Razr Maxx, poor battery life on little use

wyld

Reaction score
Could always check and see if you have the in pocket detection is on. That's the first thing I learned when I got my razr. That feature alone is a big battery drain.

Razr-Eclipes-1.2.1

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
I've now installed Juice Defender. Got it set to disable data when the screen goes off. I created a white-list to allow apps like TuneIn and iHeartRadio to run with the display off but data stays. I'll see if that helps. Yep I've got LTE turned off. I have AnyCut so I was able to place a shortcut to the data screen of the phone. Same for CDMA/LTE options. When I get 4G (which should be just a few weeks). I don't plan to keep it enabled unless I need it. I do sideload apps (not wallpaper or p0rn stuff) I don't have a lot of money. We'll just leave it at that. Just to be safe, I have Norton. But nothing in the setting for that show it using background CPU. As for DaTuner its a guitar/music tuner. I do use it some. I use TuneIn and iHeartRadio 70%, 20% calls 10% texting.

Zandar

Reaction score
Did you check for pocket detection, like wyld mentioned? That's a useless feature that kills battery.

The stock battery meter doesn't say what polls the CPU very well. It could be that you have apps polling the CPU, but not for much time. They would appear to have very little usage, but they would keep your CPU from going into standby. Unless you're streaming all the time, you ought to have more standby time. Try an app like WatchDog to see if you have anything going on in the background that the battery meter in Settings isn't really picking up.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Did you check for pocket detection, like wyld mentioned? That's a useless feature that kills battery.

The stock battery meter doesn't say what polls the CPU very well. It could be that you have apps polling the CPU, but not for much time. They would appear to have very little usage, but they would keep your CPU from going into standby. Unless you're streaming all the time, you ought to have more standby time. Try an app like WatchDog to see if you have anything going on in the background that the battery meter in Settings isn't really picking up.

Oh yeah pocket detection is off. I agree total battery killer. Plus its a waste as it doesn't even work well. Got WatchDog. It doesnt show anything funny.

Sent from my Motorola (Droid) Razr Maxx.. out in the boonies of TN while picking on a guitar!

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Use today. Nothing but calls

Sent from my Motorola (Droid) Razr Maxx.. out in the boonies of TN while picking on a guitar!

Zandar

Reaction score
According to GSM Arena, you should get 20+ hours of talk time with your Maxx. You're way off from there.

Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX battery trial is over, meet our new champion [TEST] - GSMArena Blog

You may have a bad unit. Yes, things like Norton could be sapping battery; but that ought not matter to this degree. You could always try a factory reset and run without any apps for a day, but that would kind of suck. I'd see about getting a replacement, honestly. I wish I could give out better advice, but I just don't see what else is killing your battery. Anyone else have any ideas?

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
According to GSM Arena, you should get 20+ hours of talk time with your Maxx. You're way off from there.

Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX battery trial is over, meet our new champion [TEST] - GSMArena Blog

You may have a bad unit. Yes, things like Norton could be sapping battery; but that ought not matter to this degree. You could always try a factory reset and run without any apps for a day, but that would kind of suck. I'd see about getting a replacement, honestly. I wish I could give out better advice, but I just don't see what else is killing your battery. Anyone else have any ideas?

Yeah i'm getting it exchanged. As it is now with charging it a small bit during the afternoon. Still low tonight.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
My battery is doing awful today.
the battery meter is the circle icon on the notification bar. It doesn't show in the bar this time. But as of now it's 94%

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Battery life is much better.

Shoyubox

Reaction score
Battery life is much better.

Ah, did you have to exchange it?
I'm having some battery issues too...
Trying out all the tips on this thread first though.

...But, if it doesn't work out...
Exchanging it sounds better and better...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This is strange. Had my Razr off the charge for only 30 mins and it's down to 95%. Not much running either.

This isn't as strange as it may seem. Once the battery is fully charged to 100% (whether on or off while charging), the charger shuts off all power to the battery and goes into standby to prevent overcharging and doing harm to the battery. This can be proven by looking at the battery icon while on. If it has a lightning bolt on it and it's changing from almost solid green with a small portion black to solid green, it's charging...and if there isn't a lightning bolt and instead it's solid green 100% of the time, it's in standby.

Then if the phone is on, it is now pulling power back out of the battery even though it's still "plugged in". If it remains plugged in and on, it will continue depleting the power of the battery until the meter reaches 90%, at which point it will resume charging to "top off" to 100%, and then resume standby mode and start the watch and wait process again. With a phone on while connected to the charger, this can happen several times over a night's sleep, and when you remove it from the charger, it can be anywhere from 100% to as little as 90% charged to capacity depending on when you disconnect it. In your situation, you may have pulled it off the charger when it was already partially depleted and then in the 30 minutes you had it disconnected from the charger it "seemed" to draw 5% of the power. Also worth noting, if it shows 95%, that means it has AT LEAST 95% but not 96%, so it can have 95.5% or 95.9%, but will show 95% until it reaches 94.9% at which point it will show 94%, and so on.

Another interesting and strange effect these batteries have is the fact that they drop in available voltage rather quickly during the first 20% or so of charge from capacity, then the voltage levels off for about the next 60% or so, and finally starts to drop rapidly again during the last 20%. This is of course, assuming the charger and metering system have been properly calibrated to the battery's actual capacity (charging to 100% with power off, using to 15%, and then charging to 100% with power off again).

The same holds true even if the phone is powered off, however it will obviously not deplete anywhere near as quickly as it will while still powered on and connected to the charger but on stand by. Still, you might have pulled it off the charger during a power-off charging cycle while it was in standby mode, and it could have already lost as much as 2 to 4%, which would then correspond fairly to the 95% level after 30 minutes of use.

Last edited: