Razr reveiw vs 4s... what a joke

cptrazr

Reaction score
Have you used an iPhone as your primary phone before? There is only ONE way to do anything. You want to delete an app? Press and hold and click the x. You want to buy a song? Go to iTunes and download it. It's such a controlled environment that the user has no choice but to do things the right way.

With Android there are a multitude of ways to accomplish the same task. Want to delete an app? Depends on what version of Android your running, then do you use a 3rd party app or built in uninstall. Wanna play a song? Which app do you use? Battery not lasting as long as you'd like? There are thousands of modifications you can make to tailor fit your experience.

I don't think anyone can legitimately argue that iOS is not a more controlled environment where Apple forces you to complete tasks the way they want you to. With the iPhone you get 1 experience. Whether or not it's a good one? Like I said before, it's preferencial.

Zandar

Reaction score
That still doesn't mean the iPhone is simpler; just more limited. I'll take your points and explain.
Want to delete an app on your RAZR? Press and hold in the app drawer. Sure, there are other ways; but this is the same simplicity. The user doesn't need to know the other ways.
Want to buy a song? Pick one way and stick with it. Google Music, for example. Never use anything else; just as simple as iOS (and right there in the Market, just like iTunes).

My point is, you will get only one experience from Android if you don't go and find others. But, if you ever want more out of your handset, that's there, too. There's nothing about iOS that's innately simpler than Android. I've had family members curse iOS because they couldn't figure something out or they ran into an issue. My brother in law, an Apple faithful, frequently has to help family members utilise their iOS devices. I help out on the Android end, too, so I'm not saying iOS is broken compared to Android; just that it's false to say iOS is simpler. iOS can be simpler if you really use the functionality of your Android, but Android can be just as simple as iOS.

cptrazr

Reaction score
That still doesn't mean the iPhone is simpler; just more limited. I'll take your points and explain.
Want to delete an app on your RAZR? Press and hold in the app drawer. Sure, there are other ways; but this is the same simplicity. The user doesn't need to know the other ways.
Want to buy a song? Pick one way and stick with it. Google Music, for example. Never use anything else; just as simple as iOS (and right there in the Market, just like iTunes).

My point is, you will get only one experience from Android if you don't go and find others. But, if you ever want more out of your handset, that's there, too. There's nothing about iOS that's innately simpler than Android. I've had family members curse iOS because they couldn't figure something out or they ran into an issue. My brother in law, an Apple faithful, frequently has to help family members utilise their iOS devices. I help out on the Android end, too, so I'm not saying iOS is broken compared to Android; just that it's false to say iOS is simpler. iOS can be simpler if you really use the functionality of your Android, but Android can be just as simple as iOS.

Interesting, my experience has been the opposite. I have had friends and family in their 60's and 70's with NO prior tech background take to the iPhone flawlessly. There are no submenus or finders to go through. Everything is right there on the screen and there is only one button for them to hit and it only does 1 thing.

You're correct in saying it's more limited, agreed. Using both phones on a daily basis, I've recognized first hand that there are more creative and helpful ways to do things on my RAZR, and there are more direct and reliable ways to do things on the iPhone. There is a reason the iPhone outsells any other phone, it appeals to the masses.

Personally I agree with the CNET review, the RAZR has greater capabilities and is a more advanced phone. But I would still recommend the iPhone to my Mom or Grandma over any Android phone.

Zandar

Reaction score
Interesting, my experience has been the opposite. I have had friends and family in their 60's and 70's with NO prior tech background take to the iPhone flawlessly. There are no submenus or finders to go through. Everything is right there on the screen and there is only one button for them to hit and it only does 1 thing.

You're correct in saying it's more limited, agreed. Using both phones on a daily basis, I've recognized first hand that there are more creative and helpful ways to do things on my RAZR, and there are more direct and reliable ways to do things on the iPhone. There is a reason the iPhone outsells any other phone, it appeals to the masses.

Personally I agree with the CNET review, the RAZR has greater capabilities and is a more advanced phone. But I would still recommend the iPhone to my Mom or Grandma over any Android phone.
Well, I would suppose our sample sizes are far too small to be statistically significant. My Mom had a really tough time learning her iPhone and my sister had a tough time learning her iPod, but that same sister took to her Droid Incredible like a fish to water. My wife is a complete non-techie, but she took to her Droid and GTab wonderfully. iOS has the mass appeal because it's the "it" phone right now; I don't think the necessary corollary is that iOS is easier than Android. That's a possible inference based on iPhone's sales vs. any other, single handset, but one could logically draw the exact same inference from Android's market dominance over iOS. Both conclusions would be lacking due to the huge amount of factors affecting smartphone sales.

Bottom line: I have never seen anything to make me think that iOS is simpler than Android can be out of the box. I really believe that widespread iPod ownership is the real reason people find the iPhone easy to use.

eric.scheman

Reaction score
The only people i've see saying the RAZR sucks are probably 21, still living at home, and making videos on the computer their parents bought them.

Lol I live with my parents and am 22 but I love my razr. I only deal with android devices

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
It is weird. The razr not having a removable battery and the GN not having a microSD card slot are seen as negative. While the iPhone never had this stuff and it's not counted.

Though, one could say that the iPhone would never ever have those features. So complaining about them is like beating a dead horse. While both Moto/Samsung/Google really had no reason to not include it.

