Recommended: Extended Battery

blackmagick20

Reaction score
I've had plenty of things replaced by Verizon well outside of 30 days. I know someone who was talking on their phone while charging, the battery overheated, and the battery melted into the phone. This was 5 months after he got it and Verizon replaced it free of charge. My point is that if you're using something like it should be and it malfunctions (proper back cover for proper battery) then it will be replaced by Verizon, regardless of how long you've had it (to a certain extent)

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
BenLand150

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had plenty of things replaced by Verizon well outside of 30 days. I know someone who was talking on their phone while charging, the battery overheated, and the battery melted into the phone. This was 5 months after he got it and Verizon replaced it free of charge. My point is that if you're using something like it should be and it malfunctions (proper back cover for proper battery) then it will be replaced by Verizon, regardless of how long you've had it (to a certain extent)

Well that's fantastic, then. I have proper cover on, and the new battery given to me after making sure that was not the problem. So they already have the battery that I, for only a couple hours too, had the original phone cover on. And either way I'll be sure to check on the battery every so often to make sure it's okay. Most people don't have to many problems with the battery going that bad on them though so I think I'll be fine. If not, hopefully I'll catch it, switch to my old one, then check in with VZW to see if they'll do anything. Less damage done, the more apt they'll be to completely help you out anyway since you were responsible.

eds24

Reaction score
Once the ottercase comes out my plan is to take the stock battery cover and use a scroll saw to cut out a hole where the battery is..this way the otterbox case will fit..but my extended battery will also have room to expand.

tonydelite

Reaction score
If it isn't too much trouble, could you take a picture of the Droid 3 with the stock battery cover, and then the extended battery cover? I'm just trying to see how much bigger it is.

blackmagick20

Reaction score
Once the ottercase comes out my plan is to take the stock battery cover and use a scroll saw to cut out a hole where the battery is..this way the otterbox case will fit..but my extended battery will also have room to expand.

How is this your plan already? There's no actual hard evidence of any Otterbox case for the D3 yet. Why would you cut the stock cover when most likely, the cover that comes with the extended battery will fit in the Otterbox case?

militant

Reaction score

How is this your plan already? There's no actual hard evidence of any Otterbox case for the D3 yet. Why would you cut the stock cover when most likely, the cover that comes with the extended battery will fit in the Otterbox case?

DROID 3 Cases, DROID 3 Commuter Series // OtterBox.com

Probably going to get this when it becomes available. Of course, the commuter series is one of their lowest levels of protection, but I'm not really a fan of the added bulk. I prefer my phone to be caseless, but I'd be willing to deal with the added bulk for an otterbox. Their defender series on the iphone is amazing, but it turns the phone into a cinderblock.

blackmagick20

Reaction score
Alright...that doesn't explain why you would need to cut anything. The extended back cover should fit just fine...like all the other cases

eds24

Reaction score
When asked about whether or not the new Otterbox would fit a droid 3 with an extended battery and cover..Ollie from Otterbox responded,

"Our cases are precision-fit to the device. Any other products that change the dimensions of the device would not be compatible with our cases."

also..

" Our Commuter Series case will not work with your phone if it has an extended battery. Typically, most of our cases are designed to fit devices in their original form."

So knowing that the extended battery and included battery cover do indeed change the dimensions of the Droid 3...the Otterbox may or may not fit.. if it does fit it'll be a very tight fit just like how other cases fit the Droid 3 with the extended battery and cover. This tight fit causes the case to put pressure on the battery cover.. in turn either putting pressure on the battery or causing there to no longer be room for the battery to expand when it gets warm.

According to my calculations..by cutting a hole the size of the battery in stock cover this will allow me to use the extended battery and still allow Otterbox to fit properly and still provide a small amount of room in between the case and the battery so the battery can expand when warm.

OP
BenLand150

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly, not all cases fit with the extended battery back. Just because some fit, doesn't mean all do. I had to take my old case back and find one that fits with the new cover.

eds24

Reaction score
Yep exactly...I have the Blue cover from verzion..and it fits but its a very tight fit and I'm afraid that it is causing my battery to put pressure on the internals of the phone when it gets warm.

fred114

Reaction score
Aside from the case issue, are you guys seeing significant battery life improvement with the extended battery. Wife and I just got ours Monday and I am really surprised at just how short the battery life is with the stock one. I did a factory reset(trying to solve the wifi issue) on my phone last night. So far today, seems battery is lasting a bit longer.(wifi still won't connect though). I consider us somewhat light users, certainly not power users. My wife plays some simple games and has many alarms set. I just normally check emails and tweets, battery was only lasting about 5 hours until I was in the red.

Advice is appreciated.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Aside from the case issue, are you guys seeing significant battery life improvement with the extended battery. Wife and I just got ours Monday and I am really surprised at just how short the battery life is with the stock one. I did a factory reset(trying to solve the wifi issue) on my phone last night. So far today, seems battery is lasting a bit longer.(wifi still won't connect though). I consider us somewhat light users, certainly not power users. My wife plays some simple games and has many alarms set. I just normally check emails and tweets, battery was only lasting about 5 hours until I was in the red.

Advice is appreciated.

Did you run the battery all the way down until phone shuts off and then charge it all the way up without interruption? Do this once every month or two.

When you do the one time charge you may want to charge with the phone off if possible and you may want to leave it on the charger for at least 3 hours even though it says 100%. I'm not sure how necessary these steps are but this would be a very thorough way to go about the calibration.

Oh, and in addition to once/month or so this is necessary if you get a new battery, do a factory reset, get an OS update, and anything else that may screw with the phone's understanding of the battery's capacity and/or current state.

Last edited:

MzKeishaBaby

Reaction score
This is what I did and im getting good battery life, I let my battery run all the way down, then I charged it till it was 100% with the phone off. I then unplugged the charger from phone powered the phone on, then plugged the charger back in and let the phone charge for another hour and a half.

bw13

Reaction score

Did you turn off the Global Roaming and set it to CDMA only?? The phone comes with GSM turned on (Verizon shouldn't do this) and that uses up the battery searching for a signal it will never find.