Razr maxx root

krazzyjman

Reaction score
Is the root for a droid razr maxx on ice cream sandwich the same of the root for the regular maxx?
I didn't see a thread in the maxx section for rooting that is why I am asking
I want to root because it seems ever since the ICS update my battery life is much less and my phone is always hot
Thanks

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
In the Hacks section if you download the Razr Utility version 1.8 it has an option to root the Razr running ICS. However just rooting your phone is not going to do anything as far as your battery is concerned.

There are steps that you can take after that will help, but some of them you can do now. Might be better to get to the root cause of your battery problem before rooting and adding another variable to consider.

I would download something like GSAM Battery Monitor from the Play Store and let it run for a few hours and see what is eating up your juice.

One thing you can check is how is the 4G coverage in your area? With ICS they don't make it easy to switch to CDMA only, it can be done but not with the normal menus.

If you dial *#*#4636#*#* from your dial pad you can get to the back end settings menu, go to Phone Information and then you can scroll down a bit and see the radio and select CDMA auto (PRL). See if that helps.

Last edited:

aarong03

Reaction score
Sydman said:
In the Hacks section if you download the Razr Utility version 1.8 it has an option to root the Razr running ICS. However just rooting your phone is not going to do anything as far as your battery is concerned.

There are steps that you can take after that will help, but some of them you can do now. Might be better to get to the root cause of your battery problem before rooting and adding another variable to consider.

I was download something like GSAM Battery Monitor from the Play Store and let it run for a few hours and see what is eating up your juice.

One thing you can check is how is the 4G coverage in your area? With ICS they don't make it easy to switch to CDMA only, it can be done but not with the normal menus.

If you dial *#*#4636#*#* from your dial pad you can get to the back end settings menu, go to Phone Information and then you can scroll down a bit and see the radio and select CDMA auto (PRL). See if that helps.

The Thunderbolt LTE APP works great for switching between 3G and 4G.

OP
krazzyjman

krazzyjman

Reaction score
So I take that as a yes that it is the same?
I plan on flashing a rom and over/under clocking when needed. I have rooted and flashed all of my previous droids, I was just unsure how to do this one
Thanks

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
So I take that as a yes that it is the same?
I plan on flashing a rom and over/under clocking when needed. I have rooted and flashed all of my previous droids, I was just unsure how to do this one
Thanks

I guess I am confused on the question, what method are you asking about for rooting the Razr either with or without ICS?

The Razr Utility version 1.7, 1.8, and 1.81 will root a Razr or Razr Maxx running ICS. Any version before will not work for ICS, but will work for devices still running Gingerbread.

Alternatively the 1.7, 1.8, and 1.81 will probably still root a Razr running Gingerbread. As far as other root methods I can't speak for them because the utility is the only one I use.

OP
krazzyjman

krazzyjman

Reaction score
That is what I was looking for. I just wan't sure if the razr maxx root was the same file as razr with ICS. You have answered my question
Thank you :D

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Perfect, happy to help.