Recommendations for a Droid X car charger - LONG CORD

LiquidBreadMan

Reaction score
The real issue is the amperage. You can certainly "charge" your phone with any USB car charger that puts out 5 volts and at least .5 amps, but if the charger doesn't put out at least .85 amps, then the battery will continue to drain if you're using the phone while it's plugged in (especially if you're using the GPS).

I've been looking around for a good 1 amp USB charger. They're actually pretty tough to find. I had one for my old LG Dare, but it introduces a ton of noise if I'm listening to music while it's plugged in.

Has anyone here had success with the RocketFish charger? Or any other charger?

The easiest way to check whether your charger is spitting out enough amps is to check the battery status (Settings > Phone Info > Battery). If it says it's charging over USB then it's less than .85 amps. It should say it's charging over AC.

jeoje

Reaction score
There are some 2.1 Amp USB chargers out there if you want to future-proof yourself + ensure you have enough power. There are plenty out there that claim 1A but don't necessarily provide that much.

Search for the Scosche Revive II(I have this one on order) or the Griffin Powerjolt 2.1A. Both claim they will not damage lower power devices. They likely have ICs to limit the current.

Then you just have to buy a USB to Micro USB cable in whatever length you prefer.

Kandiru

Reaction score
Alltel_v9_Car_Gallery.jpg

Longest cord out there. Also it charges the phone well while radio or navi on, meaning it likely outputs in excess of 800 mAh. Super low profile, so 6MT shifting without knuckle bumps, and blue light at bottom
is nice. Very classy and discreet if you have a predominantly black interior.

$6 well worth it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/OEM-Alltel-Micr...pter-Charger-/140432116933?pt=PDA_Accessories

My personal advice based on experiences with Scosche's iPod digital adn Bluefusion adapters
is RUN AWAY when you see that logo, nothing but trouble.

In tune with RickCunn's post, my longest trip with this charger streaming A2DP BT internet radio
non-stop was 2 hours, 100% batt at trip end, charger was barely lukewarm to touch at end.

RickCunn

Reaction score
Griffin verified the pins on the charger I have, and that the device is a charger only (pins 2/3 shorted), and not a charger/data device. They also verified the unit is rated at 1 amp. When I left San Diego yesterday the battery was almost depleted, so I put it on the charger. My wife drove so I played a lot and used the GPS continually and listened to music. By the time we got to Tucson, 6.5 hours later, it was about 50% charged. I think the device is fine for my needs.