ICS Root Check

OP
SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Are you absolutely positive you don't have system/bin/su or system/xbin/su? I don't think it matters if superuser.apk is on there or not. I think they care if the su binary is there. I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just wondering if maybe that's hanging around somewhere and triggering it?

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Can anyone verify that fxz'n back to .905 still reads 1?

OP
SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
P3 has already tried MANY things and the counter does NOT get reset. Of course if you go into recovery on 905 it won't show, but, if you upgrade back to ICS, it will. The FXZ does NOT reset it. It's being stored in a partition we don't have access to. Matt Groff theorizes it could be in CID, but, no one's sure yet. In any case, if P3 says it can't be reset, then it's not getting reset by any of us.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So you're sayin that when someone goes to .232 from stock .905 for the first time it reads as 0 but if they root while they're on ICS, then fxz back to .905, and eventually reload ICS unrooted still shows the 1?

dautley

Reaction score
So you're sayin that when someone goes to .232 from stock .905 for the first time it reads as 0 but if they root while they're on ICS, then fxz back to .905, and eventually reload ICS unrooted still shows the 1?

It has probably been built in all along, but in ICS Recovery is programed to actually go in and read where ever value is stored and makes it visible. I'm willing to bet Moto has a diagnostic tool that can tell all kinds of things about the history of your phone. How many times it's been flashed, rooted, booted, etc...

OP
SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Yea, it seems to be if it was ever rooted, even pre-ICS, once you go to ICS recovery it shows you. So it looks like they've been keeping tabs on it for a long time and are now exposing a readout on the recovery screen once you go to ICS. Sweet ain't it? There can't possibly be any nefarious reasons for wanting to do that! :D

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Except to deny warranties when they feel like it...lmao.... but unlikely they will for any power accounts imho

OP
SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I tend to agree. I haven't heard of any claim being denied simply for root...so far. Even this check wouldn't have helped them on the bionic I had replaced. Kinda hard to get to it without a working screen. LOL. Which obviously was a hardware defect and not "root related". I can understand if someone overclocked it while rooted and fried it. But for the majority, root is not going to cause problems that should deny a warranty claim.

nateohio

Reaction score
SamuriHL said:
I tend to agree. I haven't heard of any claim being denied simply for root...so far. Even this check wouldn't have helped them on the bionic I had replaced. Kinda hard to get to it without a working screen. LOL. Which obviously was a hardware defect and not "root related". I can understand if someone overclocked it while rooted and fried it. But for the majority, root is not going to cause problems that should deny a warranty claim.

I agree also...matter of fact, i see phone warranties going the way of computer warranties. Change the software or overclock and burn something out? Not supported...Headphone jack goes bad? Supported

Don't know how long it'll take to get there but i think it'll happen eventually.

OP
SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Yea, and quite frankly if you overclock your phone and break it, why SHOULD you get covered? That raises the cost for everyone else who doesn't do that. These are the risks people take engaging in these activities. The risks they agree to by doing so. They can't have it both ways. I don't feel that simply rooting, however, should void a warranty. It's only if you then do something stupid that causes your phone to break. That should be true whether rooted or not IMO.

buellboy9

Reaction score
I'm hoping the next Nexus phone is released on T-Mobile. I'm really getting fed up with both Verizon and Motorola lately. Sad, because Motorola Mobility is now owned by Google. I'd hoped that would mean things would get BETTER, but they're not.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Google has been tracking root to a point for a while now. If your phone is rooted and you try to access the Google music, television, or movies, you cannot access anything you purchase from the play store on a rooted phone. VZW tracking root isn't really a shock, however it may boarder on a privacy infringement, guess it depends on how the contract is written. Once you buy the phone you should be able to do what you want to it, after all it is your property. Now with that being said, do what you want but live with what you do, don't try to cheat the system and make someone else pay for your screw up.

Maddog241

Reaction score
Google has been tracking root to a point for a while now. If your phone is rooted and you try to access the Google music, television, or movies, you cannot access anything you purchase from the play store on a rooted phone. VZW tracking root isn't really a shock, however it may boarder on a privacy infringement, guess it depends on how the contract is written. Once you buy the phone you should be able to do what you want to it, after all it is your property. Now with that being said, do what you want but live with what you do, don't try to cheat the system and make someone else pay for your screw up.

Honorable words, but hardly the American way anymore. Very few today are willing to stand up and take responsibility for their actions... they all want to blame someone or something else for things that happen.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Maddog241 said:
Honorable words, but hardly the American way anymore. Very few today are willing to stand up and take responsibility for their actions... they all want to blame someone or something else for things that happen.

Agreed.