Red Lit Pixel and USB Cable Issues (RAZR MAXX)

ragnaroktomorrow

Reaction score
The first time I used my phone in the dark I got really worried about the dark splotches in the screen. Reading up on that trait shows me that its typical, nothing to worry about. However I do have a single lit pixel that stays red all the time near the center of my screen. I only notice it on dark screens like black or dark blue, but it is noticeable even in daylight.

Additionally I've found that the USB cable that came with the phone to charge it is very sensitive. If I plug it in to charge it, and pick the phone up while plugged in, it stops charging. Sometimes it even stops without me picking it up (last night I charged it overnight. Woke up to a half charged phone, no "percent charged" text on the wake-up screen and no battery animation on the notification bar). I've confirmed my old cable (from Droid 1) doesn't have this problem with either of the two AC adaptors, so I'm pretty sure its the cable, not the phone.

I just bought it last Wednesday, should I try getting a replacement or would I risk getting an even worse razr?

xtor

Reaction score
There's already threads on this

my razr's sharper then yours ™

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I don't think the OP was focusing on the screen blotches. The main concerns were the cable failure and the stuck pixel. For the stuck pixel, download and install Pixel Fixer and/or Dead Pixel Detect and Fix. Both have reports of success in resolving stuck pixels. There is no guarantee, but the later works the entire screen. Pixel Fixer is an old app and doesn't cover the entire screen but for your case it may also work fine since your stuck pixel is in the center of the screen and you can move the tool around the screen to the spot that has a problem.

As for the cable, some connectors are better designed than others and make a tighter fit. I hope you have luck in getting the existing one replaced.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
R

ragnaroktomorrow

Reaction score
thx foxkat. I had read that those pixel fixer programs didn't work on amoled screens but I tried it anyway and voila, i can no longer find that pixel so I'm fairly sure its fixed. I care more about that than the cable since I have a backup. Now I know what i thought I was looking at when shopping for tvs and seeing all the "LED" tvs. Looks like OLED tvs haven't gotten big/cheap enough yet.

Thx for the help folks. xtor, how'd you get the splotches to be so pronounced in that image?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
thx foxkat. I had read that those pixel fixer programs didn't work on amoled screens but I tried it anyway and voila, i can no longer find that pixel so I'm fairly sure its fixed. I care more about that than the cable since I have a backup. Now I know what i thought I was looking at when shopping for tvs and seeing all the "LED" tvs. Looks like OLED tvs haven't gotten big/cheap enough yet.

Thx for the help folks. xtor, how'd you get the splotches to be so pronounced in that image?

Well, there's a testimonial for the entire forum! I am thrilled that the tool was successful! I have been witness to plenty of naysayers for a myriad of so-called "home-brew" solutions that actually work. The fact that these displays are operating at the microscopic level of electronics allows the possibility that by pushing them to the limits of their specifications it can either close off an otherwise open path of electrons that wasn't supposed to be, or open up a path that was for some reason by a flaw in manufacture marginally closed.

This will be a reference thread for others who experience your phone's issue and hopefully we'll have more success stories to add to yours! BRAVO!!

dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

The pic shown is - if not the same, very similar to one that has been the "model" example for a SAMOLED Display with the blotches. Again, as you know these marks are almost imperceptible until in only certain and infrequent situations so as a user-experience they are likely not going to contribute negatively. Still, for those with problems as pronounced as that pic, I would certainly err on the side of caution and get the manufacturer to recognize and resolve in your favor.

Best wishes and congratulations again! ;)

universal_cynic

Reaction score
My fiancee and I got in on the BOGO for the MAXX a few weeks ago. Within a few hours of starting up her phone she noticed a pixel that was stuck as white. It was easy to see when scrolling in the black background of the app drawer. Took it in to a Verizon store the next day and got them to send a replacement in like 3 days. Lucky she found it before right away...