Rebooting and screen staying off due to otterbox?

jasot217

Reaction score
Two things. My phone will randomly reboot when navigating and streaming, or downloading and playing podcast. Turns off then reboots. Updated per Verizon last week, still happening.
Next, I have my incredible is in a otterbox defender. In the last six weeks after I am done with a call and remove it from my ear, the screen dosent come back on, can't hang up. As soon as I take the front of the otterbox off, screen comes back on.

Any ideas?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

ak585479

Reaction score
Not sure but as far as the Otterbox Defender I'm having the same issue where the screen wont come back on. I don't even use the case anymore because of it which sucks.

OP
J

jasot217

Reaction score
Two things I have learned since I posted. 1. The rebooting issue was called "scrolling" (per the tech person at verizon). They have replaced my incredible. New phone has no issues.
2. GET RID OF THE OTTERBOX! The otterbox defender ruins the proximity sensor in the incredible. I was fortunate enough to be in the verizon store, and they were clearencing out a increidble holster and winshield mount for $10. I have been using this and have had zero issues with the screen being blank when I take the phone away from my ear. the manager at verizon said otterbox does the same thing to the Iphone white (whatever that is). Hope this helps.

ak585479

Reaction score
Glad to hear it. I'm kinda upset I spent $25 on the Otter box but I'd rather have my phone work.
Thanks

mtjtc4

Reaction score
I was having the same problem. At first I thought it was the phone until I took the otterbox off. I inspected the otterbox and found that where the hole is for the sensor was filled with dust tricking the phone into thinking that it was still up against my ear. after using a dry q-tip, i gently wiped it clean. I put it back together and havn't had a problem since.

WookieFan

Reaction score
I was having the same problem. At first I thought it was the phone until I took the otterbox off. I inspected the otterbox and found that where the hole is for the sensor was filled with dust tricking the phone into thinking that it was still up against my ear. after using a dry q-tip, i gently wiped it clean. I put it back together and havn't had a problem since.

I would agree with this. I swear by my Otterbox Defender. But lint and dust do clog the sensor areas. If you clean the case periodically, you should have no trouble.

An additional note: the screen protector (the most important part, to me) is not adhesive, whichis wacky to me - definitely causes more missed input. Additionally, the case makes it nearly impossible to enter text in portrait mode. Still, it is a super-solid case and I am glad I have it.

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk