone that will last over a year with normal use.

I had an LG Cosmos when it first came out because that's when they switched to the mandatory $10 data plan. It was the worst phone I ever owned or seen. I let my dad have it when he broke his phone and he hated it worse than I did. I actually got a discount for 6 months because the VZW rep felt sorry for me and all the issues I had with it

ICX

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Yes the flip phones are not sexy. but there are nice phones with 3.0+ cameras. The Octane is the new Env, the Jest 2 is a slick one with a pull down keyboard, and the new Hotshot from Pantech is all touch which seems to of replaced the Pantech Crux. The Hotshot even comes with a 2GB SD card. The Hotshot is only online at the moment. I am surprised they even show them in stores, lol. I am sure all the phone companies only want you to buy the smartphones! Lol.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes the flip phones are not sexy. but there are nice phones with 3.0+ cameras. The Octane is the new Env, the Jest 2 is a slick one with a pull down keyboard, and the new Hotshot from Pantech is all touch which seems to of replaced the Pantech Crux. The Hotshot even comes with a 2GB SD card. The Hotshot is only online at the moment. I am surprised they even show them in stores, lol. I am sure all the phone companies only want you to buy the smartphones! Lol.

Most of those, if not all, require a multimedia phone data plan for $10...

ICX

Beka27

Reaction score
I didn't have a cell for a long time. Stay-at-home mom, one income, we couldn't justify the added expense. Got myself the EnV2 when I started commuting downtown to school everyday (you know... for "emergencies"). Once that 2-year was up, we both jumped on the DX.

I also could not imagine my life without it right now. It's always within 3 feet of me. Even at home where we have a desktop and two laptops, for evening web browsing, I'm on my phone. It's docked next to my bed at night. First thing I do in the morning before I even get out of bed is glance over emails.

Is it "ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, can't-live-without-it"? No.

Does it feel that way? Yes.

We're all free to spend our cash on what we want. This is something I want.

Edited to add: I'm so enamored by the fuctionality of my phone, we're also strongly considering a wifi tablet in the near future.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed. And also get the tablet, its the first thing I reach for when sitting on the couch (mainly cuz I use it for my remote for my Google TV!)

Beka27

Reaction score
Agreed. And also get the tablet, its the first thing I reach for when sitting on the couch (mainly cuz I use it for my remote for my Google TV!)

Yes... the tablet. We're currently debating which to get, do we wait for the new ones on the horizon and pay top dollar for top o' the line... or wait for the new ones... to take advantage of savings on the older models? Decisions, decisions...

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The new ones mightbe coming with quad core processors but no real time table when. My dual core Xoom is plenty fast and I paid top dollar for it on launch day. You can grab a wifi only for $350 now.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
You can buy a Certified Pre-Owned Xoom with 3g/wifi at VZW.com for $399. Warranty like new for 1 year, and gets the free upgrade to 4g (must send off). I got one and its been great. I have the 4g upgrade, but no 4g where I live yet....lol.

Reaction score
Verizon is offering the xoom and zune for @ 500 with honeycomb and 4g. data plan is only $30 too! its a steal, bro!

Sent from my SHIFTAO5P using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
To be honest, I think it's even easier to justify spending another $30/mo for data now than it ever was. Before, and even now, it is a luxury, but for me it is almost a necessity. Yes I have internet at home along with a laptop, netbook, and tablet, but it's so much easier to pick up my phone is I just need to check a couple of things (e-mail, quick youtube video, or a light browsing session.) It's much easier to pick up my phone which is usually within arms reach than to get up and go to my computer. Plus all these companies know that everyone is "on the go" so opening an app is much easier than opening a browser and going to the actual website. Makes looking up things much easier and definitely less of a hassle.

Considering I am on unlimited data plan and use roughly 2.5-3gb/mo I don't feel as if I'm giving my money away, especially compared to my sibling who uses maybe 300mb at most a month. In face I'm using tether to make this post right now as my modem/router is currently turned off and I'm too lazy to go turn it on:D. Going back to a non-smartphone is almost impossible for me now, I didn't realize I'd use my phone for so many things. I've found myself many times among my family looking things up for them or directions in the middle of trips, it is very handy.

The price of owning a smartphone is certainly not cheap. I can understand why you can't justify spending an extra $30/mo for something you don't use often, but that's why there are still non-smartphones. Glad you found a way to save some money and figured out a plan to your specific needs, but that's what so great about technology, there are options for every different type of user. Unfortunately, ever since smartphone ownership with the D1, I feel disconnected from part of the world when I forget my phone.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To be honest if I had to budget to 30 a month for a phone I would go with a non contract carrier like metro pcs, cricket, or virgin mobile. They have low end smart phones that are pretty nice. Plus if you root it and tweak some stuff, ie overclock.