Recommended: Extended Battery

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So, hearing all this good stuff about the Droid 3 extended battery and my stock one not being good, at all(today I went to Jiu Jitsu from 8-9:10 with 100% battery, came back to my phone 70% battery), I went to the Verizon Store immediately after finally being fed up with the stock and purchased an extended battery.

The battery was 50 bucks, plus 25% off with a work discount which brought it back to about 37bucks, then 41.08 after tax. I put it in, not much extra bulk, and noticed it had 5% battery left.

I got home and put a movie on, The Dark Knight, while I watched TV to let the battery run dry since it only had 5% left.. well, it got through the whole movie! Not only that, as I am typing, I currently have Avatar on and it's an hour and 30minutes through already, still not dead. My old battery would have died in 10minutes probably without even using it.

If the battery is like this from 100%, then it was a damn good buy! I definitely recommend you guys purchase this thing if you're having any problems with short life from your stock one.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
The extended battery usually comes with 40 to 60% charge... so if you were seeing 5% it was probly wrong... just not calibrated yet... this extend battery is really good but it's only like 30% or so better than the stock one... the stock one was pretty damn good too... so now, instead of 8 hours heavy use.. i'm getting over 11 hours heavy..

I had Tuesday and Wednesday with light use and the damn thing lasted 48 hours before charging again... freekin unreal

Last edited:
OP
BenLand150

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The extended battery usually comes with 40 to 60% charge... so if you were seeing 5% it was probly wrong... just not calibrated yet... this extend battery is really good but it's only 30% better than the stock one... the stock one was pretty damn good too... so now, instead of 8 hours heavy use.. i'm getting over 11 hours heavy..

I had Tuesday and Wednesday with light use and the damn thing lasted 48 hours before charging again... freekin unreal
I was a bit skeptical considering the guy said it should come with about half charge, but, it didn't show up that way. So, that could make sense.

But yeah either way, so far so good. 11hours heavy use is AWESOME. The longest my stock lasted was a little over 10hrs light use.. which was just.. not good. It got worse as days went by, too.

And 48hrs is awesome, man. I was reading on the "battery life" thread people posting the same as you with mod-light use, with 5-10% charge left before finally deciding to charge. Sounded like and exaggeration to me, but not so much now.

jpblock82

Reaction score
You should always charge a battery fully until you use it. Batteries used in our phones and laptops need to "learn" how to be a good battery... so always do a full charge, then drain it till it dies. Do this a few times and you will get the most out of your lithium ion batteries... just sayin..

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

jpblock82

Reaction score
Wait?? So they give you a new battery cover with the extended battery, but the original battery cover also works with the extended battery???

blackmagick20

Reaction score
It actually is supposed to only be used with the new cover. Yes, the stock cover fits with the new battery, but it doesn't fit properly. I've been told by a good friend that works for Verizon that the cover that comes with the battery is slightly bigger, allowing the proper space for the battery to expand when it warms up. I have bought the extended battery and definitely noticed a difference in the fit of the two covers. Even though the extended cover is slightly bigger, it does still work with all the cases and docks that the stock one does. It even says so right on the box.

OP
BenLand150

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually, the last part is false. I am now using the extended battery just to be safe, but my case no longer fits, I purchased it at Verizon when I bought the phone. Maybe some cases still fit, but not guaranteed.

@Jpblock - I did that, but still, battery life wasn't the greatest.

blackmagick20

Reaction score
Well...I know the the Verizon store I go to had a hard case, a gel case, and the hard case/holster combo. I tried all 3 and the phone fit perfectly with the extended battery and extended back case. I purchased the case/holster combo. This phone fit in every case my Verizon store had for it...I watched it happen

OP
BenLand150

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well...I know the the Verizon store I go to had a hard case, a gel case, and the hard case/holster combo. I tried all 3 and the phone fit perfectly with the extended battery and extended back case. I purchased the case/holster combo. This phone fit in every case my Verizon store had for it...I watched it happen

I assure you, it doesn't fit. I watched it happen as well.. considering I own it. The little "latches" or whatever that hook to the keyboard part don't latch on cause with the cover, it can't reach.
Pictures for proof. :)

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

Now, with the normal one it fits.
IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

So.. yeah, not just blowing smoke here.

Last edited:

blackmagick20

Reaction score
I haven't seen that case at my Verizon store. I do know that if the extended battery or phone does become damaged due to squeezing it in the stock case, which doesn't alow it to expand when it heats up, Verizon won't replace it for you. It will be at your own cost for whatever is damaged.

OP
BenLand150

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen that case at my Verizon store. I do know that if the extended battery or phone does become damaged due to squeezing it in the stock case, which doesn't alow it to expand when it heats up, Verizon won't replace it for you. It will be at your own cost for whatever is damaged.

Haha, what? The extended battery isn't damaged at all.. I took it to verizon a couple of hours ago, it's all good. Brand new. And yes, Verizon said if something went wrong with it or it's no better then the old one, there's 30 days to replace it. Besides, the "not expanding" thing would not effect the size for the cover.. lol. The cover is a little bigger so if it DOES expand, it still fits in. If it were to be that it doesn't expand, well then the cover isn't going to move anyway. But ya, don't believe, call em up and ask. The case just flat out does not fit, so I got a new one that does. :)

Last edited:

blackmagick20

Reaction score
Ok...I'll explain this slowly...when batteries heat up and get hot, they expand. It's a law of nature. If you were to put the stock back cover on, which doesn't properly fit the extended battery and you're talking on the phone with it plugged in or intensively gaming on it...whatever could possibly be taxing the battery heavily...I will expand. If said expansion were to damage something...could happen tomorrow...could happen 4 months from now...then you would be responsible for the damages, and not Verizon to replace your phone/battery

OP
BenLand150

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok...I'll explain this slowly...when batteries heat up and get hot, they expand. It's a law of nature. If you were to put the stock back cover on, which doesn't properly fit the extended battery and you're talking on the phone with it plugged in or intensively gaming on it...whatever could possibly be taxing the battery heavily...I will expand. If said expansion were to damage something...could happen tomorrow...could happen 4 months from now...then you would be responsible for the damages, and not Verizon to replace your phone/battery

I understood that.

If it happens outside of 30days, Verizon won't take it back anyway and I'd buy a new one if it got ruined. But within 30days, let me explain this, I talked the VZW rep and he said if I have any problems with the battery or, if it's no better then the old battery, within 30days, I can return it. So if it happened in 4months, yeah, Verizon isn't going to do anything about it. Within 30days, they would.

I'm saying, my battery and case were not messed up, that was not the result of the case not fitting. Expanded battery or not, the extended battery cover is going to be the same size. The reason it is bigger is so if the battery does expand, it still fits in there fine. So either way, my case was not going to fit on. When I went this morning, we tested this out with a new case and battery. Same issue. But my new case doesn't have that problem now.

I don't see where the confusion came in on my first response to you? It simply didn't fit. You yourself said you didn't see the case I had, so therefore you couldn't test it, and therefore, it could have been the one case that would not fit had you had the chance to test it out.