Droid Incredible stuck at startup and looping

slappy2040

Reaction score
Hi. My incredible was updated to 2.2 last Friday. I have had all kinds of minor issues since then. But, this morning, after draining the battery, the phone will not turn back on completely. After pushing POWER, the HTC screen comes up, then the "Droid" sound, then the "red Eye", then back to the white "HTC" screen....and all over again...and again...and again. Is there any way that I could get the phone back to pass this "looping" action and get to the home screen? I tried holding "volume down" while turning on Power, but not sure where to go from there. After hitting recovery, it just goes to a screen with a red triangle and red exclamation point and hangs. Is there a way to go into SAFE MODE, if there is one? Reason being, I have files on the phone that I need to get at (photos and vids) that were not on saved to SD prior to all this. I talked to Verizon and they are already sending a new Incredible. But, they would not help with anything else. Any help would definitely be appreciated.

moracca

Reaction score
yeah, I actually just did that this morning... I was trying to find a solution that didn't include wiping out all my applications and app data, but I guess its better to have a factory default device than one that wont even turn on

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your apps that were purchased/ downloaded through Market will still be there when you get back up and running. Just make sure your photos and such aren't saved to internal memory (if they're on your SD card you'll be fine).

moracca

Reaction score
I was under the impression they were backed up to the google cloud as well -- sadly after doing the factory reset and logging into my google account, it truly was a factory reset and no applications synced back to my device.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you go into Market, hit the menu button and select Downloads? All paid apps should definitely be there; some free ones might require re-downloading them.

Is your phone at least functional now? That's the most important thing.

moracca

Reaction score
yes, I went into downloads, but all of my apps were free -- maybe thats why they werent there, but I only had the very basic apps that come on the phone, none of the ones I had downloaded.

yes, its functional, and not that big of a deal to get back to where I was... its more like things such as game data and that type of thing. not a huge deal

OP
S

slappy2040

Reaction score
That's great that you were able to do that. My problem was that I had 3 months of photos and videos on the phone storage itself. I know, my fault for not using the SD. Anyway, I had a friend who was able to reset back to 2.1 so that I could get into the phone. Once in, I was able to get all my files off. After reinstalling 2.2, the phone went.back to the looping, I called my carrier and got a replacement phone. I think 2.2 had a problem with the apps I had on the phone. No problems since...and, everything now goes straight to the SD.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

Womantis

Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem as what's described here, and I think going back to 2.1 is what I need to do. I am trying desperately not to have to do a hard reset. Could someone please tell me how to get back to 2.1? Slappy2040, what did your friend do? I appreciate any help. Thanks!

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem as what's described here, and I think going back to 2.1 is what I need to do. I am trying desperately not to have to do a hard reset. Could someone please tell me how to get back to 2.1? Slappy2040, what did your friend do? I appreciate any help. Thanks!

You can't go back to 2.1 but you can do a factory reset to get back to "out-of-the-box" 2.2 condition.

Womantis

Reaction score
You can't go back to 2.1 but you can do a factory reset to get back to "out-of-the-box" 2.2 condition.

Well, there are plenty of threads on the Internet that indicate that going back to 2.1 is possible. However, it looks like a hack-type of thing, and I don't want to get into that.

Frankly, I have some files on the phone that unfortunately aren't on my SD card or computer, and I would like to access them. I know they're still there, but I need the phone to communicate with my computer. I know that a hard reset or a phone replacement is in my future, so I'm not looking for my phone to be perfect without a hard reset. I just want to copy some files before wiping them.

Tech support here seems reluctant to discuss a safe mode or recovery boot, but I believe this is what I should be doing. I can get the phone into recovery mode, but the communication with my computer isn't quite there. A safe mode boot isn't working. Please, does anyone here have information about overriding all optional apps and just getting into the phone's brain (which is what safe mode would do)? Please? I would really appreciate it.

jdshort2010

Reaction score
So, when you plug your phone into your computer via usb - it doesn't connect? Have you tried redownloading the specific drivers?

Womantis

Reaction score
Correct -- it doesn't connect. If I boot in recovery mode, my computer recognizes it as a CD drive but doesn't find any files. Apparently there is a safe mode, but I can't get it to boot into safe mode; I think this would probably be the solution. Other internet threads say that getting it into safe mode requires holding down a few buttons at once, but I think that holding "menu" isn't registering, since it's not a physical button.

My computer found new drivers. But the phone doesn't ever get to a booted-up stage where the computer can find it. The recovery mode is the closest I can get.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET IT INTO SAFE MODE? I would appreciate it.

jdshort2010

Reaction score
I'm not sure how safe mode is going to help you. Maybe someone else can help with you with you're trying to do. Sorry!