Razr vs Razr Maxx?

ballzdeap

Reaction score
I got my Razr about two weeks before the Maxx got announced. I can typically get a 9-10 hour day out of my Razr with conservative use, that number decreases drastically if I use it for any extended period of time, whether its reading a book or watching a video. I'm far from unhappy with the phone so far, but I'm wondering if its worth getting a Maxx off of eBay or something? Is the battery really that much better? That's literally the only difference between the two phones, right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

adampalooza

Reaction score
Well, after following FoxKat's advice with battery care- I just had my maxx off the charger for 41 hours with light/moderate use. I started off with some heavy surfing/forum browsing and an hour of netflix (half on wifi and half on 3g [no 4g here]) but then trickled down into just text messaging and facebooking and still some surfing/forums. I will say the majority of that was standby and I did avoid some use after the battery dropped below 25% (but that didn't even hit until the evening of the second day) as I was trying to stretch it out to 15% to be charged overnight. This phone with heavy use would easily get you through an entire day and then some.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
yes the phones are identical except for the battery... and it's twice the size (well pretty close), so you're going to get, roughly, twice the life...

OP
ballzdeap

ballzdeap

Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the feedback. Pretty easy to make a decision at this point.

OP
ballzdeap

ballzdeap

Reaction score
If you're technically inclined, there's a conversion kit coming out at the end of April to convert the Og Razr to a Maxx using original Motorola parts for around a hundred bucks. There's a thread over at Droidrzr trying to gauge interest for a group discount.
The kit will be available from Cellphone Repair Shop; Verizon Motorola Droid Razr Battery Conversion Kit To Droid RAZR MAXX

Its tempting, but how technically inclined would one have to be to safely do this? As long as its just a basic disassemble/assemble, I would think I could do it...

gling

Reaction score
There's a number of articles and videos documenting the Razr tear down and although it doesn't look all that difficult, there's always the chance you'll end up with an expensive paper weight. And it goes without saying that you'll void your warranty. That being said, I'll probably jump on board as soon as I see the results of others and instructional videos after the kit is released.

[video=youtube;78gJRP8NzRA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78gJRP8NzRA&feature=email"]Motorola Droid RAZR Takeapart, Teardown & Repair Directions | DirectFix[/video]

mr2nr

Reaction score
I was on the fence as well but I only had an early upgrade available this month or would have to wait till August. But that wasn't feesable as my wife crunched her old phone and needed a new one now so I got the RAZR and she has my X. The MAXX wasn't in stock and was 100$ more. If I waited till August I could have got it for 200$ less online :(.

Unless you have unlimited funds I would stick with the razor.