Really? No lock screen functionality?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
We're not operating the phone from the lock screen. We are just getting a preview of what we've missed since we last used the device. If you want to SMS, email, or call someone, you still unlock the phone. But you shouldn't have to unlock the screen and pull down the shade just to see if you missed an important call, meeting, email, etc. A preview of those items is useful.

You dont have to unlock and pull down the shade, that is what the configurable LED is for..another of those Idont's. Oh look mine is blinking right now, its blinking blue so that means I've missed a text. You are gonna like this feature of your Droid and Im sure the functions you want will come in time, but I couldnt live without the LED since owning a Blackberry....every phone should have this.
Hmm. Well I sure have a tough time reading the subject line of an email, seeing who I missed a call from, or previewing a text message from that LED. :)

I agree the LED is nice - definitely one of the things the iPhone should have had the day it was introduced. But we're talking about the ability to see previews of emails, missed calls, calendar events, etc. - going beyond the function of the LED.

Can you wear this out anymore?

OP
K

kenkamm

Reaction score
Blacknblack, if you're frustrated by the exchange here, you don't have to read the thread anymore. I'm not "wearing anything out." I'm simply explaining what I'm looking for. If you think the droid can't be improved and don't want to hear about some of the things other droid users might be interested in, that's fine.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Blacknblack, if you're frustrated by the exchange here, you don't have to read the thread anymore. I'm not "wearing anything out." I'm simply explaining what I'm looking for. If you think the droid can't be improved and don't want to hear about some of the things other droid users might be interested in, that's fine.

It's not that at all.......

sir2545

Reaction score
I dont know how all that lock screen functionality works, I never had an oportunity to jailbreak my Iphone, but would you have to unlock the phone to reply to those emails( you said you can only preview the subject line) and texts, and returning a call. If you have to unlock I really wouldnt think its worth it, but if not, that would be pretty cool, and hope we see this sooner than later on the Droid

OP
K

kenkamm

Reaction score
I've just downloaded the full version of Executive Assistant and have been playing with it for a while. It definitely has some of the functionality I'm looking for!

Unfortunately it has one bad behavior... it allows you to reach the home screen without requiring the swipe at all... which means it would be possible to make calls accidentally if the phone was in your pocket. When the screen is locked, a press of the home button brings up the Executive Assistant lock screen. But if you then press the home button the screen will fully unlock and you're at the home screen. This is dangerous. The "Lock Info" app on the iPhone presents the information on the lock screen, but doesn't delete the swipe. So if you hit the unlock button, you'll see all your missed calls, emails, etc., and then the swipe is right there if you want to unlock fully and use the phone.

I'm still experimenting with the different settings on Executive Assistant. Maybe there's something there I haven't discovered yet.

OP
K

kenkamm

Reaction score

It's not that at all.......
OK, well maybe I misunderstood what you were getting at. If so, I apologize. :)

OP
K

kenkamm

Reaction score
I dont know how all that lock screen functionality works, I never had an oportunity to jailbreak my Iphone, but would you have to unlock the phone to reply to those emails( you said you can only preview the subject line) and texts, and returning a call. If you have to unlock I really wouldnt think its worth it, but if not, that would be pretty cool, and hope we see this sooner than later on the Droid
Yes, you do still need to unlock the phone to send emails for that particular application, but there are others that allow you to reply to emails and SMS without unlocking the screen. I personally prefer to unlock and go to the full email, SMS, etc application if I want to respond, because if a screen unlock isn't even required, then it becomes possible to make "pocket calls" which can be an issue.

The iPhone app I refer to shows you a preview of each missed notification. The key here is, you can see enough of it to determine whether or not you need to act on it. Click the button, review your alerts, (and see the weather if you want), swipe to unlock if you see anything important. Otherwise just click the lock button again and put the phone back into your pocket.

The security of the lock screen is still there but the notification preview information is presented. It would be like an app that would allow a droid user to see what's behind the window shade without having to unlock the screen and pull it down. That's really all I ask.

sir2545

Reaction score
Word....I was just checkin out that Executive Assistant app too, looks pretty cool, might have to get that one

johfiner

Reaction score
Well I don't know of any app that does all of these things, but Handcent SMS will display your texts on top of the lock screen (it's called the "popup" feature, I can't remember if it's on by default, I tried it out and disabled it because I didn't like it). So I'd assume the other features you want will be available eventually.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
For the OP: Try Flyscreen. It addresses a lot of what you're frustrated with. I tried it out for a day or two, but I felt like it wasn't ready for prime time on my phone yet. That was a few weeks ago, so it might be better by now.

I agree with the OP in that we should have the option to have full control of the notification panel / media player from the lock screen, minus the "clear" button...kind of a "read-only" mode. This way, on the off chance that your screen does go active while in your pocket, none of your notifications can be deleted.

OP
K

kenkamm

Reaction score
I'm afraid I'm going to have to delete Executive Assistant. It's just not smart to be able to unlock the phone without needing the swipe gesture. The unlock pattern can be used to prevent the home or back buttons from allowing access from the lock screen to the home screen, however I find that pattern thing really annoying to use, especially when coupled with Executive Assistant. When the pattern unlock is enabled, one must click the top button to wake the screen, then touch the home or back button at the bottom, then draw the pattern. Too much of a pain. Just personal preference.

Flyscreen seems too buggy based on reviews of it. :eek:

gabeevans88

Reaction score
flyscreen

There is an app for that....its called Flyscreen, I found it earlier today, Though im sure it has been mentioned here already.

Appventive

Reaction score
Hi All,
I just recently discovered this forum. I'm the developer for Executive Assistant (http://www.appventive.com/executive-assistant). To those who have given it a try, thanks! I very much appreciate the feedback. Regarding the slide lock thing, that's in the works, though it may be another week or two before its ready.

However, by the end of this week, expect some more customization options, including a Twitter option.

I love getting feedback from users. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] or post your suggestions/feedback here.

All the best,
Steve

OP
K

kenkamm

Reaction score
Hi All,
I just recently discovered this forum. I'm the developer for Executive Assistant (Executive Assistant (Appventive)). To those who have given it a try, thanks! I very much appreciate the feedback. Regarding the slide lock thing, that's in the works, though it may be another week or two before its ready.

However, by the end of this week, expect some more customization options, including a Twitter option.

I love getting feedback from users. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] or post your suggestions/feedback here.

All the best,
Steve
Steve, cool to see you here. I sent you an email a couple of hours ago with some comments and questions. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Ken

Appventive

Reaction score
Hi Ken,
I replied to your earlier email, but since I haven't heard back from you, I wonder if the replies got stuck in your spam folder? If you didn't get my email, you may want to check there.

Anyway, I just posted an update that allows some more customization: hide the reader tab if you're not using it, add a Twitter tab, plus a new 4x3 widget option.

More "unlock options" in the next week or two.

Cheers,
Steve