Refurbed Droid from Big Red is struggling to install any sort of custom rom/kernel

trickrais

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

SO, I ran into trouble a few weeks ago when rooting my OG...I had root access, I could install and use apps that required root. I could get into a custom recovery screen. My problem was that it wouldn't let me install anything from that recovery. I tried Clockwork and SPRecovery interchangeably multiple times! It was like the phone wouldn't register that I had .zip files on the root of the card to install in recovery. I tried using rom manager and downloading roms and that wouldn't work either! The specific message that I keep getting is this:

Installing: SDCARD:/clockworkmod/download/bit.ly/qSYQVT
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
E:Can't open /sdcard/clockworkmod/download/bit.ly/qSYQVT
(No such file or directory)
Installation aborted.

I got this message regardless of the recovery image I was using, if anyone else has had a problem similar to this and knows how to fix it it would be INCREDIBLY appreciated:)

By the way I am on a stock rooted FRG83G rom.

Thanks again!

louy99

Reaction score
Maybe sbfing and starting over will fix it. I had a problem where my OG Droid wouldn't boot in recovery and that fixed it

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you using the "apply update.zip" or install ROM?

Should be update.zip...

OP
T

trickrais

Reaction score
apply update.zip

I've done it so many times before that I am literally dumbfounded with this...I blame it on the refurbed phone aha

louy99

Reaction score
Well, its because your doing it wrong. To install rom/ kernal you choose install zip from SD card

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
T

trickrais

Reaction score
And @louy99 I did try sbf'ing to a fresh FRG83G and starting over and it didn't seem to help:/

OP
T

trickrais

Reaction score
WELL, I tried that as well and it still didn't work...what am I doing wrong now??