razr maxx will not connect to pc

skipbl92

Reaction score
I have never had this issue with the maxx, but i work with motorola hand held scanners. I find that switching usb ports helps. The other would to go into device manager and remove the device (most likely has a yellow exclamation point) can be found under HID devices or USB devices. Once removed replug device into another usb port.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I have never had this issue with the maxx, but i work with motorola hand held scanners. I find that switching usb ports helps. The other would to go into device manager and remove the device (most likely has a yellow exclamation point) can be found under HID devices or USB devices. Once removed replug device into another usb port.

I agree with skip, often the front USB Ports are not recognized properly for some reason. Another thing that could resolve the problem is installing a new USB card in an open slot on the PC. They are so cheap at this point, it's worth a try, and it will enhance your computer's function.

As technology advances, even though newer devices are supposed to remain compatible with the older protocol versions, it often turns out they aren't. This is very common in USB as well as in things like WIFI compatibility. Generally it's slight protocol errors with the older devices and the newer ones may be less forgiving of those slight protocol incompatibilities.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It very well might be user error. That's why I came to this site - hoping if it was, you could tell me how to do this. Instead, I get made fun of.

Frankly, I didn't see anyone making fun of you on this thread. If people do make sarcastic contents, it's usually in response to comments they take exception to, such as "I hate my ...", "should have gotten an xxxxxx phone" or similar comments of frustration.

People on these threads usually grow very attached to their phones and are also often very polarized against competing brands such as Apple, or even competing Android phones. They take it personally, almost like as if you were insulting their brother. They also feel like comments of that nature are an indication that you've given up already, and that any effort they put forth to help may be wasted on their part, as is often the case. That's no excuse for their actions but resisting making comments of that nature will eliminate most, if not all of those types of attacks.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Could also be a bad cable.
OP you're getting grief because your problems are non-problems.

The Razr will play video files (I rip DVD's and they play fine) I also play any video that I've taken with previous phones and my video camera. I've never had a problem connecting via USB, just remember to pull down the notification bar. Ring tones are a piece of cake to set for each contact.

Frankly you seen to be a bit of a troll. If an iPhone will do it for you for Bob's sale get one. Good luck.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
It could also be a bad phone that needs to be replaced. Start with those that ppl who have suggested ideas, start with the simple to the more complex. Ignore those that offer no suggestions. Most ppl are here to help you be successful with your new phone.

First, plug in USB and then on phone, pull down the notification bar from the top, touch where it says USB connection, choose USB mass storage. Also the first time you plug your phone into puter, you will get a pop-up on your PC telling you that windows needs to install driver software. Make sure you install the driver software. If none of that works...

Try a different USB port, if that fails

Try a different computer if you can.

If none of these ideas work, let us know and we can try to walk u thru more possibilities.

You may have a bad phone. You can find out by going to a Verizon store and having them try (easiest) or call them and they will help you trouble shoot.

Hang in there, all is not lost.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Could also be a bad cable.
OP you're getting grief because your problems are non-problems.

The Razr will play video files (I rip DVD's and they play fine) I also play any video that I've taken with previous phones and my video camera. I've never had a problem connecting via USB, just remember to pull down the notification bar. Ring tones are a piece of cake to set for each contact.

Frankly you seen to be a bit of a troll. If an iPhone will do it for you for Bob's sale get one. Good luck.

Johnny, you bring up one very good point in that the cable could be at the root of the problem. Many times we overlook the obvious (i.e., "is the power on", etc.) as the cause for apparent failures. A bad cable may work fine for charging, but be completely useless for data communication, due to only one thin wire that may have snapped.

As for the comments of trolling, etc., we have to put our heads inside of the situation and given the circumstances consider the level of frustration the OP may be feeling and how it can cause him to vent those frustrations in this open forum. Please don't judge him for what he says in frustration, but find a way to help him by solving the problem, thereby relieving his frustration. Remember, it may be you in a similar situation, and I'm sure you would want the same consideration.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It could also be a bad phone that needs to be replaced. Start with those that ppl who have suggested ideas, start with the simple to the more complex. Ignore those that offer no suggestions. Most ppl are here to help you be successful with your new phone.

First, plug in USB and then on phone, pull down the notification bar from the top, touch where it says USB connection, choose USB mass storage. Also the first time you plug your phone into puter, you will get a pop-up on your PC telling you that windows needs to install driver software. Make sure you install the driver software. If none of that works...

Try a different USB port, if that fails

Try a different computer if you can.

If none of these ideas work, let us know and we can try to walk u thru more possibilities.

You may have a bad phone. You can find out by going to a Verizon store and having them try (easiest) or call them and they will help you trouble shoot.

Hang in there, all is not lost.

Excellent suggestions.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
When I had the g nex, I had to use another PC to unlock the bootloader cuz for some reason it wouldn't work on mine. Connected to thePC, saw the phone..must have been a driver issue.

I just found out I have to disable my firewall to connect external hard dives. Internet security might be an issue too. I had just updated my firewall...

Might need to update Motorola drivers also.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Excellent suggestions.

Wow, thank you! Coming from our resident expert made me feel like a million bucks! Thanks!

forumjunkie44

Reaction score
Make sure you use the cord that came with the phone. I went through the same thing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using DroidForums

keysersoze1973

Reaction score
Thanks for the effort, but that didn't help. The phone and PC don't recognize that they're connected. Should have just gotten an iPhone...

make sure the latest motorola drivers are installed on your pc......I know I ran specifically into this issue...Drivers available on motorolas's website....

shr14

Reaction score
maybe your fix

Thread title sums it up. Connect the USB this horrible phone came with to it and my PC, and nothing happens. PC doesn't realize anything is plugged in, and neither does phone. Any suggestions, short of taking a baseball bat to this expensive mistake of a phone?

I stumbled on this looking to fix same issue. turns out my problem was I got the usb charging/sync wire mixed up with others that I have. you must make sure you use the one that came with the MAXX. I swapped cords and it popped right up instantly. the reason I thought of this I had the same problem with and extention cord for my daughters Ipod dock. there is one that only supports charging and a different one that supports playback features. good luck IPHONE is lame compared to the MAXX.

DeanFr

Reaction score
I found this thread cause I am having the same issue with my New Razor MAXX. I am using the cord it came with. I am connecting to an iMac. No pop ups, no drop downs to pick from. It did start charging the first time I tried this, but NO menu or area at the top to modify my connect to 'mass storage' or whatever. I had tried switching USB ports...I have even up plugged...plugged in, unplugged the phone, then plugged in...etc.

To continue troubleshooting, I took that same cable and plugged in my Droid 2 (R2D2) and boom, it found it, the Droid 2 asked me what to do when connecting to computer...iMac loaded it fine...all was good. Then plugged the Razer MAXX in again and nothing at all. The only thing I having done is go to Moto website and download 'divers'...but I don't see that being need to just connect as a Mass Storage...but I could be wrong.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
This sounds so simple but sometimes the simplest things are what we miss and I know for me, it took me a bit to discover it because I was accustomed to the automatic pop up.

When you plug it in to your Mac, pull down the notification status bar. There should be a USB symbol icon. Touch that icon and you should get the pop up with four choices (charge only, mass storage, PC and media... something along those lines).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

DeanFr

Reaction score
no, it's blank when I pull it down. I do have the 'charge' light, so it feels the 'power' of the USB. BTW, I did go through settings, development and made sure the USB option was checked and I have even check 'unknown' sources during this testing. I did find a software update, just did that and still the same issue. I looked for drivers at the moto website, and they only have PC drivers not MAC for USB drivers. I am fix'n to reboot computer, unplug everything and see what happens.