Razr Maxx battery life

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
Why am I not getting this extra long life with my battery everyone is talking about? My last phone was a Droid X2 and it's battery performed better than my razr maxx. I got the phone 3 days ago, so I thought I may have just been using it too much. I didn't charge it last night to test this. I went to bed at 11 pm with 40% battery. I woke up at 4 am to an alert letting me know my battery was at 15%. I let the battery die down and then I charged it completely. I have barely used the phone today. I've exchanged a handful of texts and read a couple of emails and my battery is down to 60% in about 10 hours. I have less widgets running than i did on my X2 and have downloaded very few apps. My settings are the same. I can't put a finger on what may be going on. Any suggestios?

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Well have you looked at your battery usage information? That will give you an idea what is using power.

OP
ndtaylor77

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
The Droid operating system and display are the biggest users of battery. My display has been on less than 20 minutes total today.

SEColwell

Reaction score
This mine for today and as you can see I am at 44% after 15 he off charge...and 4 hrs of screen time

Mr.Colwell's Razr Maxx covered with an otterbox defender with an invisisheild screen protector! ®™

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1330740877052.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1330740877052.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 715
  • uploadfromtaptalk1330740891096.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1330740891096.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 580

coolbreeze704

Reaction score
This phone is amazing. The worst I have seen is 36 hours run time between charges. Most charge cycles last more than 48. Using Smart Actions properly makes all the difference. Got to use the Wifi when you can and turn the 4g/3g off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
Why am I not getting this extra long life with my battery everyone is talking about? My last phone was a Droid X2 and it's battery performed better than my razr maxx. I got the phone 3 days ago, so I thought I may have just been using it too much. I didn't charge it last night to test this. I went to bed at 11 pm with 40% battery. I woke up at 4 am to an alert letting me know my battery was at 15%. I let the battery die down and then I charged it completely. I have barely used the phone today. I've exchanged a handful of texts and read a couple of emails and my battery is down to 60% in about 10 hours. I have less widgets running than i did on my X2 and have downloaded very few apps. My settings are the same. I can't put a finger on what may be going on. Any suggestios?

Are you on 4G all the time or you switch between 3G and wifi?

MrTommy

Reaction score
I dunno about you, but MY battery performance is wonderous!

This phone is amazing.Got to use the Wifi when you can and turn the 4g/3g off.

Exactly my sentiments! I came from an original Moto Droid I, and the performance of the battery on this new Maxx is almost beyond description (compared to my old Droid, of course). I've even opted to leave my mobile charging cord at home when I head off for my usual 14 hour day of driving a truck. Worst so far (in the two weeks I've owned this new one) is coming home with 50%. I talk a lot, surf moderately with 3G/1G (since here in the middle of Nevada you're lucky to get ANY G), and do considerable texting. Not sure what these other folks are doing to get such poor performance from their batteries.

xxwabbit

Reaction score
I used to freak out with my d1 when I would get down to 30%. But with this phone, when I get down to 30% it doesn't just drop off to zero in a hurry, it takes it sweet time.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I rarely get less than 3h of screen time with 50% battery left. That is regular daily use on 4G. On the weekend when I use it less and mostly on wifi I typically get 2 full days off charge before needing to juice up again. I have never been in a situation where I have had to worry about going dead. And I don't baby it. Everything on, screen at 80%, no smart actions, etc.

Tap'd to the Maxx

SallyC

Reaction score

Trikotret is asking the right kind of questions - if you are dropping charge that quickly when you're not using the phone, something in running that doesn't need to be. Look at data connections and apps like Facebook. I would consider using Smart Actions to control some of your usage (like turning off 3G/4G data when you have wifi access) and/or using a program like Juice Defender.

OP
ndtaylor77

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
I'm usually on 3g. I don't live in a 4g area. My battery was at 40% last night when I went to bed and at 40% this morning when I woke up. I had the phone connected to wifi and in airplane mode. I also removed a couple of widgets. I understand there are certain things I can do to increase battery life. I just don't understand why I lost 25% of battery two nights ago with the same things going on as I had on my Droid X2. My X2 never lost 25% in a night. I actually had more widgets and apps running on my X2.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Your Location is killing your battery. X2 was 3g phone, razr is 4g. My guess is you are in an area with weak 4g reception and phone keeps draining battery trying to hold on to 4g.

pcataldi

Reaction score
The MAXX guarantees up to 21 hours of talk time, not data surfing. The built in task manager has been great for me. There have an auto end list where you can place apps that will automatically shut off 2 minutes after the screen times out. I listed facebook and all of my video and map apps as they are data hungry. Also, if you are not in a 4g coverage area, shut off your 4g. The phone will continue to search for 4g signal although you are not in a 4g area.

DocsDad

Reaction score
Your Location is killing your battery. X2 was 3g phone, razr is 4g. My guess is you are in an area with weak 4g reception and phone keeps draining battery trying to hold on to 4g.

I think what Xeene is suggesting is to attempt to cure this by going to menu/settings/wireless and networks/mobile networks/network mode. Choose CDMA (no LTE) and it will turn 4G off. The 4G search kills battery.

When your city goes 4G, turn it back on. :)