Icyhot1966

Reaction score
I find this post interesting because CNET, one of the BIGGEST reviewers raves about the RAZR and gives it a higher rating than the iPhone 4S.

I own both, and when people ask me which is better I ask them what they want to get out of their phone. If they're a technical person and have 4G coverage in their area I go with Android. If they like a minimalistic look and want an easy-to-operate phone I steer them towards the iPhone 4S. One thing I can't argue is the iPhone 4S' camera puts the RAZR's to shame.

Android has done a great job tightening up their OS that now it's really preferencial and either is a great phone.

Well said. I can respect someone who owns both. I own both. I laugh when Apple haters call it an "itty bitty" screen. It's crystal clear. Period. Major pluses to both phones. iPhone has the best music player on the planet. Android has the best Navigation. 4S has the superior camera, Android (out of box) offers more customization. It all depends on what EACH INDIVIDUAL wants. There is no loser. But my RAZR does lag periodically. My 4S does not. But to everyone on this thread who has bashed Apple, I challenge you to actually own an iPhone for an extended period of time before passing judgement. I'm not talking about playing with your wives, neighbors or even your dogs iPhone. I mean YOURS. And to the fella with the tricked out gaming PC, I'll say I will never own another Windows computer. Go buy a Mac and you'll see why.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
It's not just iPhone reviews, a month or so ago, someone put together a Rezound vs Razr reveiw.
Even though the Rezound won nearly every round, spec wise, they gave the Razr the win.
WTF? I like both phones and keep changing my mind on which one I'll get, but the Rezound to me is a better phone.

It just 'shows to go ya' no matter where ever to go, there you are.
We all bring our preconceptions and prejudice to any device review.
That's why I read every review I can find, and then play with the device top makeup my own mind.

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
I think for the massses the iphone 4s is probably better..most people just want a phone that works.The iphone does that well,my fiance loves hers,she tried android,it just wasnt for her...her iphone never lags or freezes,or requires a reboot for no reason..I wish I could say the same about android... The razr is wide too,an iphone is so much easier to hold and text or browse with one hand...However for those who want the latest greatest available,are tech savvy,want open platform,and value high speeds 4g, and all the customization the Razr is the clear winner,the HDMI out,file sharing and available docks,lapdocks,and mounts only add to the advantage to those who want them....Iphone..one phone,one choice,no options,and boring....but very stable,and reliable....

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I agree with nearly all of what's been said here, since the people commenting here are really trying to take a non-biased approach to reasoning. One very important thing that does set the iPhone and iPods apart from the rest is that there is only one manufacturer and only one standard to deal with when developing either software or, perhaps even more importantly hardware accessories.

Just look at how many third party manufacturers make iPod and iPhone docks that provide a myriad of functionality from speakers to full blown home entertainment devices. Just a short stroll through a Best Buy, Walmart or other electronics department and seeing the plethora of apparatus designed to work with the iPhones and iPods is enough to make me want to scream discrimination.

Unfortunately, it's far less expensive and therefore far more profitable for a manufacturer for example to design, engineer and manufacture ONE variety of amplified speaker docking station for the iPods or IPhones than to do the same for the numerous form factors of Android phone designs, unique interfaces, and overall peculiarities of them and actually make them look good and work properly.

If there were one thing that Google could do to crush Apple once and for all, it would be to standardize the location, style, functionality and number of pins on the interface connection (beyond just the USB), and the shape of the form factor where that interface were placed on ALL Android phones. However that would be basically impossible to accomplish and they would likely be accused of trying to control the market and squashing creativity. Funny how Apple gets away with that and does so unscarred.

This may all be a moot issue soon however since wireless connectivity is fast becoming the communication and control interface of choice and may soon do away with the need for a hard wire connection altogether on virtually all devices.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Icyhot1966

Reaction score
I think for the massses the iphone 4s is probably better..most people just want a phone that works.The iphone does that well,my fiance loves hers,she tried android,it just wasnt for her...her iphone never lags or freezes,or requires a reboot for no reason..I wish I could say the same about android... The razr is wide too,an iphone is so much easier to hold and text or browse with one hand...However for those who want the latest greatest available,are tech savvy,want open platform,and value high speeds 4g, and all the customization the Razr is the clear winner,the HDMI out,file sharing and available docks,lapdocks,and mounts only add to the advantage to those who want them....Iphone..one phone,one choice,no options,and boring....but very stable,and reliable....

I want to say I agree with most, but the iPhone isn't boring. If it is, all phones are boring. We're talking about an inanimate object here :) But, certain area I find Android lags behind iPhone is apps. Twitter is big with me and I couldn't find a great Twitter app on Android. On iPhone, Twittelator Neue is a simply gorgeous app. And there are so many more Twitter apps in the app store than in the Android Market. Web browsing...app store has so many 3rd party apps but none better than Atomic Web browser. I couldn't find one that suited my needs in the market. These are areas where Apple excels. My only complaint from people who bash the iPhone and call it iCrap or iJunk is most of them haven't spent any quality time with it. Use it for 90 days as your daily driver. Then see if you still feel that way. I've seen mention of specs. Sometimes we put to much stock in that. Apples dual core is only clocked at 800Mhz per core but it's FAST. The RAZR has 1.2Ghz but it's faster than than the 1.5Ghz found in the Rezound. Bottom line is this..if you have either the RAZR or iPhone 4S, you have a great device and we should all be so lucky.