RAZR root - wireless tether issue

l337sponge

Reaction score
This was posted on Droid-life earlier. Tested it out on my buddies Razr to see if it worked. It works flawlessly and take about 2 minutes. Tested out Wireless tether, and happened upon something interesting. Wireless tether starts and you can connect to the hotspot. However the phone recognizes what you are trying to do and makes you allow tethering through that program. Not sure if then Verizon can see what your doing and charges you, or whatever but ya thought I would point that out.

*directions*
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/11/how-to-root-the-motorola-droid-razr/

View attachment 42449View attachment 42450

breedingh8

Reaction score
im sorry Long day wheres the tethering instuctions?

This was posted on Droid-life earlier. Tested it out on my buddies Razr to see if it worked. It works flawlessly and take about 2 minutes. Tested out Wireless tether, and happened upon something interesting. Wireless tether starts and you can connect to the hotspot. However the phone recognizes what you are trying to do and makes you allow tethering through that program. Not sure if then Verizon can see what your doing and charges you, or whatever but ya thought I would point that out.

*directions*
How to: Root the Motorola DROID RAZR – Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

View attachment 42449View attachment 42450

motcher41

Reaction score
just shoot this to your phone

android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

I was told over on XDA-developers that 3.1 pre101 works. Set it to motorola tegra profile and turn on wifi encryption. Tried it and it works great.

The mobile hotspot program may still pop-up, but you can ignore it and still gain internet access.

I use 3.1beta-6 as a generic profile and they havent caught it yet. other profiles i tried came up with a window popup on my comp screen saying call 611 o activate

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

breedingh8

Reaction score
Reaction score
I found a way getting Wireless Tether to work at full speed

I use 3.1beta-6 as a generic profile and they havent caught it yet. other profiles i tried came up with a window popup on my comp screen saying call 611 o activate

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Using the 3.1 pre101 and using profile Motorola Targa. For some reason, they use the same int file which I found weird because Targa and Razr use a different chipset. I could be wrong but anyways it works. But to play on the safe side i have installed PDANet, PDANet Tablet, Barnacle, Wireless Tether and Easy Tether.

Heres link:

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list

Oaklands

Reaction score
I tried it. If I used Targa mode, my thrive never saw the network. If I used auto, then I could never get an IP. I wonder why mine will not work with it?

Reaction score

I tried it. If I used Targa mode, my thrive never saw the network. If I used auto, then I could never get an IP. I wonder why mine will not work with it?

What version are you using on Wireless Tether, check by going into the app, hit the menu and hit about. from there check if you says 3.1 beta 6 or 3.1 pre101/pre101.

The 3.1 beta6 has some errors on the Razr.

Let me know what you got and the specific setting you have.
Ill post my setting right now.

Reaction score
My Droid Razr Wireless Tether setup PERFECT

What Wireless Tether are you using. Open Wireless Tether, hit menu, go to About, check your version.
If your on 3.1beta6, it wont work, idk why but just wont, no matter what setting or editing.

Heres my specific set up to get mine running to get my Transformer, Asus laptop, my PS3 and Xbox 360 to see my phone and connect to it

Step 1. Go to this link via your phone and download this version of Wireless Tether,

wifi_tether_v3_1-pre101.apk - android-wifi-tether - WiFi Tether for Root Users 3.1-pre101 *** EXPERIMENTAL *** - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

Step 2. install it, duh!

Step 3. Go into settings and follow this down to the letter,

Change Device Profile-Motorola Targa
Change Setup-Method-Dont touch
Enable Wifi-Encryption-This is a must because with out it, no device will not see your SSID, have to manual enter them ie. laptop to connect.
Change Passphrase-Has to be at least 13 letters/numbers. By default it was setup with abcdefghijklk. Either keep it like that or change it.
Change SSID-Change to what ever you want it to be
Change Channel-I had a couple of my friends try different setting and seems to work but for best results use "Channel 06(2437)"

DO NOT ENABLE ACCESS-CONTROL- very buggy, sometimes you'll see your SSID but nO password attached, meaning its an open wifi even though its not.

Everything else leave them alone, if you want, unless you like the vibrate feature....

Now from here back out from from Wireless Tether and go back, Someone said that you might need to force close the app via app manager. I didnt have to but try and see if that helps. From there you should see the app start with your data usage at the bottom. Next go to anything that can get WIFI. I used my laptop, my Transformer, and my Xbox. Works fine with no problem. The only thing i have problems is that the Razr 4G drains battery like crazy. Ill post up a vid on it today after I get out of work. Grave yard sucks....

Last edited:

Oaklands

Reaction score
What version are you using on Wireless Tether, check by going into the app, hit the menu and hit about. from there check if you says 3.1 beta 6 or 3.1 pre101/pre101.

The 3.1 beta6 has some errors on the Razr.

Let me know what you got and the specific setting you have.
Ill post my setting right now.

I had the encryption disabled. That fixed it. Thank you much for the help.