Reasons to root?

lizm

Reaction score
I'm a fairly new Incredible owner, less than a month.

I see a lot of discussion about rooting but it appears all threads assume the user wants to root and are about how to do it or fixing issues.

My question: Can someone please give me their reasons for wanting to root this phone? What is gained?

Thanks!!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Because all the cool kids do it. :D

IMHO I would wait on rooting a while if I were you. It does open up doors for all kinds of new things, like overclocking and installing custom ROMs but the Incredible is still in the infancy stage of rooting. Let somebody else do it for a while then maybe you can take it up later.

OP
lizm

lizm

Reaction score
overclocking and installing custom ROMs

Forgive my ignorance but what is overclocking and are ROMs just themes, of a sort?

(I've been a web/dbase developer for 14 years but smart phone lingo is completely new to me!)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
overclocking and installing custom ROMs

Forgive my ignorance but what is overclocking and are ROMs just themes, of a sort?

(I've been a web/dbase developer for 14 years but smart phone lingo is completely new to me!)

No it's more then themes. That's part of it but many people have different themes with their custom ROM. I guess the best way to describe it would be to compare it to a change in the operating system Customizing it so to speak. While I'm rooted and running 2.2. That is my ROM. You on the other hand are stock and running 2.1 that is your ROM.

Overclocking is when you speed your processor up. Let's say your running at 550 mghz. With overclocking and depending on your processor you can run it much faster. Quicker speed, smoother operation.

Forgive me if my explanation on custom ROMs is a bit weak, I don't really use them so my own knowledge on how they work exactly is a bit limited.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Yeah a ROM is like switching from Windows on your computer to a variation of Linux, Its a whole new operating system, Most of the stuff you see, will look the same but themed, but much of the underlying system files have been edited/slimmed down/speed increased etc.

OP
lizm

lizm

Reaction score
Ah, thank you. I'm not as familiar with Unix as I should be and that's what's running these phones is it not?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ah, thank you. I'm not as familiar with Unix as I should be and that's what's running these phones is it not?

It's Linux, very similar to Unix.

Think of rooting this way; some people buy a new car and keep it stock, while others want to tinker under the hood or make changes to the sound system or the interior.

dbenavides

Reaction score
So what do I have to do to Root my new Incredible if I want to use as a wireless hotspot?

jasonb

Reaction score
being able to delete the bull **** City ID app was enough reason for me to root. i rooted mine the day root was discovered for the Inc. at first when i got the phone i had no intention of rooting it, but very quickly missed wifi tether and hated the stupid City ID app. i mean an expired app that still runs on the phone 100% of the time? that's just lame.

OP
lizm

lizm

Reaction score
So PDANet will not work as a wifi hotspot unless I root? I installed it but haven't played with it yet.

That would be a good reason to root, I suppose.

jasonb

Reaction score
So PDANet will not work as a wifi hotspot unless I root? I installed it but haven't played with it yet.

That would be a good reason to root, I suppose.

it's not PDA net. it's a whole different app entirely.