Red Eye loop, power + x freezes at ! + phone screen, need help!!!

NoMonitor

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

This is my first post on the droidforums, and I am sure it will not be my last...

I have been avidly searching for a solution to my problem, but I cannot seem to find an answer that personally works ANYWHERE at all.

I have been using this Droid a855 Black (never rooted) phone for a few weeks now, and it has been running great!

The only applications that I ever had installed were "iheartradio", "gmail", "youtube", and of course "market" and other stock apps (including facebook.)

Today while not using the phone, it suddenly reset in my lap and started looping in a "charging red-eye" screen. (would loop that and the DROID logo)

I have tried booting while holding x + power (which I have to remove the battery, hold the buttons, then insert the battery while holding to accomplish,) but even after it gets into the "Triangle + ! and Cell Phone laying down" screen, nothing happens from there... it appears frozen.

IMG_20120606_181907.jpg

I would also like to mention that the Triangle + ! screen is the only thing that will work (have tried volume, etc.)

Any help would be much appreciated, and I am definitely willing to try what you all have to offer.

Pictures of each screen will be uploaded momentarily.

Thanks,
Matthew

BOOT LOOP: [video=youtube;rWD_yPKMoIc]http://youtu.be/rWD_yPKMoIc[/video]

Last edited:
OP
N

NoMonitor

Reaction score
Ahah! Volume up + camera button I see!

Have now cleared the cache and reset the baseband data (not sure what this is.)

Did a full hard (or cold) reset from that menu as well, and I am still sitting at the "charging eye" loop.

OP
N

NoMonitor

Reaction score
Actually, the loop has now ended and the phone now boots!

Would I be better off rooting the phone and flashing to something more stable, or at least a newer version of the droid 1 firmware? There must have been updates by now..

I know there is a lot to learn about these phones, however I would sincerely enjoy learning everything I can about them. What options I have for flashing, what different functionality different firmwares offer, etc.

I am very literate with computers, programming languages ranging from HTML to C#/C++, as well as just about anything mechanical in the world you could throw at me. Guidance is all I need to start out :)

WillisD

Reaction score
In that same menu do a factory data reset should clear that bootloop up

WillisD

Reaction score
Rooting is up to you just read, read, and read on it, sbf'ing is the most dangerous time after that its easy

OP
N

NoMonitor

Reaction score
My real question was if rooting was more stable than a factory operating system (firmware) on the droid.

And yes, thank you very much, I did fix the boot loop as described.

WillisD

Reaction score
It allows for a lot of things that stock doesn't such as overclocking your processor, themes and a whole lot of customization, I'm running a custom gingerbread rom overclocked to 1ghz now and is very stable and really stable so far. The rom is steel droid

WillisD

Reaction score
I'm gonna see if I can link you to the rooting guide, r u on windows or linux?